Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Puder again challengers Angle

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
In an interview with Bubba The Love Sponge, former WWE Superstar Daniel Puder once again called out Kurt Angle.

Puder, currently a fighter for the Strikeforce promotion, reiterated the challenge that he would wager his entire purse that he could beat Kurt Angle in an MMA fight. He furthered his claim by saying if no deal could be worked out with an actual MMA promotion, he would fight Angle in his backyard and bow down to the gold medalist if he lost.

Bubba, who is friends with Angle, got on the offensive against Puder, claiming the only offense he displayed in his match with Angle was an illegal armbar. He also criticized Puder, who he called a “chump” and a “poor man’s Tito Ortiz,” for using Angle’s name to get a rub. Bubba argued that Angle would knock Puder out in the first round if the two ever fought.

Angle is scheduled to guest on the show later this week.

Recap notes used in article courtesy John Brzys (PWTorch.com).

Now I would love to see them go at it in a backyard :lol

Whats all this about an illegal armbar too, there was nothing illegal about it at all

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kanenite
From what I remember Puder locked one onto Angle when they had a match on Smackdown once when in the Tough Enough tournament, they had the referee's break it up and turn it into a lame finish, although I could be wrong. I'd love to see them go at it though, with Angle claiming to knockout Puder in the first round it could be interesting to see the result.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Kurt couldn't break the armbar and they did a quick count finish when they saw he was struggling, the point is it was not an illegal move

As I said I would love to see this happen :)

Is a kimura legal in amateur wrestling rules? Either way Angle didn't tap out which is freaky resilience consider it's pretty-much a guaranteed tap out move in MMA.

Is a kimura legal in amateur wrestling rules?

I'm pretty sure it is illegal, and you definetly can't win by submission, which gives Angle an excuse. He was expecting a wrestling match, and got locked into a submission. I knew someone a while ago, who was a pretty good wrestler, and he mentioned the rules several times that moves which include moves meant to hurt your opponent aren't allowed. If you have a look around, I'm sure you'll find something which backs this up.

Is a kimura legal in amateur wrestling rules? Either way Angle didn't tap out which is freaky resilience consider it's pretty-much a guaranteed tap out move in MMA.
But in that shoot, no-one said it was meant to be amatuer rules. If it was amatuer rules, then the three count used to beat Puder was not in the rules either, as it is a one count that is used in amatuer wrestling. Angle got beat on the night, and he can't admit it. The only reason he never submitted was because he is too stubborn to do so. His ego won't allow it. But in an MMA setting, he'd have no choice, cos I do believe Puder would push him to breaking point, maybe further.

Guest Jimmy Redman
The only reason he never submitted was because he is too stubborn to do so. His ego won't allow it.

Or maybe because he was live on Smackdown, and was trying to be professional and not break kayfabe before the referee stepped in.

Or maybe because he was live on Smackdown, and was trying to be professional and not break kayfabe before the referee stepped in.
It was a shoot, so professionalism goes out the window. Just ask the Tough Enough guy who Angle "bullied" before Puder came in to fight him.

The kayfabe argument is laughable as it was a shoot match. There is no kayfabe in a shoot. Puder had no character to stay kayfabe with. All he was told was you may have to shootfight with Kurt Angle, which he did. Puder, as much of an arse as he is, did nothing wrong.

Smackdown! is a taped show, so they could easily have edited it to show whatever they wanted too. The simple fact is, Angle thought that these "kids" would be a walkover, and one of them managed to get the upper-hand on him.

The simple facts here are this. Angle, fit or not, was a beaten man. He couldn't escape the hold and was in danger of having some serious damage done to his arm. The referee was sent a message via his earpiece to do a count (Puder's shoulders weren't really down) and get Angle out of the ring.

Kurt was embarrassed by what happened, but on that night, he was owned by a "lesser" man.

Guest Jimmy Redman
It was a shoot, so professionalism goes out the window. Just ask the Tough Enough guy who Angle "bullied" before Puder came in to fight him.

The kayfabe argument is laughable as it was a shoot match. There is no kayfabe in a shoot. Puder had no character to stay kayfabe with. All he was told was you may have to shootfight with Kurt Angle, which he did. Puder, as much of an arse as he is, did nothing wrong.

Smackdown! is a taped show, so they could easily have edited it to show whatever they wanted too. The simple fact is, Angle thought that these "kids" would be a walkover, and one of them managed to get the upper-hand on him.

The simple facts here are this. Angle, fit or not, was a beaten man. He couldn't escape the hold and was in danger of having some serious damage done to his arm. The referee was sent a message via his earpiece to do a count (Puder's shoulders weren't really down) and get Angle out of the ring.

Kurt was embarrassed by what happened, but on that night, he was owned by a "lesser" man.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Angle did get owned by Puder when it happened. But shoot fight or not, it was a wrestling show, and forgive me, but Kurt Angle was NOT supposed to tap out to a Tough Enough wannabe. The segment was booked as "Angle killing the wannabes training all day, and then Angle fights (beats) the winner of the thing in the ring." It was stupidity on Angle's of whoever else's part to go with a legit fight when a guy with an MMA background was there. But I think Angle did extremely well to not tap out and look like even more of a doofus, he just held on, the ref got Puder off him, and the segment could be shown on TV as it was, because Angle wasnt made to look bad (excepting us smarks obviously).

I'm not disagreeing with you, Angle did get owned by Puder when it happened. But shoot fight or not, it was a wrestling show, and forgive me, but Kurt Angle was NOT supposed to tap out to a Tough Enough wannabe. The segment was booked as "Angle killing the wannabes training all day, and then Angle fights (beats) the winner of the thing in the ring." It was stupidity on Angle's of whoever else's part to go with a legit fight when a guy with an MMA background was there. But I think Angle did extremely well to not tap out and look like even more of a doofus, he just held on, the ref got Puder off him, and the segment could be shown on TV as it was, because Angle wasnt made to look bad (excepting us smarks obviously).
But Angle was then unprofessional, because he did beat the "winner" (Puder obviously won the event, but was kicked off for some reason). Angle's ego then demanded him to challenge the others, and he got his ass handed to him. That wasn't how the segment was booked at all.

Guest Jimmy Redman
But Angle was then unprofessional, because he did beat the "winner" (Puder obviously won the event, but was kicked off for some reason). Angle's ego then demanded him to challenge the others, and he got his ass handed to him. That wasn't how the segment was booked at all.

Ah, I forgot about that. Granted, if that was Angle ad-libbing just to be a jerk, then yeah, that was stupid as well. Puder probably didnt "win" in the first place because they knew he could fight. All I was saying is that Angle did well to not tap out on screen.

To be fair though Angle did extremely well not to tap and almost force Puder onto his back.
He did well to stay in it, but how long could he honestly have lasted had the ref not "screwed" Puder? I'm pretty sure Puder had leverage to add even more pressure if the need arose.

Guest Steve O
saying that considering the shape Angle was in at that stage it wasnt suprising apparantly he was around 208lbs then with 12 inch arms whilst Puder was extremely fit and healthy as he is now also but I feel Kurt looks a lot more healthy now he looks happy too which he didnt in the last couple of years of WWE

But in that shoot, no-one said it was meant to be amatuer rules. If it was amatuer rules, then the three count used to beat Puder was not in the rules either, as it is a one count that is used in amatuer wrestling. Angle got beat on the night, and he can't admit it. The only reason he never submitted was because he is too stubborn to do so. His ego won't allow it. But in an MMA setting, he'd have no choice, cos I do believe Puder would push him to breaking point, maybe further.

The rules of amatuer wrestling state you only have to pin your opponent, which Angle did do. Like you said, there is no count or anything, but I can definetly see why there would be one as it was in a pro-wrestling ring. If it was a wrestling/shoot match hybrid, Angle still wins. I can't see the reasoning behind it being MMA rules, so, for me, Angle won fairly.

Considering it was a in a wrestling competition, in a wrestling ring, I'm guessing it was wrestling rules. There was no reason for it to be MMA rules at all, which means Angle did pin him legally.

Fact is the rules were not stated at any point, but as it was challanged on a pro wrestling show and the impression was given that it was a pro match (despite obviously not being) then under the rules a submission was allowed.

But its a pointless argument anyway, no rules were stated so meh.

Ah, I forgot about that. Granted, if that was Angle ad-libbing just to be a jerk, then yeah, that was stupid as well. Puder probably didnt "win" in the first place because they knew he could fight. All I was saying is that Angle did well to not tap out on screen.

Angle wouldn't have tapped out even if it was in a dark room with no spectators with the knowledge that the only other guy in the room would die before he left the room and therefore nobody could have possibly known unless Angle told them. There is a reason why Angle is in TNA right now, and it isn't to do with the money or how good a product TNA is.

On topic, I hope the fight does happen. I'd love to see Angle get sparked out.

If you're in a kimura all the stubborness in the world won't prevent you from tapping out. And Angle didn't get beaten. He never tapped out and was never pinned. I think Puder is full of tripe to be honest. He hit Angle with a cheap shot and couldn't get the job done. Shameful.

Edited by CoTT

Guest Thirteen
From what I remember Puder locked one onto Angle when they had a match on Smackdown once when in the Tough Enough tournament, they had the referee's break it up and turn it into a lame finish, although I could be wrong. I'd love to see them go at it though, with Angle claiming to knockout Puder in the first round it could be interesting to see the result.
Read the bit in bold, and then go and read the original thread topic post again.;)

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity