Fan Clubs

Hulk Hogan vs Paul The Great White

Guest The Beltster

Guest The Beltster

ok I know it seems like I'm the only person here who is really into Hogan and he is upto, so this thread might die on its arse, but after following this in the dirtsheets and watching Memphis Wrestling for the past month, I'm ultra hyped about this match!

Hogans promos over the past 3 weeks have been off the hook awesome, we're talking oldschool 1985 - 1987 Hulkamania style Hulk Hogan. Watching him cut these heartfelt promos tells me that he was obviously being scripted in WWE AND that his effort levels just werent there for those promos while working with Vince. His stuff in Memphis has been insane like his oldschool deal, I love it.

Its a shame this event will likely only be seen by a couple thousand people and isnt getting any TV coverage barring on Hogan Knows Best sometime in the next few months. Hogans promos alone have sold this match to me, if I could I'd certainly pay PPV money to see it, and the match will probably stink, so it says alot for how well Hogan has done on the mic to sell this deal.

Has anybody else seen the past several Memphis Wrestling episodes?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ravenmark

I haven't seen Hogan's promo's, I presume they're being shown on TWC or on youtube?

I'd watch the match for definite if it was on TV or PPV and it's a shame it's not.

There's been so little promotion for the event it's unreal too and I think had Lawler still been involved, Hogan and Lawler may have drawn 10000 peeps.

I'd like to see Hogan get into promoting, doing super shows with a mix of unsigned talent and legends, I think it could do well on PPV and would draw reasonably well.

Guest Christof

The XWT tracker has them, not sure if it's against the rules to say but seeing as the rules these days are more or less blurred lines of fuzz I'd expect not.

Especially if I post a smiley :tban

Guest The Great Ahmar
I've seen the shows "available" on what Christof said, but haven't been asked purely because I think the whole Memphis show sucks ass! Anyway if they do record this show on tape delay and it is "available" I will give it a go. What the rest of the card but the way?

Guest The Beltster

Memphis Wrestling is pretty good, its extremely oldschool, a studio show with footage of their Sams Town shows. I kinda like it, its nice to see the older guys on there like Koko B Ware and so on, but the budget it tiny and alot of the wrestlers stink.

As for the rest of the Clash of the Legends card, I dunno. I know there are 9 matches, one of them a womens triple threat, the card is stacked full of names from the past though (and some duds).

Scott Steiner, Buff Bagwell, Koko, Rock n Roll Express (although 1 of them has been pulled by Vince), Barbarian, Valentine, Beefcake, Kid Kash, Jim Cornette, Jimmy Hart, Bubba the Lovesponge, The Assasins, The Griz etc

Hogans promos alone have sold this match to me, if I could I'd certainly pay PPV money to see it, and the match will probably stink, so it says alot for how well Hogan has done on the mic to sell this deal.

:lol

You would buy it anyway, lets be honest mate.

From the reports this is bombing baddly though isnt it?

Guest The Beltster

It started going down the toilet once Vince pulled Lawler. Fact is, even now, Lawler is a big name star and a pretty good draw in Memphis. Lawler vs Terry Funk drew almost 5000 in Memphis in like 2004, so Lawler vs Hogan was expected to draw at least double, which would be double what Vince draws there as he never gets much more than 5000 in FedEx unless its for a PPV.

I guess Vince didnt like the idea of Hogan helping to draw double the size crowd he usually gets in the same building and pulled Lawler. Not it looks like they might end up with 2500 - 3000 which, for an indy show is very very good, but for a show with Hulk Hogan headlining isnt going to make Hogan happy.

Who knows, there might be a huge walk up on the night and tickets might sell then, we'll see.

Oh I would never doubt the drawing power of Lawler in Memphis. Just seems odd that Hogan cant do the same numbers off his own back as Lawler.

Meh, what do I know? Id travel across the Uk to meet Billington. :lol

Guest The Beltster
Oh I would never doubt the drawing power of Lawler in Memphis. Just seems odd that Hogan cant do the same numbers off his own back as Lawler.

Meh, what do I know? Id travel across the Uk to meet Billington. :lol

Memphis isnt a Hulk Hogan/WWF town, they never really ran there during the Hulkamania glory days just as they didnt run the South much, the Carolinas etc as that was Flair/NWA country as they say.

Hogan is seen almost as the enemy in Memphis, so why he chose to run there over somewhere like New York or New Jersey or Chicago I'll never know. Hell, he should have booked Montreal, he is God up there!

Guest The Beltster

Hogan has his good towns and his bad towns like anybody really. He is horrible in Texas, amazing in New York. Crap in Memphis, amazing in Montreal. The southern states who grew up on NWA are less inclined to sell out buildings to see Hulk Hogan.

Austin is horrible in some places, I remember reading people in either California or Washington gave him a real hard time, and the Rock never really had to draw on his own, he always had Austin there and when he was out, the top spot was split between Rock, HHH, Taker, Mankind and so on, so who knows how he would draw in certain places on his own merit.

I remember reading people in either California or Washington gave him a real hard time

Probably Washington. I remember San Jose treating him like a God.

As for the Hogan match, I'll be surprised if it happens. I'm kinda on the Alverez wave of thinking here. If tickets sales are as low as it's been reported, I wonder if Hogan will really wanna do it. Hitting a 2.000 arena with 2,000 in is something. To hit a 2,000 audience with 8,000 seats is far different. Not exact numbers, but you're not looking at anywhere near a sell-out either.

If anything, it'll be interesting. I'll be shocked, yet gain new respect for Hogan if he goes ahead and does it in front of half a sell-out. I won't believe it until I see it though. if I hear of a "knee injury" a night before, I won't be surprised.

Guest The Great Ahmar

I found this on another broad:

*Hogan vs. Paul Wight

*Brutus Beefcake & Bubba the Love Sponge vs. The Assassins managed by Sal Corrente

*Buff Bagwell vs. Brian Christopher

*Abdullah the Butcher vs. Al Greene

*Koko Ware & Kid Cash vs. Bill Dundee & Dutch Mantell managed by Jimmy Valiant

*Barbarian vs. Moondog Cujo

*Greg Valentine vs. Mr. Hughes

*Ricky Morton & ? vs. 2 Cool II

*Jazz vs. Christie Ricci vs. Miss Passion

That looks a awful card!

Guest DarkMatchJobber

I agree with Beltmark that Hogan's promo was very good but I think Paul Wight deserves praise for his promo which I thought was better than any he ever cut in WWE.

I've watched Memphis wrestling before and it's not all bad,there was a weird clown team that I liked for some unknown reason.

Guest The Beltster
MEMPHIS WRESTLING RESULTS: HULK HOGAN VS. PAUL WIGHT AND MORE

by Brian Tramell @ 1:19:00 AM on 4/28/2007

----Moondog Cujo with "Big Cheese" Sal Corrente beat The Barbarian in pretty much a hardcore match. Crowd was into it. Barbarian had Cujo pinned, but Sal got on the ring apron with Cujo then pinning Barbarian.

----Greg Valentine beat Mr. Hughes with a roll up. Hughes had Valentine pinned with his feet on the ropes, but then ref Bill Rush seen it. Hughes had his back turned and Valentine rolled him up.

----Jazz beat Christie Ricci & Miss Passion in a triple threat Ladies Match.

----Abdullah The Butcher vs Big Al Greene was No Contest in a match that never got into the ring. A bloodbath. The fans got into it.

----Bill Dundee/Dutch Mantell with Jimmy Valiant vs Koko Ware/Bobby Eaton with Slick in the ring. Jimmy Hart came down from the announcer's desk to have the formation of the First Family with Koko/Eaton back together [they were a team a long time ago], then in called out Slick to manage them.

----Brutus Beefcake/Bubba The Love Sponge beat The New Assassins with "Big Cheese" Sal Corrente. Assassins looked just like the guys working in Memphis as Fire/Flame. Bubba was horrible in the ring. He did a splash from the second rope for the pin. Beefcake put Sal in the sleeper and they cut his hair after the match.

---- Brian Christopher beat Buff Bagwell with the hip hop drop. Bagwell talked about how bad Memphis was and heeled the crowd. Christopher came out to a huge pop.

----Southern Tag Team Title Match: Ricky Morton/Kid Kash beat "Too Cool 2" [Flex/Tim Grind] for the titles.

----Hulk Hogan beat Paul Wight slamming him and dropping the leg on him. It was around a 10 minute match with the crowd so nuts for Hogan!!

NOTES: No official figure, but I am guessing close to 6000 fans with a gate close to $256,500…Jazz performed her own entrance music to the ring…Koko had Frankie and got Lance Russell to dance with him…NBA's Memphis Grizzlies Mascot - The Grizz came out and was shooting t-shirts out to everyone at intermission…Before the show started, it was announced that "Too Cool 2" [Flex/Tim Grind] had regained the Southern Tag Team Titles from The Moondogs [Cujo/Spike]. That was one of those phantom changes. They announced Grind/Flex vs Rock N Roll Express for later in the show, but it turned out to be Kash/Morton…After Bubba’s match they brought some kid from St. Jude down and Bubba had the kid on his shoulders. VH1 cameras captured that and it was a kewl moment for the kid and the crowd…I got to say "great job" to Corey Maclin and crew for putting the local guys - Flex/Grind in the semi-main event. All my bitching about them not featuring the local guys and they do go and do this -- perfect way to get them over being seen by so many fans. I would have loved have seen them win, but apparently they got plans for Morton/Kash and Flex/Grind down the road…I was told all in all a fun show and crowd loved it.

----Brian Tramel @ http://www.rasslinriotonline.com with much appreciated help from Randy Dailey. Thanks to everyone for joining me on the site for the match by match coverage. I will continue to cover this story as a possible new era in Memphis Wrestling starts next weekend as they scheduled to do tapings with their regular crew. They promised the crowd a special TV show tomorrow night, so it will probably have clips from the show. Congrats to Memphis Wrestling cast and crew for a recording breaking crowd and setting a new standard for indy wrestling.

DAMN! Hogan slammed Show, at his age and broken down-ish condition, thats HUGE, and a possible crowd of 6000? In Memphis? Thats big time baby!

If this turns out to be true, then Hogan drew the biggest crowd in US indy wrestling history with a shitty card and in a town where he never ran. I'll await all the haters giving their ludicrous reasons why instead of simply giving the man credit and proving he can still draw. Hey, WWE only average 5000 in that building, so if Hogan out drew Vince, ha, smoke that McMahon!

And, he did it all without Lawler, the big draw in Memphis. Nice.

Guest MastersGonads
DAMN! Hogan slammed Show, at his age and broken down-ish condition, thats HUGE, and a possible crowd of 6000? In Memphis? Thats big time baby!

If this turns out to be true, then Hogan drew the biggest crowd in US indy wrestling history with a shitty card and in a town where he never ran. I'll await all the haters giving their ludicrous reasons why instead of simply giving the man credit and proving he can still draw. Hey, WWE only average 5000 in that building, so if Hogan out drew Vince, ha, smoke that McMahon!

And, he did it all without Lawler, the big draw in Memphis. Nice.

And of course your opinion is totally unbiased.....:xyx

Soooo....If Hogan did slam Big Show....is this not what was originally scheduled for Mania ;)

• Join the early access

Members are able to join clubs and participate in the forums.

• Latest Club Activity