Fan Clubs (beta)

Old School Computer magazines

Guest A.C.

As enny fule no's - in the 80s, Britain was the pioneer when it came to monthly publications for microcomputer. Being that they really caught on just as I was old enough to have a paper round and interest I used to spend ALL my money on the mags. This in the days of tape-to-taping Spectrum games and getting hacked pirate disks for the Atari ST so I very rarely bought any games.

I loved them all - C&VG, ZERO, Sinclair User, Crash, ST Format... the list is nigh-on endless! But the jewel in the crown was ACE - Advanced Computer Entertainment.

What computer mags did you buy in the golden age? Any memories of the best free covertapes/disks? Funniest features or predictions you can remember?

The reason for this does of nostalgia is that I'm DOUBLE-chuffed that there's a bloke that has been scanning these magazines and selling them on DVD-ROM at what I think is a pretty reasonable price. For the princely sum of £14.99 I now have all 55 issues of ACE magazine on my computer to peruse at leisure. I started on Issue 1 last night - read the thing cover to cover and it took me back to my formative years in a fantastic way.

Here's the link:

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/zzuperstore.html

:xyx

C&VG. With my Gameboy, NES and later my SNES, I was all for multiformat magazines. I had hundreds and hundreds of these magazines, and I'd do by best to memorise the ratings that they gave all the games. That way, if someone said "Should I get Bomberman or Universal Pool?", I could say "Bomberman got 89%, Universal Pool only got 56% in C&VG, I'd buy Bomberman". It very rarely worked like that, and I owned both Bomberman AND Universal Pool.

I also started buying Gamesmaster magazine from the very first issue, up to around the late ninties. I was such a big fan of the show, obviously I wanted to get the magazine as well when it was launched. It would have been around 1998 that I bought my last Gamesmaster magazine, that was around the time I got my Playstation and switched to buying the official PS magazine so I could use the demo disk.

My dad started buying PC Format magazines a long time ago too, that would have been around 1996/1997 when I got my first computer. Again, it was mostly for the stuff on the disk which came with it, but the magazine itself had some games reviews that interested me. I don't think my dad has bought a PC Format magazine for a good few years now, since he realised he could get all the content for free online. Still, the cupboard in my house's spare bedroom is filled with PC Format and Playstation Magazine demo disks, which I could probably sell for 50p each to a stupid old women at a car boot sale and still make around £150.

Most of the magazines themself though have been thrown out, which happened when I moved house in 1997. I remember a load of cardboard boxes sitting in my garage, all filled to the top with old comics and magazines. If only eBay was as popular back then, I'd have made a small fortune.

Guest PHIZZLE
I used to buy a commodore 64 magazine i think it was called commodore format my brother was a runner up in a competition on it but never got his prize If I remember I was just a game and the games were very cheap but it was still quite annoying at the time

Guest MojoPogo
I used to buy Crash. Zzap 64 also! Ahh, the memories. The bungled attempts at programming.....the multiload tapes, that crashed after 10 minutes!!!!

Used to buy: *deep breath*

Amstrad Action

Amtix

CPC User

C&VG

ACE

Amiga Format

Amiga Power (actually had a couple of reviews published in that)

Amiga Shopper

PC Format

Amstrad Action was my first obsession magazine wise - bought that from day one and I made a point of buying every month's MasterGame and Raves - kept a list of them and bought them in order of highest rating :D

When I switched to the Amiga, Amiga Power was the games mag, Amiga Format was the serious mag. I still remember sending my cheques off to New Zealand for the latest version of Virus Checker from John Veldthuis... *sigh* nostalgia rocks.

I don't buy any now.

Guest MojoPogo
Here's another CLASSIC mag, which introduced me to the delights of importing and manga and anime - SUPER PLAY! for the old SNES. It became Play but lost all of its old staff and style. For me that was the greatest ever magazine, had a crackingly oddball sense of humour too, with fantastic manga inspired art on the cover! Not for them the crappy generic European or American stuff!!!

I just spent an hour poring over a tribute site to the awesome Amiga Power magazine thanks to this thread. Absolutely great site, full of little behind the scenes stories from the mag's history as written by the mags own staff... including the failed lawsuit from Team 17 and the succesful one from Ocean after they printed a reader's letter that said "Ocean are a crap company". Genius.

It's weird how well the memories of these magazines stick in the memory. I've been poring over the ACE magazines trying to find their classic spoof feature on the product that would surpass Virtual Reality - Actual Reality!

I'm sure Actual Reality was one of them. Lemme have a look...

...only seen the Actual Reality on a cursory glance but it may be that the April Fools weren't always multi-page features.

Edited by A.C.

Guest MojoPogo
I remember the rubbish (they seemed cool at the time) giveaways you always got, like posters of half naked women (Barbarian anyone?), pencil sharpeners and sweets! They dont make them like they used to.....

I remember the rubbish (they seemed cool at the time) giveaways you always got' date=' like posters of half naked women (Barbarian anyone?), pencil sharpeners and sweets! They dont make them like they used to.....[/quote']

YES! The Barbarian poster with Maria *goes to Google it* Whittaker! One of my first crushes as pimply oik, I reckong!

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/9551/barbarian16xs.jpg

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/7614/barbarian28se.jpg

Guest MojoPogo
YES! The Barbarian poster with Maria *goes to Google it* Whittaker! One of my first crushes as pimply oik, I reckong!

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/9551/barbarian16xs.jpg

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/7614/barbarian28se.jpg

Hmm, Maria Whittaker (Homer style drool......).....wasnt Wolf from Gladiators in the Barbarian 2 one as well?:xyx

Great stuff, have to get the CVG and Mean Machines discs. There is an awesome commodore 64 site that has everything ever released on the machine. All legal now because you can't buy the games anymore. Have a look!

http://www.c64.com/

There's so many memories here. Hunchback, Donald Duck, Block Out, Formula 1, the original Football Manager, basically everything I used to play in my first years at school in the 80's. Terrific.

Guest MojoPogo
I loved Hunchback! That rope bit really did my head right in!!!! Hunchback 2 was rubbish though! Remember Ghouls and Ghosts on the Megadrive? Utter nails.....just about tossed it out the window about a million times. Other favourites included Mercs (brilliant, but easy) and Cannon Fodder! (like sensible soccer with guns! Brilliant!)