Fan Clubs (beta)

Is there still a place for Arcades?

Guest MojoPogo

Guest MojoPogo

With the onslaught of increasingly powerful pcs and home consoles, is there still a place for arcades as we remember them? Increasingly, the only amusements seen on high streets are those with gambling machines in them. Some of my greatest gaming related moments came in the arcades, though i feel for them to truly succeed a new approach must be taken to avoid the whole dingy, chav infested sh*tholes that used to pass for arcades, perhaps with areas for internet and wi fi access, access to multiplayer gaming, and in a bright airy and spacious environment that would appeal to more than just chavs (ie get rid of the bandits!).

I still feel certain manufacturers make games that couldnt possibly be recreated at home (ie the R360 etc) and to mix that with multiplayer gaming, food, music and professional staff, maybe theres a way back, whilst allowing those who dont have access to sufficiently powered pcs access to the joys of multi player gaming. Perhaps some xboxes and psps set up for multiplayer also.

Any thoughts?

There was an article in (I think) Edge magazine recently that talked about this. The only really exciting items at slot machine trade shows nowadays, as far as non-gambling machines goes, are those that provide experiences that can't be recreated in the home. Even bemani games have dancemats available for the home consoles now so that margin of differentiation is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Couple this with the fact that console games can be more engrossing and in-depth and, ultimately, better value. Couple this also with the fact that there are far too many unsavoury types hanging around arcades. It all adds up to the home gaming experience being not just as good as the arcades, in terms of technology and gaming fun, but also the surroundings are far more convivial.

Guest Slim Jim
The problem is that we can easily recreate the arcade experience in the home. My bedroom is dark and smelly, add a light gun and a guy to come and collect the 50p coins and you've got the real deal.

Guest Pirate Burchill
The legend of the Arcade may have already died, but it still lives on in my heart! MK on the Arcade= Hours of killing fun! Woooooo!

I love arcades. I usually never go to one but if I'm ever at the mall waiting for a movie to start or something, I go to the arcade. I wish they wouldnt leave but I say in 10 years they will be gone.

Guest Pirate Burchill
Yes you may be rite, Arcades are so easy to out class these days. Developers should at least give the arcades another chance, BUT i think we should thank them we have got some top class games which we now play on are top rated pc and other game consoles, Like MK, Sonic, and even Mario. So i would personally like to thank Arcades!

Guest MrFill
Arcades used to be useful - you'd see a game several months before it hit the consoles, but they've gotten rarer and rarer, so now it's more like the games just hit the consoles and you never get any of the new games in the consoles first.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

You can't beat some old style Mortal Kombat or Super HangOn (with real motorbike handles no less :P) I will always remember spending a fortune in the Arcades so to me it will never really die,

However I think their time is up now, people don't like leaving their homes to play computer games now we have become lazy :(

New games like Tekken or Soul Calibur are always released on arcades months beore consoles. But like mentioned earlier, the odds of finding one is indeed rare. The PSone pretty much killed the arcade.

I always liked noe armed bandits...But then they got more expensive and it wasn't as cool... Also those silly ones where you put 2p in them and there's little thingies that push the money...

Perhaps some of it has to do with the fact that we've grown up, and where as it used to be fun to be given a pound of 50p to spend in the arcades, nowadays kids would probably spend it on booze...

Guest Pirate Burchill
Ah' date=' i remember the first time i pulled off a dragon punch at Streetfighter 2, or a spinning piledriver......great stuff![/quote']

Even my mum used to play on the classic Mortal Kombat. Until she beat me with that basturd Kano, My own mother ripped my damn heart out and laughed about it. I cant believe she beat me! Anyways shes a legend. Best mum in the world! :worship :worship

P.S. I aint no Shelton!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bluestiger99
There are still a few left over here. THere's a Restaurant called Dave and Busters which is an arcade for adults basically. You have to be 21 or over to be able to walk around by yourself. That prevents all the parents from dropping their kids off as a way to kill time. They ahve some fun games. Derby Owners Club is one of my personal favorites. You have a choice of horses, and breed two, then take your colt and train it to race. You even get a little card when you finish to save your horse and build him up. They also have the linked up racing ones, as well as the shooters.