Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Interesting...HOF (RAW spoiler)

Guest The Beltster

Guest The Beltster

With the news of Verne Gagne being inducted into the HOF, and with himself and Hulk Hogan being together in the same room, I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall, what with Gagne offering the Shiek $100,000 in 1984 to break Hogans legs and take the WWF title to the AWA with him.

Shame Hogan Knows Best has wrapped up filming on the second season, they could have caught something.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i doubt they'll be any heat between Hogan & G. Gagne, it's nice to see Vince having the Owner of his competition back in the day inducted, shows that the WWE HOF isnt JUST for WWE & ex WWE talent.

how many people are left to be announced tobe inducted this year?

Edited by Ryan

Guest The Beltster
Im just glad to see Gagne getting inducted. The HOF is starting to mean something at last.
At last? The HOF has meant something since the start, it was just forgotten about until 2004 and had a few odd inclusions, and certainly since WMXX it has meant something.

Having Gagne inducted it nice, but it certainly doesnt make the HOF any more legit than having Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Mr. Wonderful, Andre the Giant, Billy Graham etc in there I wouldnt say, especially Hulk Hogan. If anybody should be in a WWE HOF to give it an air of authenticity, its Hogan. Austin will likely head in there in the next few years aswell I should think.

i doubt they'll be any heat between Hogan & G. Gagne, it's nice to see Vince having the Owner of his competition back in the day inducted, shows that the WWE HOF isnt JUST for WWE & ex WWE talent, makes me wonder whether Vince will induct Ted Turner......naaaaa.

how many people are left to be announced tobe inducted this year?

No I doubt there will be any heat between Hogan and Greg, but there is certainly tons of heat between Hogan and Verne, no doubt about it, I'm sure. And for how many left, I think one, making up six...although, they might announce one each week upto WM making eight. Edited by MrFill

Guest MojoPogo
At last? The HOF has meant something since the start, it was just forgotten about until 2004 and had a few odd inclusions, and certainly since WMXX it has meant something.

Having Gagne inducted it nice, but it certainly doesnt make the HOF any more legit than having Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Mr. Wonderful, Andre the Giant, Billy Graham etc in there I wouldnt say, especially Hulk Hogan. If anybody should be in a WWE HOF to give it an air of authenticity, its Hogan. Austin will likely head in there in the next few years aswell I should think.

Sorry, should have added imo. I still feel there are a few top, top wrestlers missing, but i accept you cant please everyone, all of the time. :oops

I still feel there are a few top' date=' top wrestlers missing[/quote']

But that's the catch, if Vince has ALL of the big names inducted first, then they'll be no one left to induct, and they'll just be a bunch of randomers being inducted that no ones heard of because all of the big recognisable names are already inducted.

Guest The Beltster
I agree with you, Antihero, there are some people there who might not deserve it and there are guys who do deserve it who arent there yet, thats very true. Thing is, like Mr. P said, WWE dont want to induct all the top guys at once, and in essense 'blow their load' with the HOF. Its kinda like how they release WWE action figures, you release them in waves of say, 6 or 8, have 1 or 2 top top top teir names and then fill the rest of the wave out with midcarders, so you can save more top line guys for the next wave. If they had inducted all the top guys over the last 3 years since they resumed the HOF, then all that would be left would be jobbers for the next several years and so on.

Guest Edgehead
Just imagine if the Sheik had broke Hogan's leg. Would Hulkamania still have taken off?? It could have changed the course of professional wrestling

Guest The Beltster
Just imagine if the Sheik had broke Hogan's leg. Would Hulkamania still have taken off?? It could have changed the course of professional wrestling
One of two things would have happened, it would have changed everything, or wrestling would be 6-12 months behind where it is now, but things would have all happened pretty much the same...its hard to decide, I'm extremely glad it went how it did, though :lol

Guest The Beltster
didnt someone pay Bruiser Brody to jump the rail at WM1 and attack Mr. T? if that woud of happened would wrestling still be the same today? WM1 would of been ruined?
I have heard that rumour aswell. I think, if it had happened, wrestling would have been fine. Reason being, the event was already sold out and a success, and if T was attacked before the bell, they would have either replaced him with Superfly or had Hogan beat them both on his own, which would have made him look all the more unbeatable. Also, they could have then promoted a rematch, WITH Mr. T involved, as a main event somewhere else down the line and people would then likely sell that event out too.

Guest MojoPogo
I agree with you' date=' Antihero, there are some people there who might not deserve it and there are guys who do deserve it who arent there yet, thats very true. Thing is, like Mr. P said, WWE dont want to induct all the top guys at once, and in essense 'blow their load' with the HOF. Its kinda like how they release WWE action figures, you release them in waves of say, 6 or 8, have 1 or 2 top top top teir names and then fill the rest of the wave out with midcarders, so you can save more top line guys for the next wave. If they had inducted all the top guys over the last 3 years since they resumed the HOF, then all that would be left would be jobbers for the next several years and so on.[/quote']

Ok im sold! excellent. You're right, sometimes im almost too rabid when expressing my opinions. Good point, well made! Well done that man, who says the age of well thought out intelligent discussion is dead? :xyx

Guest MrFill

I have 2 words to say that will prove that the HoF is a complete and utter joke:

PETE ROSE!

The guy was a comedy act for the WWF, getting destroyed by Kane several times - if that means that he should be in the Hall Of Fame, then every jobber ever to have been in the WWF/E should be in there already.

Guest The Beltster
I have 2 words to say that will prove that the HoF is a complete and utter joke:

PETE ROSE!

The guy was a comedy act for the WWF, getting destroyed by Kane several times - if that means that he should be in the Hall Of Fame, then every jobber ever to have been in the WWF/E should be in there already.

But there was a reason why Pete Rose was inducted: mainstream publicity. You have to remember, at that specific time, there was a huge uproar in the US sports madia that Pete Rose was NOT going to be inducted into the Baseball HOF, which he deserved, because he threw a couple games or was gambling on the outcomes, something like that. Vince capatalised on this huge media swarm around Rose and said "Well, if Baseball wont let him into their HOF, we will let him into ours!", the fact that he appeared at several recent WM's was perfect timing. Vince recieved a TON of mainstream publicity right at WM time by inducting Pete Rose, so although he might not deserve to be there, it made perfect sense at that specific time.

But there was a reason why Pete Rose was inducted: mainstream publicity.

Is that something a HOF really needs? Shouldnt if anything in wrestling should be legitimate rather than about money shouldnt it be this?

Guest The Beltster
Is that something a HOF really needs? Shouldnt if anything in wrestling should be legitimate rather than about money shouldnt it be this?
It was more to get mainstream publicity for WrestleMania XX than for the HOF. To wrestling fans, I'm sure that its almost blasphemous to have Pete Rose in there, but in the real World, wrestling is a business like no other, there to make money and the HOF is no different, its nothing more than a promotion tool to let people know who some guys are or bring back memories of others, bring them back into the spotlight so when they release books, DVD's, toys and so on in the Legends line, newesr fans know who they are and older fans are reminded of them.

Again there were many ways the mainstream could have been brought in, hell The Rock was part of the show and he was a much bigger name thanks to the films he was in at the time.

And while I do see your point about the money making, I firmly belive a HOF is one of the few things that should be kept seperate from that. But I guess thats just a minority belief.

Guest MrFill

All sports are there to make money, but none of the other Hall Of Fames allow entrants who are there for comedic value, and that's all Rose was.

Seriously, it might be about the money, but that means that the entire HoF is there for money purposes, which makes it worthless to any of the "real" entrants.

Sorry, but that one publicity stunt took the HoF from being a mark of respect to being a "yeah, we think you're OK - so we want you on TV again just so that we can grab some money from your appearance".

Guest The Beltster
Again there were many ways the mainstream could have been brought in' date=' hell The Rock was part of the show and he was a much bigger name thanks to the films he was in at the time.[/quote']At the time, the Rock wasnt a patch on Pete Rose as far as getting mainstream nationwide attention goes. Rose was HOT in the media in 2004 when he was inducted, and specifically the fact that it was do to with a Hall of Fame made that much more sense for WWE to use their own Hall of Fame to get attention for themselves. On top of it all, I have to commend Pete Rose for being EXTREMELY humble and fully admitting during his acceptence speech, that he didnt deserve to be there and how much he respected the wrestlers and so on.

And while I do see your point about the money making' date=' I firmly belive a HOF is one of the few things that should be kept seperate from that. But I guess thats just a minority belief.[/quote']Its probably not a minority opinion, but business is business and really, the only persons opinion that matters is VKM, and he does it the way he see's fit, regardless of fan opinion, sad but true. I, personally, wouldnt have put Rose in, BUT I understand why he was, and I must commend Vince's spur-of-the-moment thinking to put him in when he did.

All sports are there to make money' date=' but none of the other Hall Of Fames allow entrants who are there for comedic value, and that's all Rose was.[/quote']No, he WASNT comedic value, did you totally ignore my post? Fill, he was inducted because of all the mainstream media attention he was getting at that time when MLB refused to put him in the Baseball HOF, so Vince put him in HIS HOF and the media cottoned on and in every media outlet (and there were tons) who reported that WWE were putting Pete Rose in their HOF, they made mention that "WMXX will be the night after!" It was pretty much marketing genius, free, GREAT press. It made perfect sense.

Seriously' date=' it might be about the money, but that means that the entire HoF is there for money purposes, which makes it worthless to any of the "real" entrants.[/quote']Of course its there for money and promotional purposes, thats good business sense, its also there as a "thankyou" to alot of stars. Its not worthless at all, unless you take it too seriously and make it something its not. Fact is, its to promote these old stars, throw them a bone and for people to feel good watching them get some spotlight, it also makes WWE some cash and everybody is happy.

Sorry' date=' but that one publicity stunt took the HoF from being a mark of respect to being a "yeah, we think you're OK - so we want you on TV again just so that we can grab some money from your appearance".[/quote']You are taking it way too seriously and not looking at it from a logical business sense. It is a mark of respect for alot of stars, its also a promotional tool to make money. Regardless of anything, there are alot of worthy stars in there and there are a few who dont belong, but overall its a fun thing to watch each year and thats the most important thing.

I'm glad Gagne is being inducted as he is a boneifeid legend in the buissness of pro wrestling,whats the bet he's inducted as the WWE asked him to take part in the AWA.I will defeanetley buy the Wrestlemania box set this year just to see Gagne on it,does anyone know how this came about? as there was alot of legitamate heat between the two back in the day (being gane and the WWF).Man this is SOOOOOOOOOO awesome now i just need to hope for Bockwinkel.

And to think i wasn't even going to read this thread lol, i was having a REAL bad day to day but this news has cheered me right up.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity