Fan Clubs (beta)

My PS2's problem's HELP!!!!!!!!

Guest The Great Ahmar

Guest The Great Ahmar

After having my PS2 for coming up 4 years, it has started to go funny about two months ago when the DVD didn't work propably will the it freezing not and again, meaning i had to buy a DVD player:evil that wasn't a good quality as i hadn't any money at the time and needed one.

Then my games started stalling even the ones i just bought. Then today i was playin F1 2005 i was waiting for it to load and it crashed. I was scared as i read in the manual and see on the screen do not turn off. i had to as it wasn't working. I started 3 times after this and to no success as it crash during the same bit again is my PS2 now messed up?:?

Also has one else had there PS2 start running slowly after having it for a long time?

Yes, the only advice I can give unfortunately is to buy another one. I own 3 PS2s only one works. The PS2 consoles all have very short life spans

Guest Feenix

Yeah PS2's just don't last that long. Sony purposely built in many hardware defects. The fan for example, doesn't infact do a lot of good as it isn't getting air out of the areas it should be. Funnly enough if you bought a PS2 when it first came out you might have found that it nackered out around the same time as the newer network ready different coloured one's came out. From what i've heared those one's have now nackered out. Oh well, better go out and by a slimline one.

Anyway, a new PS2 will probably set you back somewhere in the region of £100

Guest Bluestiger99
After having my PS2 for coming up 4 years, it has started to go funny about two months ago when the DVD didn't work propably will the it freezing not and again, meaning i had to buy a DVD player:evil that wasn't a good quality as i hadn't any money at the time and needed one.

Then my games started stalling even the ones i just bought. Then today i was playin F1 2005 i was waiting for it to load and it crashed. I was scared as i read in the manual and see on the screen do not turn off. i had to as it wasn't working. I started 3 times after this and to no success as it crash during the same bit again is my PS2 now messed up?:?

Also has one else had there PS2 start running slowly after having it for a long time?

Call Sony. Mine had some problems as well, and the fixed it for free. All I had to pay was shipping. There is something about the laser that reads discs in there. You can also search the internet and find instructions on how to fix it yourself. http://www.g4.com I think. You'll have to browse through some stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can find something on it. Best bet is to call Sony though.

Guest MrFill

I've gone through several PS2s, they break more than any other console that I've owned.

Buy a new one for about £100, but DO NOT buy a second hand one - you don't know how unreliable it's been, and you'll only get a short warranty from the store.

I had my Ps2 Since November 2001. I was gonna get the GT3 pack at the time, PC World didnt have it but they let me have any game for 20 quid anyway, my mom chose GT3 anyway. I got it chipped in 2003 which set me back 70 quid but i got about a hundred games for nothing which was sweet. Then my chip broke, so my PS2 only plays PS2 games now, wont play Ps1 games or DVDs, but thats what DVD players and PS1's are for anyway

Guest Dazoggsta
My cousins recently stopped working, at first it wouldnt play new games, but was alright with PS1 games, so we tried cleaning the lens (he's had it from whan they came out so there was no way it was still under warrenty), but that didn't work, so obviously its knacked. Sounds like yours is doing the same thing. My cousins just waiting for the PS3 to come out.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

My PS2 is doing the exact same thing, I have had it over 4 and a half years now, the same thing happened to my brother too, his was 3 years old and stopped playing DVD's and then games, so he got a new one which was a silver slimline one costing £115, a black slimline will be about £100 and a normal (old style) PS2 is about £90 around here.

I am now saving to get a new one too and just hoping this one doesn't break beforee I can afford one

I'm suprised so many people have consoles that break. My first console was (I think) a MegaDrive II, and right before I sold that a few years ago, it still worked fine. My PlayStation 1 that is chipped, still works perfectly, as does my PS2.

The only one I've had problems with, is my 6 month old xBox 360.

I've never known anyone who has had a console break on them either, and that's a lot of consoles.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I'm suprised so many people have consoles that break. My first console was (I think) a MegaDrive II' date=' and right before I sold that a few years ago, it still worked fine.[/quote']

Oh the Megadrive II was made to last for sure! I had one ages ago and it lasted all the way until I got an N64, at that time I placed it in a shed and even though I later found the shed leaked I plugged my Megadrive back in a while ago and it still worked!

So it has lasted over 11 years, been wet and still works fine, like I said built to last :P

Guest Gemsi

I still have a mega drivein perfect working order.

We have had 2 second hand PS2's break on us rather quickly. The one we have now is brand new, but from the same shop as our laptops and old computer:. Although it does seem to be holding out well.

I think PS2's are made to break, and even when you get them cleaned, they only last a few months more before giving up.

I think you can get cheaper ones on Ebay, but obviously there gonna be mainly second hand.

Guest SuperKick Kid
my ps2 still works well, except about half way through watching a DVD, the movie get pixelated and it says cant read disk.

Guest MrFill
We have had 2 second hand PS2's break on us rather quickly. The one we have now is brand new, but from the same shop as our laptops and old computer:. Although it does seem to be holding out well.

I think PS2's are made to break, and even when you get them cleaned, they only last a few months more before giving up.

And THIS is why I said that you should NEVER buy a second hand PS2. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pirate Burchill

I got professional advice, and they said the first set of PS2 which came out were faulty and were bound to give up sooner or later, he told me this while i brought a new one, its sort of upgraded because its not faulty anymore!?

EDIT: No txt spk please.

Edited by MrFill

Guest MrFill

They can be pretty reliable, but they're also the most unreliable console ever made.

So, it's all down to luck - sometimes you can get a good one, but chances are that most people had something go wrong with theirs.