Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

I just realised I like Cena

The Icon

Actually that title is a bit of a misnomer though as despite the fact I want to like Cena I find very little to like as I think about Cena while typing this. That said I just havn't got the heart to hate him either as he really isn't that bad.

As far as in ring work goes Cena seems average at best and he relies on his opponents to carry him most of the time & seems unable to work a long match. However what seems so isn't always, yes Cena is most often booked like that but actually hes not a bad wrestler and doesn't really need to be carried. If You seen him in OVW you would know this was true.

Then there’s his mic work, he started out with some genuinely entertaining raps but now he just repeats the same clichéd catchphrases every week. * Again though look closer and you see genuine talent, his 3 way on Raw this week for example was outstanding and he's a gifted actor.

(*Mind you so did The Rock and for that matter everybody else & it didn’t hurt him).

Is he championship material, yes actually he proved he can carry a show is he bland & boring, no. Is he sometimes predictable yes but still that's not always a bad thing

Cena may be average in the ring but he’s not that bad & at least he can be entertaining with his limited move set. Add to that his catchphrases repetitive they may be but fans (certain types of anyway) still love them so they must be working.

OK so this thread isn’t exactly the I like Cena thread I intended it to be but still the point is there leave the mab alone as there are far more deserving targets out there for your hatred.

Cena DOES not deserve to be a champion for much longer as there is little more he can do with the belt but he does deserve to be a main eventer he’s earned that much.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I don't 'hate' but I sure don't like him, I just find him so boring now, the mic work is always the same, his superhuman recovery (altho HBK has been doing that for years and I hate him doing it too) the gimmick of 'white boy gangsta rapper' and his seemingly never ending title reign is getting to me too, I don't boo him like the live fans, but I think oh god you again when he comes on screen, he needs to be taken off tv for a month or so and freshen up IMO

That said his in ring is not the worst i've seen and there is some who are much worse then him at this moment, but I think the problem with him is like alot of good wrestlers in OVW they have to be to make an impression but once they make it big (like a World title) they just rest on their name and gimmick and stop trying to improve their in ring skills.

So in summing up altho I don't hate him I don't like to see him either

Guest Dave7g
It's strange that people are being 'born again' to Cena. It won't take long before you are sick and tired of that one trick pony again. He's an awful wrestler, I wish he would just go away.

Its hard not to feel sorry for him, given that he is a nice guy in real life but the faults that turned me against him two years ago still remain.

Guest FreeSpirit
I got to admit after the way Cena conducted himself at WrestleMania and Raw in Chicago, that I got tons more respect for Cena. He took everything that was thrown at him by the hot Chicago crowd, and completely rose above it. Even thanked the fans for coming after Raw, which I thought was touch of class.

Guest rawiswar
To be honest I don't mind Cena at all. Good promos, quite intense, and it's good seeing this guy beat the so called King of Kings to be honest. Interesting feud, will soon be over though..

I got to admit after the way Cena conducted himself at WrestleMania and Raw in Chicago' date=' that I got tons more respect for Cena. He took everything that was thrown at him by the hot Chicago crowd, and completely rose above it. Even thanked the fans for coming after Raw, which I thought was touch of class.[/quote']

Yes but most likely he was instructed to close the show like that, the initiative wouldnt be up to him.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I got to admit after the way Cena conducted himself at WrestleMania and Raw in Chicago' date=' that I got tons more respect for Cena. He took everything that was thrown at him by the hot Chicago crowd, and completely rose above it. Even thanked the fans for coming after Raw, which I thought was touch of class.[/quote']

Yeah but thats his job isn't it? to go out there and be professional, if WWE tell him to go and be the face no matter what the crowed is like then thats what he is gonna do, what does he care what the fans think or do, he makes an absolute fortune per year doing what he did then ignoring the crowd and acting like there is no problems

Guest Slim Jim
For me it's just the in-ring side of Cena that bugs me. His matches just look crap. I can't explain it anymore than that.

Guest TatSamBong
personally i think Cena is rubish. His wrestling style is crap. He only has like 3 moves. He's a white boy who thinks he's black(ie:his rapping) And finally he is in a chain gang (some sort of gay bondage thing he has going on).

Guest MojoPogo
Lets get something straight here. His GIMMICK is rubbish, and completely overdone. Cena himself is actually more talented than he is given credit for, but like the Rock (in later years) and stone cold he is being restricted to using moves that get cheap pops. I hate to sound like a stuck record here, but anyone who seen his initial matches (when he was less bulky also) knows he has more in his locker than what you're seeing, his promos and charisma are top notch, but its time to ditch the rapper thing, let him go heel (in a BIG way) and take the pressure of him. Hate the creative team, not necessarilyu Cena himself. Its too easy to jump on that particular bandwagon.

Guest MrFill

For me it's the Superman Comebacks which annoy the hell out of me.

If he cut those out, then I'd appreciate his work MUCH more - the guy has improved in the ring, he's got great charisma and he's got the right look.

The problem is that he's booked to always overcome the odds, no matter what.

Guest Jonny
Im starting to feel sorry for Cena but still prefer Trips and Edge to Cena but i think if he gets rid of the title id like him.

Guest Citizen Kane

I've actually warmed to Cena a lot more over the past few weeks. You can see he tries hard and cares about what he's doing. Although, I don't mind the mixed reactions he's been getting because it can generate one hell of an atmostphere.

As far as his in ring work goes, I think people are going way over the top. He's far better then people give him credit for. His character isn't going to be a Kurt Angle or a Chris Benoit, he's a street thug. I'd agree that John shouldn't have a submission finisher, but I can't see why people would say that, and demand he have a Dean Malenko move set. And I've heard Cena's OVW work was much better than what he's doing now,and I can't remember him being a bad Wrestler when he came in, in 2002.

Add to that, he's a very charasmatic person and very funny as well. If you see his '5 questions' thing he does, he just goes crazy. Thats the John Cena I want to see. I will admit I'm a little annoyed when he comes out and does 500 gay jokes, he's way above that. If the WWE gave him the freedom to go out there and say whatever he wants to, like when he was heel in 2003, then you've got one of the best talkers in the business.

As I said earlier, the mixed reactions he gets are fantastic from an atmostphere point of view, but some of the abuse he gets is over the top. Like at the Hall of Fame Ceremony, it wasn't about John Cena, it was about Will Perry. It's also an amazement how he deals with abuse like that, but he does, with a smile on his face. Call me stupid, but I fail to see how the supposed hardest worker in the company, who puts his heart and soul into it, gets booed over the supposed most 'selfish man in wrestling', Triple H. Even Randy Orton gets a better reaction then Cena, and by all acounts he's a cocky git (putting it nicely).

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity