Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

A WWE PPV In The UK?

Guest Daredevil

Guest Daredevil
Source WrestleMag.com

According to WrestleMag.com, WWE is strongly considering holding a pay-per-view in the United Kingdom in the next year to 18 months. Below is the exclusive WrestleMag.com report: "According to several sources I’ve spoken to over the past few days, dates in Autumn 2007 and Spring 2008 have been looked at, and although at time of writing this I’m not aware of firm dates being agreed, it appears that both WWE and BSkyB are keen for a UK based PPV event to take place. I’ve heard nothing to suggest that the PPV would only air live to the UK market, and although broadcasting back home to the United States and worldwide would cause a major headache for WWE, it’s not entirely out of the question."

I hope it happens. WWE needs to have another PPV outside the US in my opinion. So what to yous guys think of this?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Marc McCann
Ummm, dont they do this regulaly anyway?

canada obviously gets a fair amount, puerto rico had new years revolution earlier in this year.

i think the 'E' should bring a PPV over here, wouldn't have to be a major one though. they'd probably have 'The Great British Bash', they might not even change the name from the Great American Bash and have it in Manchester!

The Millenium Stadium or new Wembley would be ideal, obviously the Millenium has the adantage of the roof, but I reckon if they are considering it they'll be looking at Wembley for the prestige, I reckon they'd get close to 100,000 fans in there. I've been saying it for a long time, it would be about time if they did. SummerSlam returning to Wembley 15 years later would be great.

Guest Kanenite
This is awesome news, I hope it goes ahead. They would need to hold it somewhere different to the obvious venues though, Wembley being a prime example would be amazing, I wouldn't really care where I got seats but just being there. Whether it be Summerslam or something smaller like Unforgiven it will surely have an amazing turn out.

Guest porridge
Well their last UK PPV was Insurrextion in June 2003 so they haven't done it for a while.

Wasn't that a UK only PPV though?

If they did hold it here, I don't believe it would be one of the big 4. I'm sure WWE will be of the opinion that they MUST have those on live in primetime US. I'd guess that the new Wembley would be big favourite for any UK based PPV. The Millenium Stadium is really only being used for big events while Wembley is being rebuilt, and they don't go to Wales much as it is already.

Edited by porridge

Guest Adam Gill

Hopefully WWE will promote another 'proper' pay-per-view here in the UK.

By 'proper' I mean a Backlash, SummerSlam, No Mercy etc and not another of those terrible Rebellion type UK-only shows.

It is about time, as others have said, with it being way back in 1992 since SummerSlam at Wembley.

The thing is, wouldn't the show have to start at 1am (UK time) for it to be shown live in America?

Which would cause a massive problem, obviously.

They could of course simply tape the show on the Sunday afternoon and broadcast at the usual time in the States, but I've always been under the impression that WWE want all their pay-per-views to be live.

What did they do to get around the time difference at SummerSlam 1992 in Wembley staduim?

The Millenium Stadium or new Wembley would be ideal, obviously the Millenium has the adantage of the roof, but I reckon if they are considering it they'll be looking at Wembley for the prestige, I reckon they'd get close to 100,000 fans in there. I've been saying it for a long time, it would be about time if they did. SummerSlam returning to Wembley 15 years later would be great.

I'll eat my hat if WWE draws 100,000 live spectators anywhere.

Guest y2kwrestlingfan

It make sense to do it in Wales at the Millenium Stadium.

If they do it at Wembley and it rains they are screwed.

Or they could use the O2 arena in London that's gonna be around 20,000+ when completed.

Guest porridge
It make sense to do it in Wales at the Millenium Stadium.

If they do it at Wembley and it rains they are screwed.

Or they could use the O2 arena in London that's gonna be around 20,000+ when completed.

Ah good point, I'd forgotten about the roof. That's a good card to hold.

Would you like any fries with your hat? I think one day it will happen. Very unlikely to be over here though.

The thing is, wouldn't the show have to start at 1am (UK time) for it to be shown live in America?

Which would cause a massive problem, obviously.

They could of course simply tape the show on the Sunday afternoon and broadcast at the usual time in the States, but I've always been under the impression that WWE want all their pay-per-views to be live.

The trouble with taping in the afternoon is the internet. Spoilers would be a killer for the US buyrate.

If WWE wanted it on US primetime then it would have to start in the early hours in the UK.

But they did that for one of Ricky Hatton's fights recently so it can be done. The majority of people rely on cars so there wouldn't be big need to arrange special public transport unless it was in London. And it would still sellout but the make up of the crowd would probably be different to your normal event. No parent is going to take their kid to a wrestling show in the middle of a school night. Oooooh the idea of a 1am start gets better all the time! :lol

Edited by porridge

Guest krudler

well since wrestlemania 23 is going to be 80,000+ and sold out in ten minutes then surely theyd draw 100k+ anywhere,and im gonna be one of those 80,000 at mania!

Guest MastersGonads

I wouldnt be suprised if it was December to Dismember next year....

Then I was sat with the people in charge of WWE on BskyB last night, and there was no mention of this....so Im not sure where wrestlemag got the story from

Guest Slim Jim
well since wrestlemania 23 is going to be 80,000+ and sold out in ten minutes then surely theyd draw 100k+ anywhere,and im gonna be one of those 80,000 at mania!

Actually they've only sold 50,000 and they've been available to buy for about 2 weeks, but yeah they could draw 100,000. In the UK though? I know it's popular here, but it's a risk that the logistics of a PPV that big wouldn't allow them to take.

Summerslam '92 was attended by over 80,000 fans, this was when Wembley had a football capacity of around 72,000. The new Wembley would hold 90,000 + how ever many they get on the playing area. If WWE were to do this I reckon it would be at Wembley again so they can get maximum ticket sales to make up for any PPV buys they lose.

As for the rain, in '92 they had a cover over the ring as they do with outdoor boxing events.

Back in '92 the event took place on Saturday evening but was shown in the US on Sunday evening, if I remember rightly it was shown Sunday afternoon on Sky Sports. This was before the days of the internet so spoilers weren't such a problem.

I have no doubt that if they bought WrestleMania or SummerSlam to the UK, they'd sell 100,000 tickets no problem. I'd want to go and I hardly ever watch wrestling anymore. In '92 it sold out in hours.

Edited by K.J

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity