Fan Clubs

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

***HBK Unhappy with the Mania Main Event***

Paul

Shawn Michaels was said to be extremely upset and unhappy with his match against John Cena last night, screaming about how it sucked right when he got backstage. The spot after the match where HBK abruptly walked away from a Cena handshake attempt was not scripted, as they were supposed to shake hands. Michaels was red hot at Cena for not selling his leg that he spent the first few minutes of the match working on. A lot of the agents were unhappy with Cena for that as well. In fact, you could see during the match that HBK got in Cena's face and started cutting a shoot promo on him, which is why the audio went out for a few seconds and was replaced with crowd noise.

Credit: Dave Meltzer

It is believed that the Backlash PPV on April 29 (which will feature stars from all three brands) was to see rematches from WrestleMania 23 including John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels and Batista vs. The Undertaker. However, according to new reports by The Wrestling Observer, things were leaning towards those plans changing as decisions on Backlash are being made today at the Raw taping in Dayton, OH. While a Cena vs. Michaels rematch is up in the air, a rematch between Batista and The Undertaker is expected.

For those who might have missed it, a fan hit the ring during the beginning of the John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels WWE Title Match at WrestleMania 23 last night at Ford Field in Detroit. Fans in attendance said the man wanted to streak, but referee Mike Chioda took him down. Michaels was spotted wanting to get in a shot on the fan, but Chioda stopped him from doing it. At that point, Michaels hopped up on the turnbuckle and Chioda rang the bell. However, according to The Wrestling Observer Michaels reportedly refused to start the match until the fan was removed as he wanted total attention on the main event.

Speaking of this match, my good friend JJ Sexay over at Wrestle Talk Radio gave me a phone call late last night and spotted something very interesting. When Michaels remained sitting on top of the turnbuckle before the main event got underway, there is a close-up camera shot of Michaels yelling something to the referee and Cena. I completely missed this the first time around. Apparently, Michaels yells something to the effect of, "Let's get this sh*t show over with, I've got a job to do." Again, the audio isn't great, but Michaels definitely said something that would lead many to believe that maybe plans were changed at the last minute for Cena to retain. Then again, many felt Cena would retain all along. Either way, it is an interesting thing to take a look at if anyone has a copy of the show from last night.

taken from another forum, claimed to be from Wrestleview.

While I agree with HBK, just what did he expect? No offence to *** guy but Cena isnt exactly known for his selling or in ring skills. he, like Hogan, is known for his charisma both in and out of the ring.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Great Ahmar
What a little bitch! I mean that is the attitude that made him a world class ***** before "Regilon" came along!

Guest Citizen Kane

Apparently the top report isn't from Meltzer.

But there was a report during Mania yesterday that was from Dave apparently which said HBK was winning the Title, then dropping it at Backlash.

I hate the perceived notion by fans that you have to sell something 24/7. Someone else made the point elsewhere, but were it a football match, the footballer would have been tackled, shook off the pain and be back on within 5 minutes as good as new. Hogan didn't sell all the time. Neither did Austin, and he's considered one of the best of all time. In fact, Austin was TERRIBLE for long-term selling during the Attitude era.

Plus, as said, Michaels can't really say anything. Mr. Kip Up At Any Time...

Get kicked in the leg full force a few times and you will limp for a while though Dra. Do some MMA and find out. ;)

However otherwise I do agree. HBK sucks for selling these days.

Guest Citizen Kane

I dont know for sure, but it was posted at another forum and apparently attributed to him by some random guy.

The report itself screams BS anyway, the handshake thing was CLEARLY scripted and Cena's leg selling wasn't nearly the criminal offence people are making out to be.

Get kicked in the leg full force a few times and you will limp for a while though Dra. Do some MMA and find out. ;)

Oh I know. I partook in higher education, so I know what it's like ;)

But the point is that Cena did sell it by shaking it off, and then started running on adrenaline. From experience, adrenaline is one hell of a drug no matter what state you're in.

It was said on another board but it rings true: if it makes anyone feel better, imagine Cena backstage screaming and limping because the adrenaline wore off.

Guest The Beltster

IF HBK is pissed about the match, I cant say I blame him, seeing as the match was utter shite and all. And Cena is a crap seller, but then so is HBK and selling in general is a lost art.

For anybody who questioned Hogan's selling though, I find that absurd. Barring the Hulk-Up where he no-sold everything, Hogan's selling was amazing.

Orton is probably the only guy in WWE today who I think stands out for his selling. HHH can be good at times aswell.

At the end of the day, though, I dont care what anybody says: Shawn Michaels is a whiney ass little bitch, always has been and always will be. If he doesnt get his own way he pouts and moans and throws a tantrum. Christ, he is still taking pathetic little potshots at Hulk Hogan from his loss at SummerSlam almost 2 f'n years ago! Its funny, after the match he was shaking Hogans hand and kissing his ass, notice he didnt say bugger all to Hogans face, because he knew Hogan would rip his head off and shove it up his arse.

Edited by The Beltster

Oh I know. I partook in higher education, so I know what it's like ;)

:lol

But the point is that Cena did sell it by shaking it off, and then started running on adrenaline. From experience, adrenaline is one hell of a drug no matter what state you're in.

Thats the thing, he didnt shrug it off. He sold it and suddenly stopped selling for no reason. I cant phrase this properly no matter how hard I try, but here goes: when you fight your adrenalin kicks in from the offset, then you come down with the pain, once you start your comeback you overcome the pain but not the ability of your body to work.

Not a great way to put it, but its the best I can do.

It was said on another board but it rings true: if it makes anyone feel better, imagine Cena backstage screaming and limping because the adrenaline wore off.

Im not for or against Cena any more. Just...meh.

Guest Citizen Kane

Thats the thing, he didnt shrug it off. He sold it and suddenly stopped selling for no reason. I cant phrase this properly no matter how hard I try, but here goes: when you fight your adrenalin kicks in from the offset, then you come down with the pain, once you start your comeback you overcome the pain but not the ability of your body to work.

Not a great way to put it, but its the best I can do.

I watched it again today, he shook it off when he was waiting for Shawn to get up after running into the ring post.

For anybody who questioned Hogan's selling though, I find that absurd. Barring the Hulk-Up where he no-sold everything, Hogan's selling was amazing.

Just to surprise you I disagree :P

While Hogan sold for things I though his actual selling was poor. He did try, but I could never buy into it. Thats as a kid as well as looking back.

Its funny, after the match he was shaking Hogans hand and kissing his ass, notice he didnt say bugger all to Hogans face, because he knew Hogan would rip his head off and shove it up his arse.

Maybe he was told it was more than his job was worth to do otherwise? not saying thats true, just a possibility. But if he wasnt then I would agree.

Michaels is really getting annoyed with lossing at big events these days ain't he?

First the Hogan debacle which was childish (I mean as much as I don't like Hogan what do expect when you are facing him on a major PPV?) and then this?

The same man who had his back worked over with sledgehammer shots, a chair and backbreakers in the run up and during his 2002 comeback against HHH only to kip up during the match complains that someone doesn't sell the leg after a bit of filler leg work?

I mean the Piledriver on the steps was more of a spot and Cena sold being goofy off that better and kept some of that same sell going for the rest of the match as well which helped the match.

Plus as Draven said Cena at that point would have been in a postion to not be feeling the leg anyhow and Michaels should have sold his back more off the Proto-Bomb and FU anyhow.

Ah well I thought the match was alright, shame the bloke who helped piece it together didn't but then again this is a man who with HHH buried the tag divison and demoted the champ down the card in early 2007 so what can you say?

Guest youcantseeme

Sh*t happens, there's no need to moan about it. At least he was in a match at WM, especially the main event. Any superstar on all 3 rosters wanted to be in it.

Maybe Taker-Tista should have been the main event. HBK = Diva :D

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Cena did a worse job of selling the Piledriver to the steps then he did the leg working over got imo

Yes HBK is a whiny little bitch, I have always said so even though he wants to portray himself as a god botherer now its not change dhim, but Cena is not innocent either, his selling of both leg and piledriver was shoddy at best

I watched it again today, he shook it off when he was waiting for Shawn to get up after running into the ring post.

Well I cant remember that....but I was hammered. So i will take your word.

I mean the Piledriver on the steps was more of a spot and Cena sold being goofy off that better and kept some of that same sell going for the rest of the match as well which helped the match.

The blade work was awesome as well.

HBK = Diva :D

I thought it odd when Cena wasn't selling the leg..........then he started selling the leg. It's filmed footage of him selling the leg.......proof, if you will, that he sold the leg.

Reports suggesting he sold it to Heather McCartney were made up just now.

Guest The Beltster
Just to surprise you I disagree :P

While Hogan sold for things I though his actual selling was poor. He did try, but I could never buy into it. Thats as a kid as well as looking back.

You disagree with everything I say, I'm starting to get you and Draven Cage confused, I'm sure you are the same person :lol As for Hogans selling, I always thought it was very good, I believed everything he did.

Maybe he was told it was more than his job was worth to do otherwise? not saying thats true, just a possibility. But if he wasnt then I would agree.
I'd say thats 99.999999% not the case, and more along the lines of what I said. HBK has enough stroke to refuse a handshake. And even if he DIDNT have enough stroke, HBK does what he wants anyways, hence the shots at Hogan the next night on RAW which made a complete mockery of the match and the business in general, and the continued shots to this day, plus his history of doing what he wants etc.

Fact is, everybody knows HBK is all mouth and nothing to back it up with. He gobbed off to Hart and he kicked his ass, he didnt dare say anything to Hogans face because Hogan would have buried his head in the mat without question.

I'd have no problem with HBK's shots if they were things he would say to Hogans face, but they arent because he is a p*ssy. Reminds me of Randy Savage. He is a wimp too. He mouthed off for YEARS and all along I said "He'd never say that to Hogans face, Hogan would kill him!" and everybody said "No way, Savage would hammer Hogan in a shoot!" Well, we all found out the truth there, just another person who likes to run their mouth and do squat in person. Makes me sick.