Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

WWE issues legal letter to Angle

Guest TNA TNA TNA

Guest TNA TNA TNA
World Wrestling Entertainment recently sent TNA wrestler Kurt Angle a nasty legal letter with a series of demands. All of their demands aren't quite known yet, but here are the demands known thus far.

WWE demanded that Angle and TNA not refer to his ankle lock finisher as the "Angle lock." Angle laughed at that one because he had no idea that anyone called his finisher the "Angle lock" to begin with it, thinking it's always been the ankle lock. WWE also demanded that Angle not call himself "The Wrestling Machine," or "The Machine." Surprisingly, they didn't object to him wearing a mouthpiece, but it can't have "Machine" written on it.

Also, we should find out soon if WWE claimed ownership to the term "Angle slam" and if he'll have to use a new name for the manuever. WWE can probably rightfully claim ownership to that term. Also note, the U.S. Olympic committee probably wouldn't allow TNA to use the term "Olympic slam."

oh god:?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've become really interested in this whole notion of Itellectual Property as i've been studying it in Employment Law at Uni

Basically it's just WWE covering themselves with something that could pay benefit to a competitor

Whether people think it's childish games or not is entirely irrelevant, it's just business. It can be argued that these things aren't particularly important so i'm sure TNA won't be too fussed that they can't use them

Guest Swipemonkey

Has anyone ever left WWE on good terms?

And another thing... "Angle" is the bloke's name ffs. Perhaps Kurt will have to change his surname because it is property of World Wrestling Entertainment™.

Edited by Swipemonkey

Guest The Joker

Kurt Angle is pretty much at a dead end, he has no decent gimmicks now, and I have absolutely no idea what TNA will call his moves, I cant wait till TNA slip up on a show and call him a name owned by WWE, they'll get in trouble for something so pointless! Which is pretty hilarious if you ask me. Im kind of glad things are going bad for Kurt, but on the other hand, Im not, I still think of Kurt as one of the greatest wrestlers and he was favourite of mine, but I can assure you, that I will never turn the channel over just to watch him again, Ive got Two Words for Kurt Angle, SELL OUT!.

Maybe they will tell him he cant be bald anymore because a WWE Superstar (Edge) shaved it off? :lol

It's clutching at straws, none of these "demands" will make the slightest difference, it's still Kurt Angle after all. I doubt TNA were going to use those terms anyway. Angle lock/Ankle lock? A braindead drooling zombie would still know what it was.

Kurt Angle is pretty much at a dead end, he has no decent gimmicks now, and I have absolutely no idea what TNA will call his moves, I cant wait till TNA slip up on a show and call him a name owned by WWE, they'll get in trouble for something so pointless! Which is pretty hilarious if you ask me. Im kind of glad things are going bad for Kurt, but on the other hand, Im not, I still think of Kurt as one of the greatest wrestlers and he was favourite of mine, but I can assure you, that I will never turn the channel over just to watch him again, Ive got Two Words for Kurt Angle, SELL OUT!.

Maybe they will tell him he cant be bald anymore because a WWE Superstar (Edge) shaved it off? :lol

How in the name of Samoa Joe is he a sell out? He was FIRED, when people get fired, they find another job.

Guest FreeSpirit

I think those are all reasonable objections from WWE.

I'm glad WWE didnt get petty about it though and object to him wearing a mouthguard, as that probably would have caused unnecessary legal problems if Angle chipped or cracked a tooth etc.

Guest Slim Jim
You can't possibly sue someone for wearing a mouthguard. The even mere suggestion of it is rediculous. I'm still chuckling at the bit where he didn't even know it was called the Angle Lock by anyone.

What are you talking about Willis?

First of all Angle doesn't need a gimmick,he's one of the best wrestlers in the world that itself is a selling point for him.

Secondly, how is he a sell-out?

Is providing for his family a reason to call him a sell-out?

but I can assure you, that I will never turn the channel over just to watch him again

I'll hold you to that one.

Guest Kanenite

Well I thought his submission finisher was the Angle Lock at first so I can't blame anyone :P

As for the Machine terms that's fair enough I think, if they're trademarked to WWE then he has no right to use them sadly enough.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Well I thought his submission finisher was the Angle Lock at first so I can't blame anyone :P

As for the Machine terms that's fair enough I think, if they're trademarked to WWE then he has no right to use them sadly enough.

Since when did WWE trademark the word 'machine' exactly?

Seems petty to me to be doing this, its not like they could make much money off TNA eve if they did try to sue them for using these terms, how many people who move to WWE come accompanied by letters with demands or restrictions for their former employer's?

Also note, the U.S. Olympic committee probably wouldn't allow TNA to use the term "Olympic slam."

This has got to be BS. I'm sure the Olympic committee would be in tears over this. :roll

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Also note, the U.S. Olympic committee probably wouldn't allow TNA to use the term "Olympic slam."

This has got to be BS. I'm sure the Olympic committee would be in tears over this. :roll

They stopped WWE calling it that :)

Since when did WWE trademark the word 'machine' exactly?

They don't need to trademark it to make it part of their intellectul property

It was used as part of Kurt's "gimmick" in WWE, therefore they own it

Whereas somelike Rhino using "machine" as part of his gimmick doesn't cross back to WWE, or Kurt Angle

It's like if Monty Brown left TNA for WWE, they wouldn't be able to use "The Alpha Male" unless TNA forgot to include the clause in the contract

However, i'm pretty sure pro wrestling contracts are fairly similar nowadays

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity