Fan Clubs (beta)

Latest PS3 Report, Alongside The Latest XBox 360 Rumour

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

PS3...courtesy of Reuters

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. will delay the release of its new PlayStation 3 video game console until early November because development of some of the technology is behind schedule, Japanese newspapers said on Wednesday.

The Nihon Keizai said consumer electronics makers and movie companies have been unable to reach an agreement on the development of the copy protection technology for the console's Blu-ray Disc drive.

Sony said it would hold a briefing on its PlayStation video game business at 3 p.m. (6:00 a.m. British time) on Wednesday, but declined to give details.

Sony shares fell 1.3 percent in early trade to 5,500 yen after the reports.

The PS3 launch has been the subject of heavy speculation in the industry as expectations are high for the powerful machine, which will feature cutting-edge technology in its DVD player, processors and graphics.

The console is expected to enable users to play games and movies as well as to download and view high-quality videos from the Internet.

Rival Microsoft Corp. released its next-generation Xbox 360 console in late 2005 and Nintendo Co. Ltd. plans to start selling its Revolution console this year.

Andy Parsons, a U.S. spokesman for the Blu-Ray Disc Association, said, "Any assertion that there is a delay in the copy protection technology is something we are not aware of. As far as we are concerned, everything's on track."

The papers said the PS3 will be launched almost simultaneously in Japan, the United States and Europe. Sony has never said officially in which geographical region the players would launch.

Sony, maker of the market-leading PlayStation 2 console, announced the PS3 last May. A spokesman for Sony in the United States said the console was still slated for a spring 2006 launch.

The Mainichi report said that should Sony launch PS3 this spring, only half a million units would be ready, falling short of the projected necessary shipment of 2.5 million units.

More than 100 million Sony PlayStation 2 consoles have been shipped worldwide to date.

And XBox 360 rumour....courtesy of the XBox forums (unsure on reliability)

i work at bestbuy, Store located in New Jersey. Our Microsoft rep contacted our store, and spoke to my supervisor and told him that if we receive any xbox 360 Premiums, to hold them and cannot sell them until the end of March, she stated that the reason for this was because the xbox 360 premiums would be shipped with 100 gigabyte HDDs, instead of the 20 GIG HDDs avalible now, she also said that the 100 gig HDD premiums would sell for the same price of $400. In bestbuys retail weekly i also read that in the beginning of April bestbuy is doing a promotion from April 2nd until April 15th, this promotion has to do with the media department only, they stated that we will have a huge inventory of xbox 360s. I know that bestbuys inventory and promotion news is 100% offical, but the 100 GIG HDD is not 100% offical, but seems very likely.

I want to read more about the Revolution, oh well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony has the worst kept secret ever. I'll stick with my original prediction of a 'Spring 2007' launch in Europe.

Yup, there's alot of chat about the 100gb HD on the Xbox forums. Unless you wanna store loads of music/photo's/video's I really can't see the 100gb HD being that spectacular. I only want it for game saves.

As for a revolution rumour......

From the Gamespot forums

We've known for quite a while that the Revolution was sneakily harboring yet another secret, though we never expected it to be quite this amazing. At long last, the veil has been lifted to reveal...laser beams coming right at you! If a Gamespot forum poster going by the name of "MicrosoftISdumb" is to be trusted (And why not? He seems entirely reputable!), Nintendo's next innovation is the very first and very astonishing implementation of laser beam technology in a console.

After an extremely long-winded bout of praising Nintendo's philosophy and dredging up quotes out of context, the post author makes a spectacular claim: You see, these aren't the deadly laser beams you've come to associate with poorly written science-fiction shows. Oh no, these are beams of pure, sensuous, visual pleasure. Similar to technology developed by a company called Light Blue Optics, a laser mini-projector comes attached to the Revolution, with its magical beams truly bringing your action-adventures and cooking sims to startling life. It'll project all sorts of games and movies right into your living room, making you feel as if you're actually there.

Make no mistake, this is Earth-shattering news. It blows most of our past theories out of the water, illustrating yet again how accurate and reliable information gleamed from random users on an internet message board can be. Backed up by considerable laser power, there's no way the Revolution could possibly fail.

:lol

Edited by wyndorf

Guest Christof

Well we now know the identity of one of the Revolution designers then.....

http://hollywoodcostumesandparty.com/austinpowers/evilpinkyb.jpg

Guest MojoPogo
Well we now know the identity of one of the Revolution designers then.....

http://hollywoodcostumesandparty.com/austinpowers/evilpinkyb.jpg

Excellent! Throw sony a frickin bone!:D

Guest Clarkey

Credit to gamesindustry.biz....

60Gb hard drive to be a default component, as Sony takes on Microsoft's advantage

Further details of the PlayStation 3 have emerged from Sony's business briefing in Tokyo today, with the firm revealing that the device's hard drive will not be optional, and that a free online service will roll out for the launch of the console.

It had previously been thought that the PS3 hard drive would be an optional device, as the hard drive on the Xbox 360 is, but Kutaragi was adamant today that the component, which will ship at 60Gb but can be upgraded, is required by the console.

As expected, the drive will allow the PlayStation 3 to act as a home media server, which can store and manipulate various different types of media that can then be accessed from other devices. However, it will also be capable of running a version of the Linux operating system, and will be key to the online service the company is planning.

That service, which is clearly designed as a direct competitor to Microsoft's Xbox Live, will be entirely free and will be available from the launch of the console, offering standard features such as game lobbies, player matching, voice chat and a variety of commercial features including software which will be distributed over the network and can be stored on the hard drive.

This latter feature is particularly interesting in light of the information received from development sources by GamesIndustry.biz earlier this week, indicating that Sony may be planning digital distribution of some of its PS2 and PSone back catalogue on PS3.

The company also this morning confirmed once again that PlayStation 3 will be entirely backwards-compatible with PS2 and PSone titles, and revealed that the new console will be able to upscale those games into high definition video formats.

Guest MrFill

I find it hillarious when a Sony magazine slates the Xbox 360 and says "why the PS3 is better than it".

Here's why the 360 is better than the PS3 - YOU CAN BUY ONE NOW! :P

Anyways - I believe that Sony will try for a late 2006 release to get it in before Xmas, but they'll be hard pushed to do it - I don't know if any of you remember the PS2 when it first came out, it was horribly unreliable, and it's still the least reliable console ever, so I have a feeling that the PS3 will have loads of teething problems as well.

As for the 360's increased hard disk, I'm so happy that the larger one will be out when I return to the States, it means that I'll get tons of storage for the same price, just because I "waited". :D

Guest Slim Jim

PS3 global November relase is a good thing (as in we can't sit in envy of the Japs for half a year). Also 60Gig HDD as standard and a fully online sytem dongle. Can't wait.

Also for PSP owners:

It's getting an eyetoy, Macromedia Flash support, GPS, VOIP (use it as a phone!), and some sort of PSX emulator all in the near future.

Put that in your overheating Xbox and smoke it.

Guest Nicole

Overheating? PS3's are melting discs during testing, so I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Halo 3 is rumoured to be released on the same day as the PS3. The fact that the controller of the PS3 looks like a double ended sexual instrument really puts me off.

It's[PSP] getting an eyetoy' date=' Macromedia Flash support, GPS, VOIP (use it as a phone!), and some sort of PSX emulator all in the near future.[/quote']

Yup, using 'eye toy' on a handheld. Seriously, how in the hell are they going to make that work? Do you lean your PSP against a wall and stand 12 inches away?

OH MAN!!!! you can use your PSP as a phone!!!! By today's standards, a f**king big phone, but still..........

Yup, aswell as all this you can also watch a very limited selection of movies.

Is it any wonder Sony have completely taken over the hand held games industry?............Oh wait.......

Guest MrFill
Halo 3 is rumoured to be released on the same day as the PS3.

Poor Microsoft, they'll have to keep delaying the game to ensure it comes out the same time as the PS3. :lol

The fact that the controller of the PS3 looks like a double ended sexual instrument really puts me off.

I believe that Sony have globally announced that they're not going to use that design, so it's a good thing that they've got a solid design for their console. :P

Guest MojoPogo
Ah, the old "my console company's better than yours" chestnut! here we go again!!! Look both of em are great machines (or will be in the case of PS3) you pays your money, you takes your choice! personally, i want Revolution to be a success too, so that the GAMES (after all, isnt that what its all about?) get better from all 3 companies. not at all sitting on the fence eh?

Guest Clarkey

Antihero is spot on there, and its something I've never really understood (fanboyism). Of course I understand that if you do not have the money to get all three then you have to make the decision, and through your choice you lean more towards it as the other consoles titles are of irrelevant importance to you, until you get their wares. But it just amuses me the way you can go on pretty much any Gaming forum and there are all these ickle cliques built defending why one console is better then the other. Now forgive me if my views are now so ancient that they are becoming extinct, but hasn't being a Videogames fan always been about the GAMES. Graphics, la de da controllers, the key has always and always will be gameplay. If it wasn't the case then the Gameboy would have died a death and the many consoles I have in my house would have all been ignored. A game is great on its own merits, not the console it is on.

I always make the link to wrestling, with these fans that seem to defend one particular company and completely disintegrating themselves from anything to do with a product other then the one they've grown akin to. Why cut yourself off? Watch wrestling, all sorts, and in the same light play as many sorts of games from as many great developers as you can. It is very important because with the state of the business today, originality and smaller companies that normally bring this are starting to disappear and get eaten up by bigger companies such as EA. This all draws back to fanboyism towards a particular console, people cutting themselve off from Nintendo are lowering Nintie's sales of their unique titles such as Animal Crossing, while those so pro-Ninty that they won't play anything without the red bevel as cutting themselves away from PS2 gems such as ICO. As Antihero says, let them fight it out and pick up the best games from all circles.

And while I'm posting I thought I'd just add that Miyamoto has confirmed that LOZ: Twilight Princess will function with the Revolution controller, so the sceptics can now settle whether it was delayed so long to act as a branch from GC to Revoltion.

Overheating? PS3's are melting discs during testing' date=' so I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.[/quote']

The 360- is having problems when you've bought it though. While they're still testing the PS3, they can sort out any problems, whereas Microsoft have shipped out a faulty product.

I know mine had problems, which pissed me off. Within a few days, my Call Of Duty 2 had several huge scratches on it, which was apparently down to the console being stood up, despite it being advertised like that. Ridiculous.

Generally, I think PlayStation's are a lot better, but that's down to the games for me. Who actually cares if one console is slightly more powerful? If I played on all 3 consoles, I wouldn't be able to tell which have the best graphics it's so minimal. game loading is the same - On the 360, it takes ages, and probably slower than the majority of PS2 games, so that aswell.

The whole technical side of the argument is pathetic. Buy a console for the games, not for half a second off loading times, or slightly smoother graphics. If the difference was something like an Atari compared to the oringla PlayStation, sure, but it obviously isn't.

Guest Nicole
J's copy of call of duty got scratched when his mate stood the console up, plonker :) Which games you got Jack? Loading times on the games I've played have been excellent.

Guest MojoPogo
One gripe i have with these new consoles, there making you have to buy a new tv as well. I dont have a problem with updating in my own time, however i DO have a problem when electronic companies try to force me. Hence, im not buying a 360. I'll get a portable instead.

Guest MrFill

ALL launch consoles have problems.

The PS2 was horribly unreliable when first launched.

The Dreamcast was probably the most stable launch machine that I've had.

The GameCube had issues at launch (yes, I had a Japanese one).

The Xbox had odd crashing problems at launch.

The Xbox 360 has crashing problems.

If the PS3 doesn't have problems at launch, then I'd be MIGHTY surprised.

I've owned just about every console upto this point, and each has had it's own issues - I just find it funny that the Sony fan-boys are slating the 360 when the PS3 isn't anywhere near launch. Yes, the PS3 will be a good machine, but so is the 360.

Guest MojoPogo
Correct. And this time the 360 will have had a year plus lead time, so if nothing else, this will be an INTERESTING console "war" this time. Again, as long as the competition means BETTER GAMES. Im not too bothered. Its all about the game (pardon the pun) for me. I'll get all three consoles if necessary, but i want to see what each offers. Being a mad keen fighting game, and rpg fan.

I was hoping they'd put a UMD drive on the PS3, at the moment you can only use UMD's movies on the PSP which makes them a bit pointless. As for the PSP phone thing, I believe the PSP was originally supposed to have a built in phone, as Wyndorf said it's a bit big to use as a phone, would you stand on a street corner with it pressed up to your ear?

Guest Slim Jim
would you stand on a street corner with it pressed up to your ear?

I think it'd be a VOIP thing and you'd need the eyetoy for it (built in mic), but I'm not exactly sure how it'd be used.

All I can say, is that being able to take pics with it will be pretty cool.

The PS2 was horribly unreliable when first launched.

And still is...

Also the PSP had problems with the screen and sqaure button in Japan on launch as well.

I think Sony are definately moving into the complete entertainment experience with their consoles. The PSP has music, pictures, video, internet, and more and the PS3 is just going to be taking it to the next level. It should be pretty awesome.

I don't think the 360 has been hyped enough (or atleast in the UK). Things will be much more interesting when there is some next gen competition.

Guest MrFill
And still is...

Also the PSP had problems with the screen and sqaure button in Japan on launch as well.

It's reported that Sony lose money on every PSP they sell, making their money instead on the games and movies.

As for the PS2's (un)reliability, the new design is meant to be less reliable, especially with the dop door breaking and making the machine nearly unusable.