Fan Clubs (beta)

The Golden Joystick Awards

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

It's that time of year again, and this time around Computer and Videogames.com are hosting a live stream of the event from 2:30 this afternoon, and the awards website are hosting a stream too.

Here's the nominee's for this year:

Favourite Character Award

- Mario (Mario Bros.)

- Agent 47 (Hitman: Blood Money)

- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

- Alyx Vance (Half-Life: Episode 1)

- Prince of Persia (Prince of Persia The Two Thrones)

Girls Choice Award

- Nintendogs

- Animal Crossing: Wild World

- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Special Edition

- 50 Cent: Bulletproof

- Evil Dead Regeneration

- Super Princess Peach

- Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend

- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

- Mario Kart DS

Handheld Game of the Year

- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

- Mario Kart DS

- New Super Mario Bros.

- Metroid Prime: Hunters

- Nintendogs

- Advance Wars: Dual Strike

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

- Resident Evil: Deadly Silence

- LocoRoco

Innovation Award in association with T3 magazine

- Xbox Live Marketplace

- Nintendo Wi-Fi Connect

- Nintendo DS Lite

- Guitar Hero

- Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day

- Nintendogs

- The Movies

- We Love Katamari

- Buzz!: The BIG Quiz

The Sun’s Family Game Award in association with The Sun and The Sun Online

- Nintendogs

- Kameo: Elements of Power

- Shadow the Hedgehog

- Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

- Super Princess Peach

- Kirby: Power Paintbrush

- Super Monkey Ball Touch and Roll

- Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

- SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, PANTS!

Nuts All-Nighter Award in association with Nuts magazine

- Mario Kart DS

- Pro Evolution Soccer 5

- Call of Duty 2

- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

- Project Gotham Racing 3

- Buzz!: The BIG Quiz

- Far Cry Instincts Predator

Nintendo Game of the Year

- Mario Kart DS

- New Super Mario Bros.

- Nintendogs

- Gun

- Advance Wars: Dual Strike

- Chibi-Robo!

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game

- Resident Evil: Deadly Silence

- 2006 FIFA World Cup

- Call of Duty 2: Big Red One

- Fire Emblem: Path of RAdiance

One to Watch 2007

- Nintendo Wii

- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

- Halo 3

- Grand Theft Auto IV

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

- PlayStation 3

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl

- Resident Evil 5

- Gears of War

- Spore

- Final Fantasy XII

- Crysis

- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars

- World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade

- Super Mario Galaxy

Online Game of the Year

- Mario Kart DS

- Call of Duty 2

- Age of Empires III

- Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis

- Final Fantasy XI Treasures of Aht Urhgan

- Perfect Dark Zero

- Quake IV

PC Game of the Year in association with ebuyer.com

- Half-Life 2: Episode One

- F.E.A.R.

- Call of Duty 2

- Age of Empires III

- Football Manager 2006

- Civilization IV

- Fable: The Lost Chapters

- The Movies

- Black & White 2

- Guild Wars Factions

- Battlefield 2: Special Forces

- The Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II

- Hitman: Blood Money

- The Sims 2 Nightlife

Playstation Game of the Year

- Shadow of the Colossus

- Resident Evil 4

- Guitar Hero

- Pro Evolution Soccer 5

- Black

- Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King

- Burnout: Revenge

- WWE Smackdown! Vs. RAW 2006

- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

Publisher of the Year in association with Sonopress

- Nintendo

- Rockstar

- EA Games

- Ubisoft

- Microsoft Game Studios

- Capcom

- Konami

- Square Enix

- Activision

- Sony Computer Entertainment

- Sega

- Eidos

- Vivendi Games

- THQ

- Atari

- NCSoft

- Take Two

Retailer of the Year in association with Vivendi Games

- GAME

- Play.com

- Gameplay.com

- Gamestation

- Amazon.co.uk

- HMV

- Gameseek

- Virgin

Soundtrack of the Year

- Guitar Hero

- Need For Speed Most Wanted

- Shadow of the Colossus

- Sonic Rush

- Call of Duty 2

- Phoenix Wright

Xbox Game of the Year

- Half-Life 2

- Call of Duty 2

- Black

- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

- Pro Evolution Soccer 5

- Burnout: Revenge

- Perfect Dark Zero

- Dead or Alive 4

- The King of Fighters Neowave

- Psychonauts

Ultimate Game of 2006

- Resident Evil 4

- Mario Kart DS

- Half-Life 2

- Shadow of the Colossus

- New Super Mario Bros.

- Call of Duty 2

- Pro Evolution Soccer 5

- Guitar Hero

- Half-Life 2: Episode One

- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat

Guest Clarkey

That is so unbelivably ace.

------

I'll update this as I go, as I'm being a sad git and watching. Justin Lee Collin's is presenting and its been rather good thus far. Being warned already that if I'm easily offended I should head for the blog. He just made a gag about The Big Show which is always a plus. I think its the National Lottery guy doing the voice over, and the stage looks nice and cheap.

Oh one for Colin and Russ, a Whoopi Goldberg gag. Calling the Microsoft lad Johnny Vegas was worth a chuckle too.

Just feel so much nostalgia for Gamesmaster, what I would give for my own Golden Joystick.

Alot of cheers for Smackdown vs Raw 2006.

LocoRoco not even getting on the podium, its a travesty.

The cheap imitation of Blink whatever they are called playing on everyones intro is very irritating.

EA winning publisher of the year from a public vote then, flooding the market with a shedload of your wares gets you onto a winner I guess. And was Ghost Recon really good enough to win the editors praise when there were so many more unique titles that warranted praise (as good as GR is)?

So a white wash for Elder Scrolls, can't say I expected that.

Winners

Innovation Award: Third: Brain Training, Second: Wifi, and Winner: XBox Live Marketplace

The Sun's Family Game of The Year: Third: Ice Age 2 , Second: Kameo, Winner: Nintendogs

PC Game of the Year: Third: Half Life 2, Second: The Sims 2: Nightlife, Winner: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Soundtrack of the Year: Third: GTA: Liberty City Stories , Second: Elder Scrolls, Winner: Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Hero of the Year: Third: Agent 47, Second: Mario, Winner: Lara Croft

XBox Game of the Year: Third: Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter, Second: Half-Life 2, Winner: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Nuts All Nighter Award: Third: Call Of Duty 2, Second: Mario Kart DS, Winner: PES 5

Girls Choice Award: Third: Animal Crossing: Wild World, Second: Tomb Raider Legend, Winner: Nintendogs

Playstation Game of the Year: Third: PES 5, Second: GTA San Andreas Special Edition, Winner: Resident Evil 4

Online Game of the Year: Third: Call of Duty 2, Second: Mario Kart DS, Winner: Age of Empires 3

Handheld Game of the Year: Third: Mario Kart DS, Second: New Super Mario Bros, Winner: GTA Liberty City Stories

Nintendo Game of the Year: Third: Nintendogs, Second: Mario Kart DS, Winner: New Super Mario Bros

Retailer of the Year: Third: Amazon.co.uk, Second: Play.com, Winner: Game

The One To Watch: Third: Halo 3, Second: Nintendo Wii, Winner: Playstation 3

Publisher of the Year: Third: Ubisoft, Second: Nintendo, Winner: EA

Editors Choice Award: Winner: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

Ultimate Game of the Year: Third: Mario Kart DS, Second: Resident Evil 4, Winner: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

Edited by Clarkey

Guest Daredevil

Here's my thoughts on the winners.

Winners

Innovation Award: Third: Brain Training, Second: Wifi, and Winner: XBox Live Marketplace

I would go for the Brain Training game but XBox Live wins this and I'm not surprised. XBox live is very popular these days. In my opinion I hate online gaming because its killing the muilplayer business which you play with your friends but with online gaming you can't you playing against somebody you never heard of and many online is just like single player in my opinion except you need to pay for it.

The Sun's Family Game of The Year: Third: Ice Age 2 , Second: Kameo, Winner: Nintendogs

I'm not really into kids games but they pick the right winner in my view. Some of my friends play this like crazy and I had a go at it. Its good and I'm glad it won that award.:thumbsup

PC Game of the Year: Third: Half Life 2, Second: The Sims 2: Nightlife, Winner: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Again they pick the right winner. I have Oblivion on the XBox 360 not on the PC. Its one of my favourites of 2006 the graphics on that is awesome. They deserve that award.

Soundtrack of the Year: Third: GTA: Liberty City Stories , Second: Elder Scrolls, Winner: Need for Speed: Most Wanted

I don't really care about the nominees for this award so I don't care who won it.

Hero of the Year: Third: Agent 47, Second: Mario, Winner: Lara Croft

Agreeing with this one. This years Tomb Raider is one of the best comebacks I never seen in the video game industry thanks to the creator(Can't remember his name but he looks like Dominic Diamond) firing Core. Tomb Raider:Legends is excellent and they rightly deserve this award.:xyx

XBox Game of the Year: Third: Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter, Second: Half-Life 2, Winner: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I agree again with this but I wanted Half-Life 2 to win. Thats okay because Oblivion is a hell of a game that deserves its praises.

Nuts All Nighter Award: Third: Call Of Duty 2, Second: Mario Kart DS, Winner: PES 5

I don't agree because I hate Football games and the sport itself. Then again PES 5 isn't that bad its not the best but its not the worst neither.

Girls Choice Award: Third: Animal Crossing: Wild World, Second: Tomb Raider Legend, Winner: Nintendogs

I knew this game was going to win this award. My girlfriend loves this game like my buddys. I getting into that game and possiblly get the DS because their is some great games on DS that I just want to play

Playstation Game of the Year: Third: PES 5, Second: GTA San Andreas Special Edition, Winner: Resident Evil 4

Great choices and the right winner. So far the best Resident Evil game ever well done.:xyx

Online Game of the Year: Third: Call of Duty 2, Second: Mario Kart DS, Winner: Age of Empires 3

Ahh my mum loves this game. She into these statuary games like Age of Empire and Setters. Just really about everyone she will play it like crap.

Handheld Game of the Year: Third: Mario Kart DS, Second: New Super Mario Bros, Winner: GTA Liberty City Stories

I agree with this one. I got this for my PSP its one of my two games I have for the PSP. Right winner for this award.

Nintendo Game of the Year: Third: Nintendogs, Second: Mario Kart DS, Winner: New Super Mario Bros

I don't really know so I'll pass this.

Rightly so. Game is brilliant for games but why isn't Gamestation on the top three that's a awesome video game retailer.

The One To Watch: Third: Halo 3, Second: Nintendo Wii, Winner: Playstation 3

In my opinion wrong wrong wrong. That should have been Halo 3 to win. The PS3 is going in bad directions so thats why I think they pick the wrong winner.:tdown

Publisher of the Year: Third: Ubisoft, Second: Nintendo, Winner: EA

No surprise EA win this. They are not the best publishers in the world I would have pick Ubisoft to win this.

Editors Choice Award: Winner: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

I don't blame the editors picking this. It looks good this game and properly get this in the January.

Ultimate Game of the Year: Third: Mario Kart DS, Second: Resident Evil 4, Winner: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

Man they ruled this years awards. No wonder its awesome people its totally recommend. Good for them:xyx .

I like these years winners a wee bit of games and so on don't deserve the award in my view but there's a lot of games that deserve their praises like Oblivion who dominated this years award.

Guest Jaycey Baby

I suppose this is a good thing for games, but -

Girls Choice Award? How patronising;

Awards from Nuts and The Sun - these rags have tiny and not very well written games sections, who cares what they think? What about Edge, Gamesmaster (is that still going)?;

One To Watch? Should we be dishing out free hype at an awards ceremony?;

And 50 Cent : Bulletproof and Harry Potter? Is this going to help games develop as an art, nominating this tripe?

This is a crock. Along with Gamestation, GAME are by far the biggest con merchants in the gaming world.

Their excuse? "We're solely a video games retailer, thus all our profits have to come from video game sales. We can't afford to make minimal profit on games, like Tesco and ASDA." What a joke!

I've actually read on other forums that people think shops like Tesco and ASDA are killing the games industry by undercutting GAME and Gamestation. Well, call me a killer, I'm going for the cheapest option.

Now that PC World and HMV have dropped a tenner of the retail price of 360 games, maybe GAME will have to do the same.

I went into GAME last weekend, the Gamecube section is non existent. They DO NOT stock Gamecube games! ALL 360 games are a tenner more expensive than 80% of other shops. 90% of the Eastbourne branch is full to the brim of PS2 games. Sure, if you want a PS2 game, that's great. If you don't, then GAME have got two words for you; "Tough s**t!"

I'm a Gameplay.co.uk man myself. Not once have I not been able to find the game I went on there looking for, and not once have ever had to wait longer than I should for delivery of games.

I never buy games in Game, whats the point? If they arent more expensive, then they are the same price as Gamestop or XtraGame.

Also where are the good games listed there in those awards, not the jumping through hoops-big developers. Aside from Elder Scrolls its the same old sh*t.

Edited by Rog

Guest Clarkey
The awards were all voted for other than the editors choice, so while I agree that most of the winners are a nonsense, they were voted for by the public, including the nominations. Edited by Clarkey

Guest Daredevil
EA publisher of the year. What a bloody joke!

I do agree with you there Rog. I wished Ubisoft win that award they been brilliant with all their games like Splitter Cell and so on.