Fan Clubs

Shmups....Is there still a market?

Guest MojoPogo

Guest MojoPogo

Having bought Earth Defence Force 2017 for my xb360 the other day (absolute gold by the way!), i thought to myself, is there still a market for old school, throw the world and the kitchen sink at the player style shooters?

Right back from playing Phoenix in the arcade, i've always been a fan of shooters of all types, Smash TV being my favourite, closely followed by Ikaruga on the Dreamcast, and although games involving shooting are still being released, they tend to be FPS's or tactical squad based games, neither of which im really into (GOW excepted).

For those who dont know, EDF basically tasks the player with stopping an alien invasion by blowing s*** up. No more, no less. No love interest, no big twist at the end, and it allows you to literally blow everything up. Ok, the presentation is at best minimal, but the sheer satisfaction you get from making it to the end of a level is fantastic. Better still, its two player co-op.

And only 19 quid. Ok, so thats a cheap plug (literally) but still, its probably going to be overlooked because it isnt a big license. Check it out!

Any other fans of shoot em ups, out there, if so what do you think?

Guest Anime Otaku
I was thinking of getting it from Amazon but it was a week waiting at the time I got Bullet Witch though which is kinda similar. Personally I thoink these types of games are really great for a short blast if your not looking for something deep like Oblivion. Kind like video game junk food :D

Guest Clarkey

I think there is definantly still a market though, the success of the XBox Live arcade with titles like Geometry Wars testifies that people still want these fun, straight to the point, 'old school' games. The industry as a whole has got caught up in this belief that it has to change peoples perceptions of games, and make people appreciate them as an art form on a par with works of great Cinema. Alot of the time too much concern is placed on the importance of a gripping storyline, the cleverness of a plot line and an influx of star names and properties in an attempt to allure those that aren't already gamers in.

But the thing is, gamers in general do not want these things in every single title they play. Gaming is a form of escapism, and as the original audience of gamers grow up they do not have the time anymore to spend hours on end ploughing through titles to reach the climax of a story. I'm not at all saying that there is not room for these more complex titles, with thier Hollywood storylines, far from it. I look forward to enjoying these titles as much as the next gamer, but the ressurgence of the more old school, fun approach is no coincidence. Alongside these more complex titles they add to the industry and offer the alternative that many crave, as you can get lost in the influx of titles leading to many sitting on the shelf unfinished.

Nintendo have raised it alot, but one of the main reasons to play a title other than the obvious point of being entertained, is to have fun and enjoyment. Titles such as EDF 2017 offer this fun, even if it does have a short shelf life and can get repetitive. That is where they fit hand in hand with the more complex titles as they offer a get away, and let people loosen their collar inbetween prolonged sessions of FF. The problem is the industry itself in the majority of cases isn't doing enough to promote these fun titles (recently the only title I can think of off the top of my head with major press that had this sort of approach was Dead Rising, outside of Nintendo) and instead focusing on trying to fulfil this myth that the Videogame industry is the new Hollywood. Thus alot of gamers are missing out on the fun they could be having with gaming, and it causes alot of them to be distanced inbetween the releases of the big franchises.

I can see a huge growth in independantly developed games as has been steadily rising for this reason. The likes of Little Big Planet, offering gamers the chance to customise and do whatever they want with no inhibitions, for as long as they wish; coupled with titles along the lines of EDF, where by the player is essentially handed the setting and then given weaponry to wreak havoc. Not every gaming session needs to be a chore; fun can do no harm at all.

Guest MojoPogo
Good call clarkey. I think we're missing some more immediate, instant thrill games. Thoroughly glad i bought EDF. Wonder if you can go XBox live with it? That would be freakin awesome!

Good call clarkey. I think we're missing some more immediate, instant thrill games. Thoroughly glad i bought EDF. Wonder if you can go XBox live with it? That would be freakin awesome!

Did you get set up on live yet bud?