Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Why do you like/dislike John Cena?

Guest Craig

Ever since John Cena won the WWE Championship last year, he has been surrounded by controversy. Be it internet fans constantly bad-mouthing the guy, more and more fans starting to boo him, or some internet fans actually defending him.

But what is it exactly, what one (or many) thing is it that causes you to just hate John Cena? Is it his rapping gimmick? Is it because he's not the greatest in the ring? His ''bling bling sideshow'' belt? Or is it something completely different?

On the flipside of that, for those of you that like him, what is it that draws you to him? His promos? His wrestling style? Or is it just because he pisses off alot of smarks and you just like to piss off alot of smarks? :P

Me personally, I started out as a huge fan of his before he became a ''rapper'' so to speak. He showed some promise, having good matches with Angle and Jericho. (Then again, he was fighting Kurt Angle and Chris Jericho.) When he became the rapper, I started to go off of him for a while, and it wasn't until his fued with the Undertaker in 2003, and his earlier fued with Lesnar for the WWE title, that I started to get back into him, and his fued with Angle towards the end of the year made me a fan. But when he became face, I once again began to go off of him some more. He went on through 2004 as the United States Champion or challenger, and had some sub-par matches with Booker T. In 2005, when he won the tournament to get a shot for the WWE title at 'Mania, and went on to beat JBL, I'll admit, I couldn't have been happier. (But in all honesty it may have just been because JBL had finally lost the title) Cena's fueds with JBL and Christian kept me mildly entertained, and both of the matches that came out of them (The ''I Quit'' Match and the Triple Threat, respectively) were actually quite enjoyable. When he was in his fued with Jericho, I really started to become a fan of his much like I was before his face turn, and thouroughly enjoyed the fued and the blow-off match at SummerSlam.

But then my opinion of him completely changed during the Angle fued, and went from being a on-again, off-again fan, to just, well, meh. I may get some flack for this, but I've never really cared for Angle. Yea he's a great wrestler, he just does nothing for me. So of course, the fued just did nothing for me, and it wasn't until Daivari was thrown into the equation that I really started to like him more and more. At Survivor Series, even though most people hated it, I enjoyed the Special referee match they had. It may have been incredibly overbooked, but I still loved every minute of it.

Then came the Elimination Chamber match. The build-up to the match was great, but with a very, very predictable ending, and a lack of interest from the wrestlers on my part, (only really caring for Carlito, Cena, Kane, and Michaels) I wasn't exactly looking forward to it, and I began to (once again) go off of Cena. But then Edge beat him after the match. And then Cena became the challenger, not the champion. Much like before, I liked Cena challenging for it, and the match that they had was not all that bad, nor was the rematch the next night. Now with a possible fued set up with Triple H, it really depends on how the fued goes if I'm a fan or not. If Cena is put up as at least an equal to HHH, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Otherwise I could probably care less.

And as far as Cena's wrestling ability goes, I don't really care how great the match is as far as skills go. If the build-up to the match can keep me interested, and the match itself is at least above average, and the crowd is into it, I'll love it. Which is most likely why I've enjoyed most of Cena's matches from the past year. And I truly believe that Cena gets far more critism then he really deserves. If he messes up one move, or doesn't do a suplex as crisply as Chris Benoit, then most will jump all over the guy and complain that he can't even do a suplex right. Although, some of the critism is deserved, I don't think he deserves as much as he gets.

But basically, as far as it goes for me liking/disliking Cena, it basically boils down to his current fued and/or opponent, but I reckon that's how most wrestlers are anyway, be it there current fued, opponents,gimmicks, or matches, you'll always like them for one of those reasons.

*if a mod wants to close this just in fear of it becoming a Cena sux thread, or because it might be just a repeat of some things said before or in other threads, then I'll understand.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its the things he says that makes me wanna punch him (obviously if i did punch him he'd kick my ass :P) but things like 'The Champ is Here' well i'll tell you this Cena, we know your the champ! you dont have to tell us! is like he knows he sucks so he's rubbing it in our faces that he's the champion even though he sucks.

i've said all the other reasons time and time again so i dont need to repeat them ;)

Guest Lagwagon

Well my the biggest reason why I don't like Cena is because I hate rap.

Another thing is I hate his five moves of doom. Way to repetitive in his matches. That's the big two reasons why I don't like him.

Another thing is I hate his five moves of doom. Way to repetitive in his matches. That's the big two reasons why I don't like him.

6 moves of doom now with the STFU :P

its the things he says that makes me wanna punch him (obviously if i did punch him he'd kick my ass :P) but things like 'The Champ is Here' well i'll tell you this Cena, we know your the champ! you dont have to tell us! is like he knows he sucks so he's rubbing it in our faces that he's the champion even though he sucks.

i've said all the other reasons time and time again so i dont need to repeat them ;)

Saying "The Champ Is Here" is almost like a direct aknolwedgement of Samoa Joe, his trainer. Joe, whenever a champion in RoH, uses the song "The Champ Is Here" by Jadakiss as an intro.

My main prob with Cena is I'm a fan of workrate and good rap music. While he is okay on his songs his freestyles are terrible.

I found him perfectly entertaining in his feud with Jericho and Christian because he had two ultra-charismatic guys to feed off of. And in the match, he had to really good workers to worry about the technical aspect so he could just focus himself on delivering on the superficial level, so it worked.

When he's with Master's however, I hate both of them equally. With Carlito it used to be bad but 'Lito has shown great improvements in ring.

The WWE smartened up big time after that travesty that was his WM21 and have only booked him with good workers, too bad they were the very same workers who people have been wanting to get the belt for years.

Guest Lagwagon

Holy crap your right. Thats amazing. Next thing you know he will just add an Fu to all his moves. DDTFU,SFUPLEX, when will it stop.

We have had this thread so many times, I don't like Cena as a face because he can't play a good face, simple as that. He is good at a heel because he is more free to say what he wants and just had better promos and it actually looked like he wrestled well in the ring.

john cena is shite he cant wrestle, hes a f*cking singer not a wrestler, its all they wee stupid kiddies that think he can wrestle buy all his stuff thats why we need to put up with him

I actually liked Cena back in 2003 when he was heel i thought he played that role to perfection, but then i he turned face and i don't like rap music at all and dissing gays isn't really going to make me like him.And most importantly i'm a fan of great wrestlers which Cena isn't.He never really bothered me as he was on Smackdown and i didn't watch that but then he was traded to Raw and i was forced to watch his awful matchs and awful selling i just cut my loses and stopped watching the WWE.

Guest Evil Monkey

When Cena first came to the WWE I thought he had potential, but my mind changed when he became the US champ, way before there was thought to him being WWE champ.

Simply put, his ringwork is terrible (does he really have as many as 6 moves?!) and his selling is nothing short of wrong. His matches are always the same - get pounded on for 18 minutes, then make a 2 minute come back.

On the plus side, I think he is decent on the mic.

Basically, he has every right to be in the WWE, but as far as I am concerned, he should be nowhere near top flight, maybe not even US/Intercontinental title material.

Guest Danny Styles

now THAT annoyes me... giving the worst wrestler in the main event seen a submsion hold.. its ludicras...

i hate Cena and i make no bones of that fact (ent that right Brad:P )

for me i respect people who go out there and wrestle.. promos are an extra but if you can't get it done in the ring (regardless of what you say this business is about WRESTLING) i don't like him...

plus i HATE rap.. and i think that he has pissed all over the WWE title and turned it into a joke

he was the first guy to make me turn of a WWE show (when he showed us the new belt) and his promos are annoying... he's not over and the only reason he has the belt is so HHH can take it of him.. he does nothing for buisness anymore and his only fans are kids and women.. in a buisness that is manly teenage guys and men as the fans..

he sucks.. there is nothing more to it...

Guest PHIZZLE

Personally I like cena when he actually raps dissing people and is actually going with the rapper gimmick but not when he is trying to be Stone Cold

I like alot of people liked Cena better as a heel because he was aloud say things on the mic that he can't say as a face

He was a great heel he'd come out with a rap dissing the place he was in

Now though he comes out this chaingang crap and that belt is hideous but I can't see the point of the belt its going with the rapper gimmick so its ok

His moveset is limited but isn't he supposed to a street guy so if he start wrestling like Benoit It wouldn't really suit the character would it?

Finally I really think its time for Cena to turn heel again

Guest Al Stevens

I'm going to say this about the "five/six seven moves of doom" which you guys carry to b**ch and whine about. He is playing the baby face there role is to get the living crap beaten out of them and then come back within five moves to win the match.

If you guys want to bitch about this then you should look at the top baby face of them all Hogan. What was most of hogans matches like. Hogan getting the tart kicked out of him, he would hulk up come back five moves later he would be named the winner. It's a tested formula which has been done through out the years of professional Wrestling.

Also i have heard that Cena is suppose to be a really good chain Wrestler as well it's just the fact at the moment he is stuck with this baby face role which restictes his move list.

Ha, here's a long list:

1. I hate his "wannabe-ness"

2. I hate his clothes (jeans, wristbands etc.")

3. I hate the way he has changed the name of the "STF" to the "STFU"

4. I hate how ineffective the F-U would be in reality.

5. I hate the stupid bands he wears around his shoes.

6. I hate his voice

7. I hate the "IF YOU WANT SOME, COME GET SOME!" put on voice that he does.

8. I hate his raps, although, sometimes they're not THAT bad.

9. I hate the "5 Questions with the Champ" segment of WWE.COM were he quite clearly picks the questions/somebody else refuses to allow him to answer a challenging question.

10. I hate the way people are interested in joining his "Chain Gang"...what the hell do they do in the "Chain Gang" anyway? Support Cena? Just cheer for him, not make a gang...

11. I hate what he did to the WWE Championship (although I didn't really mind the United States Championship)

12. I hate the way he "pumps up" his shoe tongue.

13. I hate the padlock he wears around his neck...

14. Last, but not least, I hate the way he sags his "jeans" and we can see his boxers.

I should really end this pointless rant there, or I could be here all night.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I'll have you know that John Cena Move Count © can be anywhere up to 18 moves of doom. This weeks RAW's JCMC was its lowest I think ever at 6, and we all know that Maria was the workhorse of that match. :P

God, why I like Cena.Hmm... because:

-- He's a fantastic talker. Say what you will for the content, which more often than not isn't his fault and proof of why writers should never script promos, but he carries off his promos better than you could really expect considering. He has a natural charm, a good presence, doesn't fumble over his words and can deliver in different tones, from cocky to happy to aggressive to rap-stylee.

-- He is diverse. Guys like Orton and Batista are too one-dimensional. You can't turn Orton babyface because he's too naturally smarmy and arrogant. Batista can turn face or heel, but his character is pretty much the same - monster. Cena went from an aggressive half man half robot figure to a happy go-lucky babyface rookie to a heel rapper to a babyface rapper, and has succeeded almost every time.

-- He turned a potentially career-ending gimmick into the hottest merchandise seller in years. Many would have fallen, but Cena made it work. Remember, Cena wasn't turned babyface for a laugh. He was getting huge cheers as a heel from the fans. He HAD to be turned.

-- He tries hard. This might seem like an insignificant point, but I'll use Kevin Nash as a counterpoint. Many have said that Nash is a better worker/champion than Cena, which is arguable but not impossible (except in terms of merchandise with which Cena has him whipped). My problem with Nash was that as bad as he was, he hardly ever looked like he gave a toss. He went in, did his bit and walked out with his paycheck. As bad as Cena can be (and I still maintain that workrate is far overrated, as the ratings prove with sex, stunners and searches being the big rating hits on RAW), he looks like he is really giving his all, and has added a number of moves to his repetoire, some of which shouldn't even be done by guys who are supposed to be brawlers (his excellent leg drop off the top to Jericho at SS went largely unnoticed by people who moan about the lack of interesting moves he does).

-- He rarely has bad matches in a PPV main event. You can credit his opponents all you want, and yeah, they do a lot of work. But Cena is very carryable, and has had some belters, not just because he's carried, but because he has really good chemistry with them. Jericho is a huge example of this. I can't for the life of me find one flaw in the Cena/Jericho feud, bar the repetitive storyline nature. They worked excellently together, and I REALLY enjoyed their feud, to the point that it got me back into RAW after losing interest due to Batista.

-- Smarks hate him because of his 'workrate'. F**k workrate :)

Guest Evil Monkey
If you guys want to bitch about this then you should look at the top baby face of them all Hogan.

I cant stand him either!

Guest Al Stevens

Sem i appreate that statment however i want to ask you something. How the hell do you know he cant Wrestle. Are you going on what you have seen in WWE at the moment?

I'm gonna say this the one thing which you can not take away from any "professional" sports sta (Regardless if its Football/Soccer rugby wrestling boxing) to be professional means you need to have something which stands out more than say the normal joe from three streets down. So to take that into some consideration ANYONE who makes it to WWE or any high profiled promotion regardless what gimmick they are stuck with have to be something different to say the person who is ripping off a current WWE/WWF gimmick

Being fair his gimmick is stale he needs to turn back to being the heel which got him over with the fans in the first place.

Do you really think Vince would try to cash in with the MTV generation. Cause if that is the case then why havent we seen Black Wrestlers rapping to cash in the success of a Dr Dre back in 1997. Simple Answer he didnt so dont assume thats the fact with Cena. However i can see where your getting the idea from looking at how he dresses.

Finisher wise it's a poor mans DVD. However what would rather him use a punch, a kick to the nuts or a full nelson? Also dont hate him cause he has a sqaure face..... Triple H has a nose which probally needs three post codes but you dont hear me complain about his wrestling ablity

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity