Fan Clubs Network

Open Club  ·  42 members  ·  Free

Martial Arts

Why hasnt WWE had a black heavyweight champion?

Guest FreeSpirit

Guest FreeSpirit

Ive noticed that over the last two/three decades or so that WWE havent had a black heavyweight champion (I know a lot of people will think of The Rock, but he's mixed race) and Im just wondering why this is?

Is it that mainstream public wouldnt accept a black champion, are the black superstars that have come and gone from WWE (or are still there) simply not good enough to hold the belt, or is there another reason?

Im black myself, and not trying to start a race row on TWO, but I do feel that this is a legitimate question.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ravenmark

WCW had the first ever black Heavyweight champion (I think) in Ron Simmons.

Simmons was extremely popular too.

I don't think it's an issue to the extent that the mainstream public wouldn't accept a black champion, I think it's a case of there hasn't been a black wrestler who in the opinion of the WWE, is over enough or talented enough to carry the ball, so to speak.

It could be argued that Booker T should have been World Heavyweight Champion (within WWE), but if the WWE doesn't think that he had enough 'about him' to carry the company, then they won't give him the belt.

Shelton Benjamin is viewed by many as the future of the WWE and subsequently a future Heavyweight champion.

I really don't think it's a case of racism or 'mainstream public unnacceptance' at all.

Ive noticed that over the last two/three decades or so that WWE havent had a black heavyweight champion (I know a lot of people will think of The Rock, but he's mixed race) and Im just wondering why this is?

Is it that mainstream public wouldnt accept a black champion, are the black superstars that have come and gone from WWE (or are still there) simply not good enough to hold the belt, or is there another reason?

Im black myself, and not trying to start a race row on TWO, but I do feel that this is a legitimate question.

i dont think its a racist sign at all because how many Black people in the WWE are ready for a World Title run, i think Shelton Benjamin will get a WHT run in the future, but anyone who says its all down to the colour of their skin is wrong. you earn the WHT by your workrate and if there isnt and black WWE superstars ready for a WHT run then thats not anyones fault and it definatly isnt being racist.

They've had plenty of mixed-race champions such as Rocky and Yokozuna, so it's not really a race thing.

It's just co-incidental that the major players in wrestling have all been white, sans Rock.

Guest Dutch

The only black wrestlers that i can think of in the wwe at the moment are Shelton Benjamin who should be champion in the future who also had a lengthy title reign and Orlando Jordan who is currently the US Champion. Booker T should have got the title 2 years ago at wm 19 even if it was only a short reign

Maven has been released. So other than Benjamin i dont think there are any other black wrestlers who could be heavyweight champ at the wwe unless wwe bring in Monty Brown

Guest Anime Otaku
The Rock IS black, he is african american/Samoan both of which are considered blacks. As for the lack of coloured champs in general there has been a fair few though not too many black people have really been considered good enough to be WWE champ though i think both Shelton Benjamin and Booker T should get it soon.

Guest Ed_666

I agree that it's not to do with colour/race although I think The Rock counts as a black person, I would say.

There's not been any English WWE champions, Australian ones, or pretty much any other country in Europe, or asian, eskimo or indian (american), and probably lots of other groups, so it's just a coincidence. A lot of black wrestlers have been pushed in WWE, just not to the top, but how many white wrestlers don't make it to the top too?

Ed

Guest The Beltster

The Rock might be black, but because he doesnt look like a 'regular' black person, he is thought of more as mixed or even *gasp* white!

Shelton wont be the WWE or World champion unless he learns how to brawl and how to cut a good promo.

Guest The Beltster
the rock looks white? *Makes an Optitions appointment for Captain CharisMa*

Well he certainly doesnt look black! And I didnt say that I specifically think he looks white, but I'm sure if you were to ask people, they would either say mixed or white, for the most part.

Hulk Hogan has darker skin than the Rock, and he is white. The Rocks skin is so pale and his bone structure in his face is nothing resembling your 'regular' looking black male that he doesnt look like a stereotypical black man, not to me anyways.

http://www.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/08/180px-Therockportrait.jpg

http://www.blackmeninamerica.com/KennB.JPG

Guest The Beltster

I think black people are just allowing the rest of us a sport to be the best at. They are the best at 99% of every other sport ever created and win EVERYTHING in the Olympics pretty much, so they are probably sat back thinking:

"lol, yeah, we will let the whities have pro wrestling, its not real anyways and is full of rednecks! Ha!"

(BTW, thats a joke, nobody get all bent out of shape...cheers!)

Guest the_orton_mark
IMO, it's just because no one, untill Benji, has had the credentials to become a new heavyweight title contender, and Benji is still dodgy enough on the mic that he may not get it. And after his performance at raw last, if he keeps it up, he won't deserve it.

Guest charlie MFkin parker
(BTW' date=' thats a joke, nobody get all bent out of shape...cheers!)[/quote']

alrite then we wont, boyo :)

Cheers!

Guest Anime Otaku
Well he certainly doesnt look black! And I didnt say that I specifically think he looks white, but I'm sure if you were to ask people, they would either say mixed or white, for the most part.

Hulk Hogan has darker skin than the Rock, and he is white. The Rocks skin is so pale and his bone structure in his face is nothing resembling your 'regular' looking black male that he doesnt look like a stereotypical black man, not to me anyways.

http://www.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/08/180px-Therockportrait.jpg

http://www.blackmeninamerica.com/KennB.JPG

If you looked at The Rock's Passport or Birth Certificate i'm 100% certain it would say black/negro as his ethnicity no matter how comparitivly pale skinned he may actually be.

Guest The Beltster
If you looked at The Rock's Passport or Birth Certificate i'm 100% certain it would say black/negro as his ethnicity no matter how comparitivly pale skinned he may actually be.

Your missing my point: I'm not saying is ISNT black, I'm saying that I would bet ALOT of wrestling fans dont think of him or consider him a black guy and the first WWF/WWE black champion.

He doesnt look like a regular black guy, he looks mixed race or even like a white guy with a good tan to some people I'm sure.

He doesnt have the stereotypical black persons wider nose, he doesnt have the usual black persons thicker lips, he simply doesnt have the facial structure of the majority of black people, thus he doesnt look like "your average" black guy, it throws people off.

So, again, I'm not questioning his race, yes he is a black/somoan guy, what I'm saying is, alot of people dont think he is, I'm sure of that.

I agree with most of you guys, its not the fact that the WWE is holding any balck champions down, its just no black wrestlers have stepped up to the plate, I'm sure when they do, McMahon will be more than happy to put the belt on whoever it is.

Guest The Beltster
If Ahmed Johnson wasnt so sloppy in the ring and injury prone, he would have been WWF champion in 1996 I'm sure of it.

There haven't been any mainly because they arn't that good. Even the good ones, have always had someone better who are more suited to World Champion ie Stone Cold, Hogan, Michales etc.

There haven't been any mainly because they arn't that good. Even the good ones' date=' have always had someone better who are more suited to World Champion ie Stone Cold, Hogan, Michales etc.[/quote']

I don't think its a matter of "they arn't that good", I think its more due to the fact that black people are from a minority in the states, so its obvious there will be more white people as champions.