Fan Clubs

Next Gen Consoles and the Test of time

Guest Chriscare

Guest Chriscare

Just wondering how everyone is enjoying the next generation consoles and what not. As someone who bought all 3 with each installment of my student loan I thought i could give a pretty un bias opinion to start us off.

Xbox 360 - Got this back in September and thought it was amazing, seemed such an improvement from the previous model and it got alot of usage. Gear of War was fantstic, which is coming from someone who doesnt like first person shooters, and Crackdown was great fun, GTA with super human abilites, genius!!

However, it's lack of new exciting titles brought it down for me as these two were really the only stand out games for me, and once these were done with it really only got a look in when i fancied a game of Pro Evo, so i sold the 360 to my friend start of April.

Nintendo Wii - I got the Wii at the start of January. You just can't imagine how much fun they are until you actually play on, i never imagined the gameplay working aswell as it does. However one thing about the Wii, you and your friends won't want to stop playing it (by it i mean Wii sports) and it's absolutly knackering.

The problem with the wii is, other than Wii sports, (and zelda, which i intend to get once i finished off the older ones) nothing else seemed really worth getting, i kept buying stuff, but trading it in as the control were more annoying and pointless than fun. (marvel ultimate alliance for example). But Wii sports is just that good, that it doesn't seem to get old. Warioware is a good laugh for drinking games, but that's about it, and i prefer the one ojn the gamecube really.

Speaking of the gamecube, in my opnion, this is one of the things that makes the Wii great for me, since buying the Wii i've bought sooooo many gamecube games off ebay, just choosing ones of ign's essential list of gamecube games, which i think alot of people will be able to do, as i dont know many people who really owned a gamecube in it's last couple of years. Donkey Konga is great!

Mario football is out tomoro, that should be great, and Wii has a pretty good summer of games ahead so i don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon, i've been tempted to sell it so many times for a nice profit, but it's just so essential for any gamer.

PS3 - Ah, the PS3, at the price this should've been the console that i really got my money's worth. I resisted for the first couple of week buying it, but then my student loan came through and i thought 'when am i ever going to be able to get a brand new console with every installment of my student loan again'. Everyone takes the piss out of me and Uni for how much of a waste of money this was. Don't get me wrong, i'm sure the PS3 is going to be awesome, but it really isn't yet.

How motorstorm looked in the shop in HD is what sold it to me in the first place, but there's just nothing great about it, Resistance just seems like a generic first person shooter and it just looks so terrible when playing it compared to what i'd hoped. Motorstorm is pretty fun, and virtua fighter is ok. PS3 just really hasn't sparked any interest for me, as someone who hasnt had a playstation for quite a few years i was quite excited at the backwards compatability, but most games i want won't work or work with issues. I've bought a few magazines, but nothing really sparked my interest, and it really doesn't look like this console is worth buying until September/October (which was my original plan, but i'm like king of the impulse buyers)

Currently my PS3 is sitting in it's box, and i'll probably get it out when i don't fancy watching a DVD on my lap top, i think i've probably managed about a total of 90 minutes of gaming on it in the past couple of months.

SO there ya go, that's my experience with the current new consoles for anyone who's wondering what to buy, or just fancied a read.

Here's my monthly breakdown of console play

September - December : Constant Xbox 360 play

January - February: Constant Wii play, No 360 play

March : Little Wii play, Little Mega Drive play, Moderate 360 play, Constant Gamecube play

April : Minor PS3 play, moderate wii play, Constant gamecube play

May: Minor Wii play, little to no PS3 play, minor gamecube play, minor ps2 play, moderate Dreamcast play

Guest Jaycey Baby
My 360 experience has been marred by the fact it's just broken down for the second time for no particular reason, but I've been very happy with it. There's only been a couple of games I've wanted at any particular time, which is a good thing from my perspective because I can't afford to be constantly buying games, but the ones I've had do some innovative things with the extra power the console has (such as Dead Rising's legions of zombies or Oblivion's spectacular draw distance), which is what I'd hoped would happen after Perfect Dark Zero's laminated men set off alarm bells early on.

Guest Chriscare

Hi Roo, long time no see, did you get my text, you gonna come tomoro, it's gonna be ace. Birthdays in 3 weeks, don't miss that either! good luck with the exams

sorry that's way off topic

I am a fan of the original NextGen consoles in the n64 and the Dreamcast and then later on the Cube and PS2.

Nothing the 360, Wii or PS3 has come close to what gameplay was acheived on those consoles at all. I think the Wii will make a decent fist of it and when the quality games do arrive for the PS3 it could be good...

But the fact is nothing beats the feeling you first got from playing GoldenEye on the n64, or Ocarina, or Mario or... well I could go on...

Then on the Sony side nothing beats the feeling you got when first got a hold on Smackdown, Reisdent Evil (and 2) and Gran Turismo.

Games now a days lack that original feeling, its all franchised and tweaked, nothing more.

The PSone, n64 and DreamCast triolgy was the pinnacle of gameplay for me and innovation. Nothing will top it and the face that I still play all three (and my SNES and MD) now more then anything bar my PSP just shows you how little the new consoles truely mean in the scheme of things.

But then thats just me.

The gameplay system is good for a few games like the Wii Sports package, Wario Ware and Zelda but unless devolpers use it properly then it will fade out.

I think the problem isn't the console designers as the Wii is a great concept after all, the problem lies in the game developers.

The greatest games of all time after are all pretty much in-house devolped or devolped by a console devolper owned company. Sega, Nintendo, Namco, Sony and Rare. Only exceptions where Capcom and maybe Konami.

Guest Jaycey Baby
I am a fan of the original NextGen consoles in the n64 and the Dreamcast and then later on the Cube and PS2.

Nothing the 360, Wii or PS3 has come close to what gameplay was acheived on those consoles at all. I think the Wii will make a decent fist of it and when the quality games do arrive for the PS3 it could be good...

But the fact is nothing beats the feeling you first got from playing GoldenEye on the n64, or Ocarina, or Mario or... well I could go on...

Then on the Sony side nothing beats the feeling you got when first got a hold on Smackdown, Reisdent Evil (and 2) and Gran Turismo.

Games now a days lack that original feeling, its all franchised and tweaked, nothing more.

The PSone, n64 and DreamCast triolgy was the pinnacle of gameplay for me and innovation. Nothing will top it and the face that I still play all three (and my SNES and MD) now more then anything bar my PSP just shows you how little the new consoles truely mean in the scheme of things.

But then thats just me.

I think you're seeing things through rose-tinted glasses somewhat. Franchised dreck has been around since at least the SNES and MD days, and games considered world-beating at the time like Goldeneye have been far, far surpassed by the likes of Halo and even middling FPSs like Call Of Duty. Zelda and Mario 64 have been steadily improved on since (Nintendo are as guilty of wheeling out the same old stuff with minor graphical and gameplay tweaks than anyone, however good it is). Just because they were 'the first' doesn't necessarily make them the best.

Guest Clarkey

So the Megadrive, SNES and Turbografix weren't the 'Next Gen' on from the NES, Master System and Atari 7800? The Atari 5200 wasn't the 'Next Gen' compared to the Intellivision?

The innovation for most console based FPS came either from Doom (the grand daddy of the all) and built upon by the likes of Golden Eye and Perfect Dark and Quake on the PC...

Call of Duty, Halo, FEAR, Far Cry etc all owe these games a massive debt.

Plus when I play them I always think about what has already been before in a game as if I am going to spend money on something I want it to do something that no other has done before, no matter how small.

And whilst franchises did exist such as Super Mario, Road Rash, Sonic, Metroid etc the fact is it is no way as rampant as it is now.

For instance PES, FIFA, Quake, Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Fight Night, NFL, NHL, NBA, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, oh god I could go on and on.

At least Zelda tried something new with each installment on each console and also Mario and Sonic but the fact is most franchises now-a-days are boring and stagnant.

Oh look it's December, time for FIFA, FM2008, Smackdown etc.

What I love the most is the innovation you saw right at the beginning of these series on the old consoles, the feeling of the beginning and how this game changed how we play.

Thats the sort of buzz the majority of pre-PS2 games give, only few on the X-Box and PS2 managed to innovate to the levels people did with the n64, DC, PSone, MegaDrive and SNES and their ancestors.

That my feeling on it.

Guest Chriscare

i wouldn't say the PS2 wasn't innovative, it was, far more than the n64 ever was

Guitar hero

Rez

Okami

GTA 3

Shadow of the Colussus

Sing Star

Eye Toy

Stuntman

Resident Evil 4

Devil May Cry

to name a few

i wouldn't say the PS2 wasn't innovative, it was, far more than the n64 ever was

Not trying to start a fan boy war here, but this is a joke, right?

How about analogue joypads? Controller rumble? The fact that Super Mario 64 is so innovative and is pretty much still the template for all platform games?

The only thing on your list which is even remotely innovative is the Eye Toy. And whilst it's kinda clever, it's crap. People would rather play using analogue sticks, than with a camera that is unresponsive.

Guest Clarkey
I think the prime problem is that people whom claim about a lack of innovation in the industry, and how everything is the same; are not changing thier own buying habits and attempting to play the new things that are out there. There is plenty of innovation in the industry as a whole, but with the industry growing to such an extent it is far out weighed with what sells, just like the movie industry. But rather than complain about the next installment of PotC, you could easily put yourself out a bit and get a DVD of Pan's Labyrinth (no idea if it is out so probably a crappy example). Basically, what irritates me is that the people who make these complaints are the same people that go out and buy the same titles, from the same franchises. If the people making the complaints were to go out and buy the titles like Katamari, instead of the 'same old franchises', then the industry would have to take note.

Guest Marshall Mac D

ah my xbox 360 been brilliant no problems im one of the lucky one's.

the 360 for me has everything i want brillaint online play brilliant games with devil may cry and gta 4 coming i rate the 360 and ps3 just the same mostly same game's same graphics. for me im sticking by my 360 all the way it does top job and the ps3 for me is overated yes its good but not worth all that money when 360 has the same graphics and game's.

Guest Jaycey Baby
The only thing on your list which is even remotely innovative is the Eye Toy.

Don't really agree with Chris that the PS2 was more innovative as a console but you can't say the games he mentioned weren't innovative. The PS2 easily has the most diverse selection of games out there.

And whilst franchises did exist such as Super Mario, Road Rash, Sonic, Metroid etc the fact is it is no way as rampant as it is now.

For instance PES, FIFA, Quake, Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Fight Night, NFL, NHL, NBA, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, oh god I could go on and on.

At least Zelda tried something new with each installment on each console and also Mario and Sonic but the fact is most franchises now-a-days are boring and stagnant.

Oh look it's December, time for FIFA, FM2008, Smackdown etc.

Most of those franchises produce consistently great games, though, it'd be a crying shame if we never saw sequels. Sports games are justified in bringing out annual updates I think, who wants to play Football Manager with years-old teams? Zelda's a bad example - it's almost sacrilege to say anything bad about them, but playing any of them since Ocarina is just going through the motions you learned in the last one. The familiarity is one of the reasons they're so beloved, but it's hardly new and shocking. The main problem is lazy film cash-ins.

Guest Chriscare
Not trying to start a fan boy war here, but this is a joke, right?

How about analogue joypads? Controller rumble? The fact that Super Mario 64 is so innovative and is pretty much still the template for all platform games?

The only thing on your list which is even remotely innovative is the Eye Toy. And whilst it's kinda clever, it's crap. People would rather play using analogue sticks, than with a camera that is unresponsive.

i still believe the rumble feature is the stupidest feautre ever evented.

Everything on the list is innovative, without Devil May Cry we wouldn't have had God of War or Ninja Gadien, GTA 3 is now the temple of all games of that genere, it took opened up the typical narrative of a game and changed it complely. How on earth can you not consider guitar hero or resident evil four innovative?

How about the fact that without Playstion 2 you'd probably still be watching things in VHS, Playstation 2 was what took DVD's into the main stream so quickly, the same thing the industry is hoping the PS3 will do with blu-rays.

There's no fan boyism to it, if you read what i said i don't play my PS3 and haven't owned a playstion 2 in years, but you still can't deny the fact that it is one of, if not the most innovative consoles ever made.

Sure, it probably doesn't have the as high ratio of innovative stuff to none innovative stuff because its got such a huge catalogue, but the innovation is there.

Guest MojoPogo
This perhaps sums up best how i feel about "next gen" gaming at the moment. I just bought a nintendo DS with Final Fantasy 3 and Lunar Knights. Nuff said.

Guest Chriscare

Just got Mario Strikers charged on the Wii. It's great, good improvement over it's predossesor. Still gone straight back to Wii sports though.

How anyone can not like next gen gaming at all when the wii exists is beyond me

i still believe the rumble feature is the stupidest feautre ever evented.

Everything on the list is innovative, without Devil May Cry we wouldn't have had God of War or Ninja Gadien, GTA 3 is now the temple of all games of that genere, it took opened up the typical narrative of a game and changed it complely. How on earth can you not consider guitar hero or resident evil four innovative?

How about the fact that without Playstion 2 you'd probably still be watching things in VHS, Playstation 2 was what took DVD's into the main stream so quickly, the same thing the industry is hoping the PS3 will do with blu-rays.

There's no fan boyism to it, if you read what i said i don't play my PS3 and haven't owned a playstion 2 in years, but you still can't deny the fact that it is one of, if not the most innovative consoles ever made.

Sure, it probably doesn't have the as high ratio of innovative stuff to none innovative stuff because its got such a huge catalogue, but the innovation is there.

I do understand there was no fanboyism on your part, I was just letting it be known that I disagreed with your post for reasons other than fanboyism on my part.

Devil May Cry & GTA owe alot to Mario 64...and also to the analogue stick. Resident Evil 4 was a Gamecube exclusive for nearly 12 months before it was on the PS2. It looked better on the Gamecube and played better. It's a great game, but giving credit to the PS2 for innovating it, is laughable.

I've never ever watched a DVD on a console. I had a DVD player long before I had a PS2. I'd bet my house, I'm not the only one. I completely disagree that DVD's wouldn't now be the standard format for films/shows/whatever if it wasn't for the PS2.

I don't disagree with there being lots of innovative games on the PS2, I disagree that the PS2 was more innovative than the N64, particularly the analogue stick and SM64.

Guest Chriscare

Before the PS2 came out DVD players cost a fortune. It wasn't until they came out that they were forced to severly drop their price because for the same price people could get a DVD player and a console. So whether or not people played dvd's on them, which alot of people did and stil do, they were directly responsibly for the speed at which DVD's became accepted into the market.

What exactly does GTA and Devil May Cry owe to Maro 64? You talk as if Mario 64 was the first 3d game, it wasn't, it was just the first great one. The concept of GTA was already about, on the playstation 2 they made it 3d and made the narrative pretty much user based. What exactly did mario 64 attribute to that? And again with Devil May cry, what influences could that have possibly gained from mario 64, if anything the original resident evil is the obvious influence.

I fail to believe that Mario 64, Golden Eye and the Analogue stick can compare to the innovation of games out there on the PS2