Fan Clubs

Pitch Your Most Bizarre Videogame To Movie Concepts

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

This story came up today in the Guardian Games Blog:

Yes, Variety reports that Fox has picked up the movie rights to EA's The Sims. Ah, you're thinking, a feature-length mainstream machinima using character models and environments from the game in a witty analysis of society both virtual and physical? Er, no. A live action movie. A live action movie on a game that seeks to replicate real-life. Either someone at Fox has been reading Plato and want's to make a statement about the nature of reality, or they've just gone "well, people like The Sims so let's get the rights and 'worry' about the logistics later..."

Sims Studio head Rod Humble is quoted as saying, "The SIMS has done an interactive version of an old story, which is what it's like to have infinite power and how do you deal with it". This suggests the movie will be looking at the player's role, rather than simply representing a Sims environment. Which would just be a sort of soap opera, but with characters liable to wet themselves and blow-up their microwaves.

So, friday question: which game - other than Sims - would make the most bizarre choice for a movie conversion?

So to stealing Keith Stuart's own question, what would be yours? I'm thinking Tetris, Jet Set Willy, Pong, Power Diggerz?

The story also reminded me of Mega64.

Guest Chriscare

Geometry Wars

'Eat laser my little 2d geometric shaped enemies'

or Pong

'Oh god no! that ball is coming to destroy earth, i must use all my energy...and save....the....world. Got it! Oh no it's coming back!'

Guest Anime Otaku
Rumble Roses (R18)

been done in Japan kinda, the women were dressed like the roses... for a few minutes at least...

Ummm, what about Tetris: the movie.

Guest MojoPogo
You better not be implying that casting an Englishman and a Mexican as two Italian brothers was not inspired.

Me? Never. Not once in my whole time here have i employed sarchasm as a tool to impart humour. I may have told the odd porkie though.....:devil

Guest Jaycey Baby
The creators of the Mario movie missed a golden opportunity to cast Manuel from Fawlty Towers in the lead role. If they could get Bob Hoskins they could've got him!

Guest MojoPogo
Bubble Bobble, featuring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as Bub & Bob

Well I'd vote for it! As long as they kept the ace music, im a happy bunny. :xyx

Guest Twig
Bubble Bobble, featuring Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as Bub & Bob

Holy crap! That was the first video game I ever finished. My brother Dave and I rocked the crap out of that game!