Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Interesting ECW bits

Guest The Great Ahmar

Guest The Great Ahmar
source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Due to WWE's recent move of dropping all ECW-only house shows, the next few months probably won't be much fun for lower tier ECW wrestlers such as Tony Mamaluke, C.W. Anderson and Danny Doring.

Considering that only upper tier ECW wrestlers are going to be appearing at the combined house shows with SmackDown or RAW stars (pretty much the people who regularly appear on television), the underneath guys aren't going to get much in the way of bookings due to space limitations on house show cards. The ECW wrestlers with higher guarantees are going to be booked often, so this won't matter much to them, but the low-end guys are really going to have it tough for the next few months because they're hardly going to get booked.

Most of the talent that signed on for ECW back in the spring agreed to some really low downside contracts. Most of the "ECW Originals" agreed to $500 a week deals ($26,000 a year), which is actually less than what a lot of the developmental talent get, not to mention considerably less than what lower tier RAW and SmackDown talent get. The downsides are so low for ECW talent that their biggest acquisition, Sabu, agreed to a $1,500 a week contract ($78,000 a year). Although, considering that he's solidly booked and often appears at pay-per-view events, he'll earn far more due to bonuses.

Internally, the plan is to combine ECW and SmackDown house shows (and some RAW) until at least April 2007.

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter, ECW.com

Due to the lack of depth on the ECW roster, WWE probably isn't too keen on doing ECW-specific PPVs for much longer. To show you the lack of depth on the ECW roster, WWE hasn't even booked a single undercard match for the upcoming December to Dismember pay-per-view - and it's only two weeks away. The future ECW pay-per-views after this one will more than likely be spiced up by talent from both RAW and SmackDown - more so than usual. The next ECW PPV event after December to Dismember is scheduled to take place in June. Furthermore, the idea that the ECW Champion has to draw doesn't really matter anymore because he'll be working on either RAW or SmackDown live events for the time being. Because the champion doesn't have to draw, WWE probably won't be as hesitant to give the belt to certain people who probably wouldn't get it otherwise.

Interesting!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
I can see ECW getting pulled form TV soon, its pretty obvious Vince dosn't care for it or he'd be looking to improve the situations riased in this.

Guest Adam Gill
I can see ECW getting pulled form TV soon, its pretty obvious Vince dosn't care for it or he'd be looking to improve the situations riased in this.

I don't think it will.

I'm not one for looking into ratings too much but as far as I know ECW has been doing pretty decent ratings on Sci:Fi.

Vince is just using his loaf, due to the lack of depth of talent ECW would always struggle to draw in crowds for house shows and struggle to fill up 3 hours of pay-per-view time so just sticking some matches on Raw and Smackdown house shows and pay-per-views makes sense.

Plus WWE already have too many pay-per-view events a year anyway, adding 4 or 5 more a year for ECW could start to saturate the market.

So, by looking at those factors the sensible thing to do is to cut the ECW only house shows and pay-per-views and keep the television going each week on Sci:Fi.

I think everyone knew ECW would only be their to support Raw and Smackdown, not over-take them.

Guest Sparrow

Agreed.

I can also see it being pulled, it seems at first it was there to get old ECW wrestlers away from TNA, now Vinnie can see that it did not work he is not caring about it to much.

I enjoy ECW and don't want it to leave as it gives good wrestler air time, but the

badly booked PPV has made it worse for me and hope they get it together soon and work more on ECW.

I could see it (ECW) getting pulled if there isn't a significant boost in ratings and a major revamping of the roster within the next six months to a year. The likes of Mamaluke, Anderson and Doring could never have expected much from WWE's incarnation of ECW and they will probably collect their cheques for as long as possible and will then take a hike back to the indies when things finally go sour.

Guest the HiTman

If it goes, then good ridance. It has ruined the ECW name and never needed to be brought back. I hate it.

We may get one good thing out of it; CM Punk...but he didn't need WWECW to make a name for himself.

Guest Sparrow
WWECW.

Why does everyone call it that, do you call it WWERAW? No.

The fact of the matter is ECW is seen as another brand and not a sperated WWE product.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Why does everyone call it that, do you call it WWERAW? No.

The fact of the matter is ECW is seen as another brand and not a sperated WWE product.

When it was brought back it was meant to be seen as a seperate product and :xyx

Guest Sparrow
When it was brought back it was meant to be seen as a seperate product and :xyx

Oh i never knew that, i read somewere that it is just seen as a third product

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Was it really?

Yes it was, the plan according to reports form Meltzer etc was for Raw and SD to be WWE shows and ECW to be seen as a seperate brand all together, a sort of 'anti wwe' product for those who didn't watch the main shows,

Oh i never knew that' date=' i read somewere that it is just seen as a third product[/quote']

WWE's now think it can only thrive if people see it as a part of WWE like Raw and SD so that report is right but originally it was not the case :)

Edited by Nemesis Enforcer

Guest MastersGonads
Yes it was, the plan according to reports form Meltzer etc was for Raw and SD to be WWE shows and ECW to be seen as a seperate brand all together, a sort of 'anti wwe' product for those who didn't watch the main shows,

Hmmm not to sure about that even if Meltzer has put his seal on it...

Here's another piece of news that I find interesting... and disgusting.

Rob Van Dam was told this past week by John Laurinaitis that he has to go to Iraq for the WWE holiday special. For those that don't know RVD was the only WWE performer who exercised his option in 2004 to refuse to fly to Iraq. Well now WWE arent giving him the option and Rob was said to be visably angry and threw a tirade backstage over the decision.

Conscientious objector? Johnny Ace don't care. Why should RVD be subjected to Vince's manipulation of the ignorant redneck demographic? Anyone who saw Vonce's speach at the last "support the troops" show sould be able to tell that it was more of a "support the war" special

Edited by Twig

Guest Christof

Conscientious objector? Johnny Ace don't care. Why should RVD be subjected to Vince's manipulation of the ignorant redneck demographic?

RVD kinda signed away any luxury of objecting when he got busted for drugs. In fairness he's lucky to have a job after that, a lesser performer would have been bounced quicker than a cheque from Paul Heyman. Now he has to serve his punishment and tow the company line.

Conscientious objector? Johnny Ace don't care. Why should RVD be subjected to Vince's manipulation of the ignorant redneck demographic? Anyone who saw Vonce's speach at the last "support the troops" show sould be able to tell that it was more of a "support the war" special

That show was utterly horrible, if RVD doesn't agree with going to Iraq then in no way should he be forced to go, nobody should.

For RVD not going to Iraq, read Austin not jobbing to Brock. People said that Austin was in the wrong because he should've done what the guy who signs his cheques said, then surely the same should be said for RVD. I understand it's a different set of circumstances, but it is still the same situation, a wrestler not wanting to do what the boss tells him. Ace told him, but you Vince ordered it.

RVD can still say he doesn't agree with the war in Iraq, I'm sure he's not the only one in WWE who doesn't, and still do the show. THe show isn't for the benefit of the Iraq war, it is to entertain the troops, many of whom don't want to be there either.

As has been said, he got busted for illegal substances AND had that news broadcast around the entire world, heaping shame on the company and himself. The fact that he still has a job to take him to Iraq in the first place is all he needs to care about.

Yeah I agree on that one.

Its not going to damage him, if anything going to Iraq will probably give him some credibility in Vince's eyes. Then again if he wants to leave, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't want to go for those reasons. Just looking for a way out maybe?

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity