Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

More Bad News For ECW

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Major changes for ECW possibly

The Wrestling-Observer Newsletter reports that big changes could be in store for the ECW brand.

Kevin Dunn is the chief proponent of an internal belief that ECW’s declining ratings are due to fans not realizing ECW is a WWE brand.

A change heavily expected is the dropping of the terms “Extremists” and “Vixens” in favor of Superstars and Divas.

There has also been talk of replacing the on-screen ECW logo with WWE’s scratch logo and significantly scaling back “Extreme Rules” matches.

Although Vince McMahon’s position on all the proposed changes is unclear, it is known that the recent Test vs. RVD match turned him off to the idea of “Extreme Rules.” He also supports the general notion that ECW needs to be pushed as a third brand instead of a separate company.

So ECW will become even more like WWE is this good or bad in your view?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNA TNA TNA
I think it would have been better to have an ECW faction in the WWE like nWo in WCW. Whats the point o bringin ECW back if its just going to be another version of WWE

Guest Daredevil
Kevin Dunn has to be one of the dumbest person on the face of this earth. If you want ratings give the people want they want and you'll get your ratings. They want Heymen to run the show not Vince or Kevin because they know nothing about ECW.

Guest SamoanBulldozer
I think it would have been better to have an ECW faction in the WWE like nWo in WCW. Whats the point o bringin ECW back if its just going to be another version of WWE

i totally agree with what you say.i was lookin forward to seeing a mix of old ecw and the new wwe but i was just kidding myself vince would never let ecw become bigger than raw or smackdown.So much for bringing ecw back for the fans hey.

Guest Adam Gill

ECW was always going to be just another brand anyway and anybody who thought different must be darn stupid.

I thought I'd mention that because I watched One Night Stand 2006 earlier today and I remember seeing a big "ECW Lives!" banner.

And they say the fans in the Hammerstein Ballroom are the smartest in wrestling . . .

Kevin Dunn is the chief proponent of an internal belief that ECW’s declining ratings are due to fans not realizing ECW is a WWE brand.

Is that the kind of person WWE have working for them?

How could even the markiest of 9-year olds not realise that ECW is just another WWE show?

I mean they advertise on Raw and Smackdown!, wrestlers from Raw and SD! often wrestle on the show, the ECW champion is facing the Raw and Smackdown! champions at Cyber Sunday.

Come on Kevin . . .

Guest Danny Styles

wow so one of the best matches on WWE TV for a long time in Test vs RVD isn't good enough for Vince

he's obviously got a huge ego (bigger then i thought) if he thinks people aren't watching ECW due to it now being WWE, it's obvious it's WWE, it's hyped on Raw and Smackdown, you have to be a complete inbred to not get that

Guest poland74
I'd take some of that with a pinch of salt so to speak, the original reporting of this which I read last week said Vince doesn't really like hardcore wrestling. How can this be? Every match Vince participates in either starts with hardcore rules or descends into a violent match. There have also been hugely hyped matches using hardcore/extreme type rules in WWE a lot over the years.

Im sorry, I know this is supposedly from WO....but I dont believe this for a second.....

There are just too many untruths reported as fact for this to be true...

Both Kevin Dunn and Vince, are far too clued on to make these assumptions

Guest Anime Otaku
Kevin Dunn has to be one of the dumbest person on the face of this earth. If you want ratings give the people want they want and you'll get your ratings. They want Heymen to run the show not Vince or Kevin because they know nothing about ECW.

Totally agreed, if Dunn amd Vince Think ECW is failing because it's not seen as WWE they are of the highest order of morons.

Idiotic stuff if true.

Anyone who doesn't know ECW is run by WWE now is a tool.

Swapping "extremists" and "vixens" for "superstars" and "divas" won't do anything to change matters. Nothing at all. Nadda. Zilch. Oh look, they're called superstars now so everyone will watch them. My ass!

Cutting back on extreme rules matches would be the final nail in the coffin. Having DQ in most matches is a bad enough insult to the old ECW, but cancelling them across the board brings it to a new level. If they do this, they should just change the name of the brand entirely because besides a few washed-up ECW originals, this show will become nothing like the old ECW.

Guest Adam Gill
In my opinion, the trouble with the new ECW is that the WWE use it as an extension of Raw or Smackdown and not as a brand

How exactly?

Guest FreeSpirit

I think WWE should fully use the name ECW under the WWE umbrella.

At the end of the day WWE is more commonly known worldwide than what ECW is, so if by using the WWE name it generates new viewers to the show then it cant be all bad. Just simply renaming it WWE: ECW On Sci Fi or WWE: ECW wouldnt cause any harm I feel.

Sure some hardcore wrestling fans would do a hell of a lot of bit*hing about the name change, but they'll eventually get over it. If its the best way to carry the show forward I'm all for it. :xyx

I agree with alot of what has been said, but basically, ECW needs to be ECW. On an episode awhile back, Styles mentioned that Sabu was an ECW Champion back in the "glory days" of ECW. I took this to mean that Styles misses the old ECW.

If you watch some PPV's and TV Shows from around the time ECW was relaunched (in and around June), there's heavy mention of ECW having 'no rules' and things like that (Lawler mentioned it from time to time on the Vengeance PPV).

I personally believe in the idea of Heyman running the show. You look at some of the greatest moments in ECW history, they all (or mostly) involved 'hardcore' elements (blood, tables, chairs, etc.). WWE needs to go the opposite way w/ ECW and make it the 'unique' third brand. Don't make hardcore matches a special occassion, make every match 'Extreme Rules' by default. If you get the original ECW fans to go to every show, they'll let you know that WWE's version of ECW is 'bullshit' & 'boring'.

Alot of your 'average' WWE fans are more/less idiots. WWE pin point them too. Look at some interviews w/ fans outside shows before, during, or after. Some are very wise about WWE, some are very, very stupid. The same fans that are okay w/ ECW being watered down and all around shitty are the same people that scream when Cena takes his shirt off. Unless something is done, I don't think the ECW brand will be around much longer.

Edited by TPIB

Guest Adam Gill
I agree with alot of what has been said, but basically, ECW needs to be ECW. On an episode awhile back, Styles mentioned that Sabu was an ECW Champion back in the "glory days" of ECW. I took this to mean that Styles misses the old ECW.

If you watch some PPV's and TV Shows from around the time ECW was relaunched (in and around June), there's heavy mention of ECW having 'no rules' and things like that (Lawler mentioned it from time to time on the Vengeance PPV).

I personally believe in the idea of Heyman running the show. You look at some of the greatest moments in ECW history, they all (or mostly) involved 'hardcore' elements (blood, tables, chairs, etc.). WWE needs to go the opposite way w/ ECW and make it the 'unique' third brand. Don't make hardcore matches a special occassion, make every match 'Extreme Rules' by default. If you get the original ECW fans to go to every show, they'll let you know that WWE's version of ECW is 'bullshit' & 'boring'.

Alot of your 'average' WWE fans are more/less idiots. WWE pin point them too. Look at some interviews w/ fans outside shows before, during, or after. Some are very wise about WWE, some are very, very stupid. The same fans that are okay w/ ECW being watered down and all around shitty are the same people that scream when Cena takes his shirt off. Unless something is done, I don't think the ECW brand will be around much longer.

But ECW is getting decent ratings, TPIB. The ratings are apparnetly a bit higher than WWE and Sci:Fi we're expecting. Don't forget it is still a new brand.

Whilst all the talk you made about ECW being truly extreme is all well and good and I agree with you to an extent but while WWE want ECW the band to succeed they don't want it's matches, mainly the extreme matches over-shadowing what happens on Smackdown! and especially Raw which is their "bread and butter".

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity