Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Cryme Time

Guest The Shockmaster

Guest The Shockmaster

Is no one offended by Cryme Time? I understand that WWE have a tendany to focus on various stereotypes, but surely having two black dudes from the 'hood' wearing bling and talking street whilst (i) mugging passers by (ii) beating people up (iii) and robbing stores is somewhat of a racial slur and only serves to set back racial relations, not to mention glorify and promote immoral acts.

Or am I over-reacting. I'm was very uncomfortable with those skits and the wwe's latest tag team as soon as I saw them.

My apologies if this has been covered before, but I felt I needed to voice my views on this particular issue.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brooklyn Kid
like when T.long and rodney Mack use to do that "WHITE BOY CHALLENGE" Thing on raw a couple of years ago but they ended that with Goldberg. Speaking of goldberg where is he any way?

Guest The Joker
Cryme Time are hilarious! They are my new favourite tag team. I dont find there gimmick racial at all, and If you do, your pretty stupid if you ask me! These guys are great, I can see them being tag team champs!

They are a complete parody of the stereotype, and this is highlighted more by the guy who did the voiceover for the skits.

The skits were obviously meant for comedy, and it came across perfectly.

They are a complete parody of the stereotype, and this is highlighted more by the guy who did the voiceover for the skits.

The skits were obviously meant for comedy, and it came across perfectly.

Exactly....Complete parody....Shame most Sky viewers could see it like that...

and reacted a bit like this.......

Is no one offended by Cryme Time? I understand that WWE have a tendany to focus on various stereotypes, but surely having two black dudes from the 'hood' wearing bling and talking street whilst (i) mugging passers by (ii) beating people up (iii) and robbing stores is somewhat of a racial slur and only serves to set back racial relations, not to mention glorify and promote immoral acts.

:D

Guest the HiTman
Cryme Time are hilarious! They are my new favourite tag team. I dont find there gimmick racial at all, and If you do, your pretty stupid if you ask me! These guys are great, I can see them being tag team champs!

It's got nothing to do with them being great or that they might be future tag team champs.

It's easy to see how this gimmick could offend some viewers. It doesn't bother me or obviously you but you have no right to call others stupid.

Guest MojoPogo
It's got nothing to do with them being great or that they might be future tag team champs.

It's easy to see how this gimmick could offend some viewers. It doesn't bother me or obviously you but you have no right to call others stupid.

Ah, he just got over excited. Thats all. Too many latees at Central Perk. I think they've been pretty good thus far. Im more interested in seeing how they work in the ring of course, but its nice to have an actual TAG TEAM appear again. Any more of this and i'll maybe start to think WWE are taking a small interest in the tag team division again.....

So far, so good for Cryme Time

I loved all of their hype skits and just hoped they would live up to it, which they did to an extent. But it's early days yet

WWE need to go the same direction they did with the Highlanders which got them over; except this time, actually put the tag straps on them

I can see an amusing feud emerging between them and the Spirit Squad that involves the stealing of various apparel

Guest HH-Evolution

harder edge a bit like The Gangstas

I think that's only worth persuing when the group are used as Heels - right now, they're the comedy Face double act, so that Harder edge just wouldn't properly fit for the moment.

Guest Sparrow

The thing that helps them stop being a sertrotype and that is the voice over guy. you do see many 70's-80's voice over guys following 'gangstas' around.

I personally like them and there not bad in the ring, hope they win the titles soon.

Guest Clarkey
I wonder if these people complaining about Cryme Tyme being offensive, etc (insert the term you wish there), were in uproar about Rockstar's parodie's of the stereotypes discussed in GTA San Andreas (Just one example of where similar methods have been used). If not (and I will quickly assume many weren't general), then suddenly hypocrisy rears its ugly head. To be honest though, while I can see, like The Hitman said, where people maybe offended, this offence taken needs to be applied also to all areas utilising these parodies, not just where it suits like now in the case of a wrestling tag team. It just seems to rear its head when it suits the complainee's.

Guest The Joker

Ive got rights, to do many things apart from what the law says I cant do. But you have to agree with me, there are so many people out there who over react and it is stupid!

Yes I agree in a way that some people actually think WWE is trying to be racist...See sounds stupid doesnt it?

Because, why would a top sports entertainment company TRY to be racist!?

WWE arent being racist at all, did anyone ever hear Vince say, WWE is about Society today, all they do is express it, on an entertaining level.

And Cryme Time do represent a part of society, which is good in my view. WWE needed a gimmick like this, plus a new, exciting and fan favourite Tag Team. :xyx

Edited by The Joker

It's not really racist? It's a little bit though, but then WWE are quite obvious with their racial stereotypes to the extent of them being so incredibly dumb, they cannot be offensive. Finlay is Irish so therefore he carries a shelleghleigh and has a Leprechaun, he really doesn't need that, he could get over as a fine wrestler anyway. Italians in WWE are always in the mafia. Samoans are always uncivilised savages that cannot speak. Africans are usually tribesmen with spears or Voodoo doctors. Austrailians are crocodile hunters. It's always been the way, maybe they need to move away from the dumb gimmicks and give their audience some credit.

It's not intentionally racist, it's just WWE and wrestling a whole.

Guest Slim Jim

Spot on Dave. WWE gimmicks are so over the top, you can't really take them seriously.

When they are trying to be racist, it's only to try and get media attention to make people tune in - although it never works. Recent examples (not racist as such but with the same aim) would be exploiting Eddie's death and the whole God angle.

Oh and yeah Cryme Time rock.

Guest Gooneronastick

Cryme Tyme are possibly the best new thing in WWE right now. And those "offensive" skits got them over with the crowd. I loved it and I'm sure most of the regular wrestling-watching fratenity loved it too. Only the do-gooding, politically correct meddlers could find Cryme Tyme's gimmick offensive because it's so over the top.

And they're not too shabby in the ring too. Just a shame the tag division is almost non-existant.

Samoans are always uncivilised savages that cannot speak.
I think The Rock would have something to say about that, as would Rosey. Jamal would say something, but no he is a Samoan savage, so I'll give you that one. LOL, I just amused myself with an image of Randy Savage as a wild Samoan, a legit Samoan Savage.

As for Cryme Tyme, they aren't exactly racist, more an exaggerated stereotype. The Nation, LAX, The Gangsta, now they are racist gimmicks.

Cryme Tyme are freakin' awesome, i fully expect them to win the Tag Titles from the Spirit Squad at the next Show or PPV.

I remember somebody complaining about hot-shotting people into the titles straight after their debut.

There are teams who have been hard-working (and squashed by DX) who are much more "deserving" that Cryme Tyme so far.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity