Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

***Official Smackdown Thread - 7th April*** Spoilers

Guest DanielFullard

Guest DanielFullard
Viva La Raza

April 7, 2006

Two new champions will celebrate their WrestleMania triumphs when Friday Night SmackDown invades Peoria, Ill., this week.

At WrestleMania 22, Rey Mysterio lived his dream, winning a Triple Threat Match to claim the World Heavyweight Championship. In an emotional moment, Rey celebrated with Chavo & Vickie Guerrero after the match, dedicating the win to the late Eddie Guerrero. What will be in store for the new champion this week?

Plus, JBL dethroned Chris Benoit at WrestleMania 22 to become the new United States Champion. While Benoit had JBL locked in the Crippler Crossface, the Wrestling God rolled over and used the ropes to get the pin. Will the Rabid Wolverine come after JBL for revenge this week?

Also, Undertaker’s perfect WrestleMania record stayed intact as he defeated Mark Henry in a Casket Match. What’s next on the agenda for the Deadman?

Ill be leaving when the Spoilers start tomorrow but I though a little pre-show discussion about one thing wouldn't go amiss......

Randy v Rey for the Title on this weeks Smackdown!!! Now the first thing that crossed my mind when I found out was "Surely they aren't going to take it off him this early?". Then my sense got the better of me and I realised that they wouldn't do such a thing....would they! If rumours are to be believed Orton was pencilled in to win the belt at Mania in October 2005 but things happened with Batista, Eddie etc and plans changed. I expect Rey wont be champion come the end of Summerslam but I still have no idea how long his reign will last. WWE have used "Eddie is in Hell" heat to get Orton hated and Im sure robbing Rey of the title 5 days after he won it isn't beyond them but surely they cant!!!!

JBL v Benoit rematch......If it was as dull as the Mania match then who cares

Mention of Taker too.....Wonder if he is going to work some rare tv this week

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any kind of 'magic moment' Rey thought he was going to have at Mania must have been a let down. I find it odd that they chose to go with Rey, who pretty much has the same "against all odd's" gimmick that caused the fans to turn on Cena.

I for one will not be heartbroken if Rey loses the title. Seems very unlikely, mind.

Guest stevehayes2005
can really see Orton winning it at J Day or maybe even a shock Taker title match / no. 1 contendership match??

Guest DanielFullard
Any kind of 'magic moment' Rey thought he was going to have at Mania must have been a let down. I find it odd that they chose to go with Rey, who pretty much has the same "against all odd's" gimmick that caused the fans to turn on Cena.

I for one will not be heartbroken if Rey loses the title. Seems very unlikely, mind.

Reys title win at Mania was not what it should have been. It should have been the Wrestlemania moment. it should have been given time and that should have been the ednuring image of Wrestlemania 22. instead it was rushed and made as nothing put "another" match at Mania. im sure they will make it seem more dramatic than it was on Smackdown but the truth is it was a very underwheleming moment and it should have been the complete opposite

Exactly Daniel, the WWE completely dropped the ball on the triple threat match. They don't want to make it the main event? That's fine, but giving a friggin Championship Triple Threat match 10 minutes was an utter disgrace. The match was well on its way to being a MOTY candidate too.

Giving Orton the belt would be the biggest burial they could give Rey right now, Rey should really be getting the clean win over Orton, he's lost to Orton 4 or 5 times now and never beaten him as far as I can remember.

Guest DanielFullard
Exactly Daniel, the WWE completely dropped the ball on the triple threat match. They don't want to make it the main event? That's fine, but giving a friggin Championship Triple Threat match 10 minutes was an utter disgrace. The match was well on its way to being a MOTY candidate too.

Giving Orton the belt would be the biggest burial they could give Rey right now, Rey should really be getting the clean win over Orton, he's lost to Orton 4 or 5 times now and never beaten him as far as I can remember.

There is one moment that says it all at Mania and really annoyed me......Rey is in the ring celebrating. Now as I said this should have been the enduring image of Mania but what do we get instead? Charles Robinson tapping Reys foot and rushing him out the ring so they could go to the top of the ramp and do the Chavo/Vicki moment. It would have been far more emotional if Rey had just stayd in the ring and made it clear he was "thanking" Eddie and celebrating. There was no need for Vicki and certainly no need for Chavo. But then again thats the angle they are using so it makes sense in that context.

But regardless of the celebration the match just took the whole edge of proceedings. There we had a fantastic 9 minutes of action and I was rubbing my hands that this was going to be a classic but what do we get? An abysmal ending.

Guest horsemansmiler
if we all being honest rey should not have won the title in the first place. I hope orton takes it off him sooner than later. The eddie thing as much as i respect him is growing old as they blatnetly using it to put people over.

Guest DanielFullard
if we all being honest rey should not have won the title in the first place

Based on what?

Guest horsemansmiler

Based on the fact that before eddie sadly passed away he was no where near contention for strap and all of a sudden bam!!!

They did exactly same in WCW with bret

Guest MojoPogo
if we all being honest rey should not have won the title in the first place. I hope orton takes it off him sooner than later. The eddie thing as much as i respect him is growing old as they blatnetly using it to put people over.

Sorry, but Rey deserves it as much as anybody else based on talent and the positive heat he gets, as anybody else, this in many ways is the ideal way to put the Eddie thing to bed, recognise Rey's contribution to the industry, and yes, also get Randy Orton (who'se raised his game significantly recently) the belt at backlash.....so it works all round for me.

Guest DanielFullard
Based on the fact that before eddie sadly passed away he was no where near contention for strap and all of a sudden bam!!!

They did exactly same in WCW with bret

Yes but if Rey wasnt one of the most over guys in the company he wouldnt have been pushed simple as that. Rey was already in a position where he was one of the top guys on Smackdown and a legitmiate contendor for a main event spot. Eddies death did give him that final push but you cannot solely attribute his title win to Eddies death as if that was the case Chavo would be WWE champ by now.

And using that Bret analogy is daft

also get Randy Orton (who'se raised his game significantly recently) the belt at backlash

Backlash is a RAW PPV

Edited by MrFill

Guest horsemansmiler
Sorry' date=' but Rey deserves it as much as anybody else based on talent and the positive heat he gets, as anybody else, this in many ways is the ideal way to put the Eddie thing to bed, recognise Rey's contribution to the industry, and yes, also get Randy Orton (who'se raised his game significantly recently) the belt at backlash.....so it works all round for me.[/quote']

Well i aint a rey rey hater i like him im stating he was put on the fast track to title when eddie died! It would of meant more to me if he earned it without the backdrop of eddies passing. To me it was the wrong choice at mania i love a nice family moment as much as the next but it shouldn't make someone champ. Can you really tell me at the begining of last year you could have predicted rey rey winning the title? I would have liked it and wanted it but on his on terms not forced ones

EDIT: Please learn to spell, or stop using txt spk.

Edited by MrFill

Guest DanielFullard
Can you really tell me at the begining of last year you could have predicted rey rey winning the title?

Being honest no. But he is one of the most over guys in WWE, a merchandise machine and a great worker so maybe one day he would have been given the run he is getting now

Guest horsemansmiler
a merchandise machine and a great worker so maybe one day he would have been given the run he is getting now

Yeah he is over and a amazing worker. But being a merchandise machine and all that combined isn the reason he won the strap. I do agree he was nearly there or like you say chavo would be wwe champ. But rey is more markitble and more people would buy him being champ. i aint arguing against him having belt i just think situation is shady

Guest MojoPogo
Well i aint a rey rey hater i like him im stating he was put on the fast track to title when eddie died! It would of meant more to me if he earned it without the backdrop of eddies passing. To me it was the wrong choice at mania i love a nice family moment as much as the next but it shudnt make someone champ. Can you really tell me at the begining of last year you could have predicted rey rey winning the title? I would have liked it and wanted it but on his on terms not forced ones

thing is, to me, as much as the Eddie things dragged on, i'm just happy he HAS won it, and im not going to pick over the details of what might or might not have happend, cos that drives you nuts! I realised a few months ago, sometimes just marking out for a moment is great! :xyx

Guest horsemansmiler
thing is' date=' to me, as much as the Eddie things dragged on, i'm just happy he HAS won it, and im not going to pick over the details of what might or might not have happend, cos that drives you nuts! I realised a few months ago, sometimes just marking out for a moment is great! :xyx[/quote']

Spose i will agree. Just would be amazing if he won it like Jericho did or benoit did or infact like eddie did you know?

Guest DanielFullard
Spose i will agree. Just would be amazing if he won it like Jericho did or benoit did or infact like eddie did you know?

Oh you mean when Eddie was given the title just because Brock decided to leave

Guest horsemansmiler

Well you could say that for brets first 3 title reigns couldnt you?

or austins first?

EDIT: Enough with the txt spk please.

Edited by MrFill

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity