Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

The real " Total Package"?

Guest Dan

The term the "Total Package" seems to get branded about quite alot when it comes to talking about wrestlers, but who do you think really has the "Total Package" ?

Some of the things to consider could be;

• In ring ability
  • Charisma
  • Microphone skills
  • Work ethic
  • Attitude

etc.

So, who would you consider a "Total Package" in the wrestling world, and who would be the ultimate "Total Package"?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

For me, its the Rock. I mean, the guy had it all, he had everything. He had in ring ability, I mean he rarely had a bad match and is heavily underrated as an in-ring wrestler, IMO. He had tons of charisma, more than almost anybody. He had the look, the image, his mic skills were pretty much second to none and his work ethic and attitude were better than ANY other top line main event guy in the history of the business, never complaining about doing the job, working with, and putting people over who were below him.

The legit total package in pro wrestling is/was the Rock, no doubt.

Guest Slim Jim
For me, its the Rock. I mean, the guy had it all, he had everything. He had in ring ability, I mean he rarely had a bad match and is heavily underrated as an in-ring wrestler, IMO. He had tons of charisma, more than almost anybody. He had the look, the image, his mic skills were pretty much second to none and his work ethic and attitude were better than ANY other top line main event guy in the history of the business, never complaining about doing the job, working with, and putting people over who were below him.

Completely seconded from start to finish.

Austin or Foley just can't make my mind up. Would have said the Rock but i just cant agree with him for the In Ring Ability factor. Don't think ive ever seen a match were Rock has impressed me in the ring.

Certainly agree with all that, Rocky is the ultimate total package.

Other wrestler who past or present who I think could be shortlisted would be;

Randy Savage

Ric Flair

Stone Cold Steve Austin

Kurt Angle

Take away the in-ring ability, and right now it's John Cena.

But as far as history goes, I agree with Beltmark. The Rock is, and probably for the next twenty years will go down as probably THE total package. Did he draw the most? No. But what he had that Austin and Hogan didn't was the mainstream crossover appeal. He had an insanely good work ethic and for a guy in his position was as unselfish as anyone in the business ever. Considering he didn't even need to be as well for a guy in his position, it's admirable to the highest level. And his mic skills are unlike anyones in the business history. No one is in his league, and if he came back tomorrow, you'd realise how much wrestling needs him right now.

Guest Danny Styles

My main is Eddie Gurrero.. great to watch, worked his ass of, didn't have a bad look, made you laugh etc,

he had it all

one other would be Roddy Piper in his prime maybe

Guest The Beltster
one other would be Roddy Piper in his prime maybe
I wouldnt say Piper, personally, because he was shockingly piss in the ring and he looked like hell.

Guest Gooneronastick

The Rock and Kurt Angle are the obvious choices for me. Belty, your post is spot on but I'm sure Angle also fits into those criteria mentioned.

And I'm sure HHH would also fit into that bill too. I'm not an HHH fan by any means but he has charisma, can talk, no doubts about his in ring prowess and has the look too (he just needs to shave that damn Lemmy-tashe). From what I've read in other people's biog's, his work ethic is superb (backstage politics aside). As for his attitude, when the story needs him to job, he does (WMXX comes to mind immediately).

I agree with Belty 100%, The Rock had it all, his Promo's were Gold and whatever he said in his promo's he can back it upm in the ring, something that alot of wrestlers cant do, The Rock could make a crowd erupt just with a simple raise of the eyebrow, no one has got the crowd popin' as much as The Rock (or Austin) so thats why i'm saying The Rock, he had it all, and he still does, it's just up to him to do something about it.

If being decidedly average in every area makes you the 'Total Package' then yes indeed Triple H is the Total Package.

But to people who really could be considered the 'Total Package'. Cliched choice I know, but Ric Flair has to get a mention being that he is the greatest all round performer in wrestling history. I have said it a bunch of times before that no one has ever been able to combine the entertainment side of wrestling with the in ring skills as well as Ric Flair did. Was he as unselfish and as giving as The Rock? Probably not, but then what top level guy has ever been as unselfish as The Rock? Flair did use politics but I don't think anyone could question that when he got in the ring his attitude was excellent, making a bunch of different guys (Luger, Sting for example) look better than they could ever make themselves look and in the case of particularly Sting, he basically made him a superstar overnight. The criteria that Dan mentioned: in ring ability, charisma, image, microphone skills, work ethic, attitude, Flair had them all and then some.

I'll also have to follow some of the others in this thread and say The Rock. When he would make his unfortunately infrequent appearances in 2003 or 2004, it was always funny to me to see just how far ahead of anyone else in the WWE he still actually was. He would show up and entertain me more than anyone else in the entire company. Vastly underrated in ring in that you would have to try very hard to have a bad match against the guy, charisma to burn, fantastic on the mic, had a tremendous work ethic, had the attitude that a main eventer should have in that he was confident enough in his own ability to realise that no matter how many jobs he did he would still remain over and could still draw a bunch of money. Some other wrestlers I could mention could take a lesson from the guy.

Another one is obviously Steve Austin who in my opinion is second only to Ric Flair as the greatest all rounder in wrestling history and it is very close between the two of him. I absolutely love The Rock but I would put Steve Austin ahead of him in pretty much every area bar maybe the 'attitude' criteria because we know of the rumours of him refusing to put over certain people (but like I mentioned somewhere else, I agree with him every time). Rock was more unselfish than Austin of course, but Austin for me is a better 'Total Package'. The guy just had it all, tremendous charisma and one of the greatest mic workers of all time. An absolute workhorse of a performer who busted his ass damn near every time he was in the ring. He was a guy who could sell people on a match or an angle based on one promo, a guy who could add buyrates to a PPV with one single promo. If anything, he doesn't get the credit he deserves for his ring skills. I would put Austin behind maybe Benoit and Eddie Guerrero as the best wrestler in the WWE in the last 10 years. I really am serious when I say I would put him ahead of people like Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. He was tremendous in 96 and 97 and people often forget that throughout his run in 98 and 99 he was wrestling with a broken neck so he had to change and adapt his style (something a certain Mr. Angle could learn from). When he finally was forced to have the neck surgery he returned in late 2000, took a couple of months to shake off the ringrust then had one of the greatest years any wrestler has ever had, in 2001. Austin was just an absolutely phenomenal wrestler.

Edited by Naitch

Guest PHIZZLE

Kurt Angle for me - there no one better in ring he can carry nearly anyone to a good match and his promos are hilarious

I'm just a sexy Kurt I'll make your ankle hurt

Other guys have it are Steve Austin, The Rock, Eddie Guererro and Chris Jericho

Edited by PHIZZLE

As been said Rock is the obvious No.1

Austin, Flair, Angle etc aswell.

I'd give Eddie and Jericho the benefit of the doubt, I think you could class them as 'Total packages' aswell.

I wouldnt say Piper' date=' personally, because he was shockingly piss in the ring and he looked like hell.[/quote']

Totally agree with Belty on that on, plus the fact he didn't like to job cleanly to anyone. He ticks the boxes for charisma and microphone skills, but other than that, he doesn't tick anything else.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity