Fan Clubs (beta)

Thinking about getting a 360

Guest Ravenmark

Guest Ravenmark

So I've got a few quid spare and I'm looking into getting an Xbox 360.

Has anyone got any advice on good deals, games etc.

Scott

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MrFill

To start with, DO NOT get the Core system - without the hard disk you're missing a LOT. You can add the HD to the Core, but it's not worth the money considering the extras you get with the full 360.

Most stores sell it at the same price, but it's down to the "comes with a game" options.

I'll leave it up to others to recommend the games, but I will say this - 360 games are EXPENSIVE compared to Xbox and PS2 games, so it might be worth renting them from Blockbuster for a few days before you buy them.

Oh, and if you don't have a TV which does HD, then you're missing out on one of the big "upgrades" which makes the 360 worthwhile.

I woudn't reccomend getting an Xbox 360, yet anyway.

It's all too expensive, and you can still have quality entertainment on the PS2 and normal Xbox.

Plus, i think consoles are on the way out to be honest. I haven't seen anything that truly gripped me in ages.

Plus' date=' i think consoles are on the way out to be honest. I haven't seen anything that truly gripped me in ages.[/quote']

No offence Ray, but console gaming makes more money than both the music and film industries. You're words are a very misinformed collection of letters.

Anyhoo, I'd recommend getting a 360. Mine's been in constant use since launch day. Fill's correct, make sure you get the premium pack, it's actually far better value, if you consider HDD's cost £60, a wireless pad is £32 and a headset is £15, you get all these in the premium bundle and they are all necessities.

If you're gonna buy your games in a shop, they are going to set you back £50 (although, some of the launch games like Kameo and KK are £30 now, mind) it's always best to get your games online. If you go to http://www.gameplay.co.uk/ you'll get pre-orders before they're actually released! The average price at gameplay is £40.

As for games? Well, there's now a steady flow, without knowing what you're into, I've enjoyed: Kameo, Ridge Racer, Burnout, The Outfit, Amped 3 and Perfect Dark Zero is a must for online multiplaying, the single players crap, mind.

For some real person reviews go to http://www.wonderwallweb.com/home.htm

If you're planning on getting one from a shop, GAME and Gamestation will have deals on a Premium + FIFA World Cup and Premium + Ghost Recon. I don't think you'll gain much of a price drop by shopping around, maybe in Tesco or Asda you'll be able to pick up a premium without any games, and then choose whatever games you like. If you know a game you fancy, I may be able to give you my opinion, I have 85% of all the games released so far :D

Guest Ravenmark

I was toying with the idea of Splinter Cell Double Agent and maybe King Kong as well.

I'd like to pick up Tomb Raider too, out of curiousity really.

No offence Ray' date=' but console gaming makes more money than both the music and film industries. You're words are a very misinformed collection of letters.[/quote']

I wasn't saying it was worse than the film and music industry. Your brain seems to have interpreted letters written in a fashion that did not appear in the post i made. ;)

Nah, i'm justing saying in my opinion console games are becomign less important and exciting. Other thigns are becoming attractive instead.

Guest Feenix

Nah, i'm justing saying in my opinion console games are becomign less important and exciting. Other thigns are becoming attractive instead.

Such as?

Cause if you're reffering to PC games then that's fine. The only downside being spending ridiculous amounts of money on upgrading every year. I'd rather stick with a 360 which costs me about half the price of getting a top of the line processor.

I wasn't saying it was worse than the film and music industry. Your brain seems to have interpreted letters written in a fashion that did not appear in the post i made. ;)

Hmmm.....I'm sorry, but "Plus, i think consoles are on the way out to be honest." suggested to me, that you're under the impression that people are no longer interested in gaming. Sure, if you're becoming less interested in games that's fine.

I was toying with the idea of Splinter Cell Double Agent and maybe King Kong as well.

I'd like to pick up Tomb Raider too, out of curiousity really.

I'm pretty sure Splinter Cell has been delayed until the end of the year......

By all means pick up King Kong, but don't pay more than £30. It is very short and doesn't really have any replay value. ahsatan loved Tomb Raider and so did many others. I wasn't so keen, but I'm in the minority. If you think you'll enjoy Tomb Raider, get your hands on Kameo too, it's more action than platformer, but it's a 3rd person 'em up', that I enjoyed ALOT.

Hmmm.....I'm sorry' date=' but "Plus, i think consoles are on the way out to be honest." suggested to me, that you're under the impression that people are no longer interested in gaming. Sure, if [b']you're[/b] becoming less interested in games that's fine.

Yeah sorry about that, I thought the "i" told you it was just me, but i think i failed to get that accross clearly. My bad. :xyx

Such as?

Cause if you're reffering to PC games then that's fine. The only downside being spending ridiculous amounts of money on upgrading every year. I'd rather stick with a 360 which costs me about half the price of getting a top of the line processor.

Such as real life stuff i mean. Like working for the publications company advertised in my signature. I'm putting more time into that than spending time on my PS2 nowadays.

Is The Godfather out on 360 yet?

The Godfather: June 30th

Also look out for.....

Dead Rising: Sept 29th

Spliter Cell 4: Sept 29th

Hitman:Blood Money: May 26th

Rockstar Presents: Table Tennis (yes, really) 26th May £24.99!

Rumble Roses XX: 12th May

These are all taken from gameplay.co.uk.

You'd be wise to pick up one of these too http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?

It'll pay for itself in month. Due to not having to keep buying AA batteries.

Guest Bluestiger99
Thanks for the advice fellas.

Just need to persuade the missus that this is a decent investment. :P

Tell her since she's always thinking of you, you decided to get her something you want. Hence, X-Box 360.

Guest Andrew
Dead Rising: Sept 29th

Spliter Cell 4: Sept 29th

That's just nasty, two games I'm looking foward to coming out on the same day! Looks like my Sister won't be getting a Birthday present then :P

As far as getting a 360, you won't regret it. It's certainly resparked my interest in gaming which I have to admit was an all time low before I got mine on December 2nd.

Guest Ravenmark

Just got one!

The Premium pack with Hard Drive and wireless controller and 3 games (Oblivion, Tomb Raider and Kameo) for £349!

Seemed like a decent deal.

I'm off to play - see you in a year.

Guest Anime Otaku
I'm just hoping the current gen machines can use a wireless net connections, does anyone know if the 360 can? I'm actually getting a PS3 and maybe a Wii but I would thing if the 360 can or cannot it'd be a good indication of what the others will do.

Just got one!

The Premium pack with Hard Drive and wireless controller and 3 games (Oblivion, Tomb Raider and Kameo) for £349!

Seemed like a decent deal.

I'm off to play - see you in a year.

Nice work. That certainly is a good deal. Remember to post your Gamertag if you connect to Xbox LIVE.

I'm just hoping the current gen machines can use a wireless net connections' date=' does anyone know if the 360 can? I'm actually getting a PS3 and maybe a Wii but I would thing if the 360 can or cannot it'd be a good indication of what the others will do.[/quote']

If I'm getting you correctly, yes, the 360 has a wireless connection. You DO have to buy a wireless adaptor though. It's very small and just clicks onto the back of the console. I have one. It's glorious. From what I understand, the Wii will be wireless straight out of the box. Not sure about the PS3.

Guest LUKE
the only problem with wireless connection is the cost,mine cost me £60.00 i dont know if you will find a cheaper one,i didn't.

That's just nasty' date=' two games I'm looking foward to coming out on the same day! Looks like my Sister won't be getting a Birthday present then :P[/quote']

It's also bad news for you sister that Smackdown! vs RAW 2007 is also out on the 29th September :lol

the only problem with wireless connection is the cost' date='mine cost me £60.00 i dont know if you will find a cheaper one,i didn't.[/quote']

A small price to pay for no wires lag-less gaming fun. My wireless makes headshooting LUKE so damn smooth :D