Fan Clubs

Japanese vs Western RPGS

Guest Jaycey Baby

Guest Jaycey Baby
I realise I'm probably not going to get a whole lot of support here, but does anyone else believe western RPGs are better than their Japanese counterparts? Can't fault the artistic direction on most JRPGs, but I find their blind adherence to cliches, such as the nature vs. technology theme and random, turn-based battles inferior to the scope of epics like Baldur's Gate 2 and Knights Of The Old Republic. With Neverwinter Nights 2 the only game for ages holding it down for D&D (until Dragon Age comes and blows our minds), I think it's time to show western RPGs some love. Who's with me?

Sorry but I like both equally. I love Dragon Quest (West) as much as Final Fantasy (East). KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights were both cool, i loved the editor on the later. Never liked Baldur's gate, a bit too predictable for me. Can't get enough of elder Scrolls and Digesia 2 right now (The later a little known PS2 Eastern rpg.)

Oh BTW try this free to download and free to play mmorpg Dofus

There is a couple of things in the game you need to suscribe to do, but the core of the game is free.

Edited by The Icon

Guest MojoPogo
I prefer Japanese RPGs, but recently, there have been a few crackers to come from the west (Jade Empire, KOTOR, Oblivion), i must admit, even now, i still hanker after some of the old SNES classics such as Chrono Cross, Illusion of Time and Secret of Mana. Great to see someone recognising the awesomeness that is Disgaea 2. For a tactical RPG, the script actually made me laugh on a number of occasions.......

Guest Anime Otaku
I love Oblivion and really wanted to try KOTOR, still may if the XB version works on 360. Though I am a big fan of the FF games too and Zelda to a lesser extent.

There is no KOTOR3 planned right now. in CVG magazine last month there was an interview with the company behind it. They said they wanted to do a threequel but it wasn't yet on the cards.

peaking to CVG about the in-development NeverWinter Nights 2, Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart was also happy to discuss with us the current "will it/won't it" situation surrounding LucasArts Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.

"We have been talking with LucasArts to do KOTOR3 since August 2004 and we hoped to do it since KOTOR2 was done. LucasArts is thinking what they want to do with it and we would happily make KOTOR3, if that's what LucasArts wants to do."

So it seems ideas are on the table, whether or not LucasArts will conclude this trilogy faster then they do with others, however, remains to be seen.

Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron is coming soon to PSP, no news on if it is on other systems.

Guest Clarkey

Mass Effect is their next biggie, but just got delayed. First of another proposed trilogy from Bioware. Definately worth browsing the Gaming sites for, as it looks just a bit special.

On the topic at hand though Jacey raises a good point, not something I agree with completely as I'd rather sit on the fence because of the great titles on both sides, but definately something that needs to be drummed home in many. I was reading an article (I think in GamesTM) about the myth that has built around Japan gaming wise, and how this ideology has been built that everything that arises from there is gold; negating the West's own gaming history. The UK for a start has a rich history with David Braban, the Stamper Brothers etc. Japan has alluring nuances, and produces some great titles, but it also delivers a great whom of tosh that is seemingly ignored from panning.

Guest Anime Otaku
Mass Effect is their next biggie, but just got delayed. First of another proposed trilogy from Bioware. Definately worth browsing the Gaming sites for, as it looks just a bit special.

I'm definitely getting Mass effect and Bioshock when they come out. Oddly, when I had my playstation and ps2 I only played FF games and the first .Hack game as far as RPGs but on XB360 its Oblivion I've played and the two other RPGs I'm looking forwards to are also western games.

Guest Twig
I haven't played RPG's since back when Japan rueled the genre. I'd love to get a PS3 and give the new generation a try, though.