Official SmackDown Discussion Thread - 11th May 2007

Guest FreeSpirit

Guest FreeSpirit

Preview:

UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm

USA: The CW at 8/7c

Steel City Showdown

11th May 2007

This Friday on SmackDown from Pittsburgh, the battle for the World Heavyweight Championship will see another chapter in a Steel Cage Match. Undertaker has made it clear that Batista will be stepping into the demon’s playground, while The Animal has vowed to win back the title he lost at WrestleMania. Can Batista live up to his word and defeat Undertaker for the World Heavyweight Championship in a Steel Cage in the Steel City?

Montel Vontavious Porter is another Superstar in search of gold, and the cocky MVP is the No. 1 contender to Chris Benoit’s United States Championship. Can MVP find a way to defeat the Rabid Wolverine to claim his first bling on SmackDown?

All this and much more on Friday Night SmackDown at 10pm on Sky Sports 3.[/Quote]

It's a shame that Taker is injured, and most likely will lose the title to Batista this week. I'm just hoping Mr Kennedy cashes 'his baby' in after the gruelling steel cage match, as I'm not sure I want another Batista title run again so soon after he lost it.

It would be great as well if MVP finally wins the United States Title off Chris Benoit. :xyx

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that Taker is injured, and most likely will lose the title to Batista this week. I'm just hoping Mr Kennedy cashes 'his baby' in after the gruelling steel cage match, as I'm not sure I want another Batista title run again so soon after he lost it.

No, no and NO! Have you not seen the Kennedy countdown clock angle? Seriously, this has the potential to be magnificent. Why do you want them to throw it away, wayyyyy before Kennedy has the credibility to be World Champion? If they keep this running until Wrestlemania 24 it could be a huge draw.

Henry, Orton and maybe even Umaga could easily keep Batista busy until either the Undertaker returns (if he is legit hurt) or until WM24 when Kennedy "cashes that baby in!"

Guest FreeSpirit
Yeah but the Kennedy clock angle thing may be a big roose (sp?), and can easily be changed anytime. Why not have him run with the title for a while. WM24 is friggin ages away, and he deserves to be champ well before then, although true say it would be good to see Kennedy win the title at WM24 in person.

Guest Slim Jim
From the moment he announced his countdown I figured it would be a swerve. When I heard about 'Taker I was hoping it wouldn't have to end so quickly. Now, the more I think about it, the more I would like Kennedy to use the countdown for the whole year. I think it could help make him the next big thing.

Guest Kanenite
330 days is soooooooo long though. I'd love to see Kennedy cash in before because I can't see Batista keeping interest in his Title run all the way to Wrestlemania 24. The day Kennedy is Champion will be awesome, whether it's Wrestlemania 24 or before I can't wait to see the day.

Guest Citizen Kane

Looks like a great Smackdown this coming week, 2 titles on the line and most likely 2 title changes.

Batista/Taker should be a great match, I think Batista will win this one. I can't see Kennedy taking the title yet and I too am looking forward to this countdown he's got going on. I wouldn't hate it if he did become champ, but I think it's best for now if Batista takes the Title.

Benoit/MVP should be great also. They seem to have a great chemistry and I find their matches pretty enjoyable. Would be great to see MVP take it and get his first belt.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Henry, Orton and maybe even Umaga could easily keep Batista busy until either the Undertaker returns (if he is legit hurt) or until WM24 when Kennedy "cashes that baby in!"

He is legit hurt or they wouldn't give a Cage match between Tista and Taker on free TV they'd make us pay for it at JD, and everywhere is reporting about his trip to see Dr Andrews before the SD taping last week

I can see Mark Henry returning to feud with Batista, probably he will interfere with the cage match next week and 'injure' Taker to explain his absence for the next 6-8 months, that seems more likely after Henry's promo on the last SD running down all the people he put out of action

Guest Danny Styles
i rekon kennedy will cash in the MITB shot way before 24, it would be the ultimate heel move, making people think he's cashing it in at WM24 and letting the champs rest only to cash it in when they least expect it and winning the title

Guest dpddave

Source: PWInsider.com

Dark Match:

*Eddie Colon, the younger brother of Carlito and son of Carlos Colon, defeated Shannon Moore in a good competitive match after a flying bodypress.

Smackdown:

*Smackdown opens with a promo on The Undertaker defending the WWE World championship against Batista in a Steel Cage match.

*WWE United States champion Chris Benoit & Matt Hardy defeated MVP & Finlay in a solid 15 minute bout after Benoit pinned MVP. The heels worked on Hardy's knee for a good portion of the bout and he limped all the way to the back.

*Another Steel Cage Match promo.

*Michelle McCool defeated Jillian Hall with a spinning neckbreaker. Hall "sang a song" before the match started.

*Backstage, Teddy Long told Kristal Marshall to have Vickie Guerrero come to Smackdown next week. Guerrero's name was booed. A new "country looking team" (Note from Mike: It's Freakin' Deacon - aka Fake Kane from Raw- and "Cousin Ray" - Terry Gordy's son Raw, both of whom most recently worked in Deep South Wrestling) appeared in the vignette and will be wrestling next week.

*They showed highlights of Edge capturing the Money in the Bank from Ken Kennedy on Raw.

*Michael Cole and JBL interviewed Ashley Massaro, who said she can't wait to get back in the ring to take care of Jillian Hall.

*Paul London, with Brian Kendrick defeated WWE Tag Team champion Domino, with Deuce and Cherry. London hit a dropsault on Deuce, knocking him off the apron, and landing on Domino following the flip for the pin.

*Another Steel Cage match promo.

*Kane (with Boogeyman and Little Boogey) defeated Dave Taylor (with William Regal) after a clothesline. Boogey clotheslined Regal right before the finish.

*Another Undertaker vs. Batista video promo.

*They announce Ozzy Osbourne will be performing live on Smackdown next week.

* Jimmy Wang Yang defeated WWE Cruiserweight champion Chavo Guerrero in a Non-Title match after reversing a top rope powerbomb attempt. Said to be a good but short match.

*Another Undertaker vs. Batista package.

*Snitsky promo, which may have been just for the live Arena.

The Undertaker vs. Batista for the WWE World championship inside a Steel Cage

They announced the match can be won by pinfall, submission or escape. Undertaker got a huge pop while Batista received a mixed reaction. Undertaker's arm is heavily braced and protected. Batista's right knee and quad is also taped up. The first five minutes saw some near falls. The crowd completely turned on Batista as he took control. Batista tried to escape but taker crotched him on the top rope. Taker took control for a moment, then both men hit each other with a clothesline and went down. Batista regained control of the match. Batista nearly scored a pinfall but Taker kicked up and regained control. He nailed a running clothesline in the corner then hit a big boot and a chokeslam for another near fall. Undertaker went for the Last Ride powerbomb but Barista countered and slammed Taker into the cage, busting him open. Batista nailed a spinebuster for a near fall. He tried to climb out of the cage but Undertaker caught him and nailed the Last Ride. Undertaker then tried to escape the cage. Batista began climbing out from another section of the cage, so both were trying to escape simultaneously. Both men hit the floor at the same time and it was announced as draw. Mark Henry came to ringside and attacked Taker.

Edge came out and cashed in his Money in the Bank title shot and began beating Taker, getting several near falls. Undertaker sat up, but was speared in the sitting position by Edge, who scored the pin. Edge is the new WWE World champion. The place went absolutely insane for the title change. After the match, Edge laid out Undertaker with the suitcase. Crowd then turned on Edge.

Guest dpddave

So edge is the new champ on smackdown...hopefully he"ll have a long run which he deserves.

And this sounds like one hell of a smackdown...

Edited by dpddave

Guest The Phenom Billz
WWE have also posted the outcome of the match on their website too and pictures from the match including a interview with Edge with the title.

Guest MastersGonads

Me yesterday.....

After Raw last night where Edge beat Kennedy for the MITB, rumour on the street is, Taker will beat Batista tonight in the Steel Cage only for Edge to cash in straight after the match, beating Taker, so Taker and Kennedy can have their respective time off, while Edge bolsters the main event scene on Smackdown

Though I repeat this is a rumour

Well the rumour was 99% right!

I didn't go on rumours. I don't have internet at home, nor did I have to go to work yesterday. So I win.. :lol

Anyway back on topic... This is still shocking to me. I'm so excited, I wanna scream... but now I am at work.

who will follow Edge to Smackdown now Kennedy and 'Taker are gone? Are are we gonna be subject to Edge-Batista? get Benoit to drop to MVP and have him and Edge in a feud... i woulkd say Matt-Edge, but think it's too soon for Matt yet. can't wait to see this on Friday for the last segment alone!

Guest Slim Jim

Well the rumour was 99% right!

Hardly a rumour, more like the blazingly obvious.

Doesn't stop it from being awesome though :)

Guest deadmansacolyte
hmm- this obviously means they intend to continue with the mr kenedy v edge rivalry..a sort of battle of the egomaniacs!... should be intresting.. to realy spice thing up though batista needs to turn full time heel- I miss the badass destructive batista

Guest MastersGonads
Hardly a rumour, more like the blazingly obvious.

Doesn't stop it from being awesome though :)

Is a rumour when you told before Raw starts! ;)

Guest Cathal
Batista's right knee and quad is also taped up.

Source: PWInsider.com

Batista had his leg taped up at last night’s SmackDown tapings from Pittsburgh, PA. The former WWE World Heavyweight Champion is not injured but had his leg taped up to protect a new tattoo.

Edited by Cathal