Fan Clubs

Best Multiplayer FPS of the moment?

Omega

Simple really, whats the best FPS for Multiplayer action out at the moment? Not based on graphics or whats the latest release but on pure playability and community support/size.

I'm still addicted to wolf:ET and play it quite a lot but the community around it is dieing off to a certain extent and so there are less and less servers around that have players on and half of those are chock full of bots to make up the numbers.

What would be your recomendations for non-graphics heavy FPS's?

Guest Anime Otaku
Call of Duty 3 is good, Counterstrike is okay too. Shadowrun is meant to be good but it's got teething problems trying to connect on XBL probably due in part to the cross platform connectivity.

Same with W:ET, but if you roll back the patches there are lots of servers paying off of older version of the game! I'm thinking of giving UT:2004 a go as it seems like it'll run off of my ageing rig nicely enough.

Is Counterstrike particularly GPU heavy?

Guest Kanenite
It's never too hard to find a game of Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament 2004.

Agreed, i've got CSS and we all play UT at school in lessons where we can't give a toss.

Guest Jaycey Baby
Is Counterstrike particularly GPU heavy?

I think most Counter Strike players have moved on to CS : Source which is the Half-Life 2 engine update of CS. My five year-old PC runs it at a fair whack (1.8GHz, 512Mb RAM, GeForce 4 Ti).

I think most Counter Strike players have moved on to CS : Source which is the Half-Life 2 engine update of CS. My five year-old PC runs it at a fair whack (1.8GHz, 512Mb RAM, GeForce 4 Ti).

So a P4 2.9GHz, 1Gb ram and G-force 5200le 128Mb shoud be ok then?

Guest Jaycey Baby
So a P4 2.9GHz, 1Gb ram and G-force 5200le 128Mb shoud be ok then?

Easily. CS is a notoriously difficult game to get into, though. Newbies tend to get made mincemeat out of even if they've a lot of FPS experience, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not too patient.

ordered a dirt cheap copy of UT:2004 to keep me going and then I might check out CS if I'm dissapointed by UT. I'm worried that given that I'm used to FPS with real world weapons from ET that UT will be really odd to play....

Guest Reno
ordered a dirt cheap copy of UT:2004 to keep me going and then I might check out CS if I'm dissapointed by UT. I'm worried that given that I'm used to FPS with real world weapons from ET that UT will be really odd to play....

I prefer UT to ET, as much as I loved ET I played UT more. I guess if you're looking for a complete fragfest of a game UT is defintly one to play. Single Player isn't too bad but it's all about the multiplayer.

If all else fails... Halo for Pc. :xyx

Guest Slim Jim

Buy one of the Half-Life 2 packages on Steam (click... buy... downloads so you can play straight away) and it has loads of games included. Half Life 2 for the best single player experience out there (I'm now playing through the Episode One expansion which is even more beautiful), HL2 Deathmatch and CS:Source for some of the best multiplayer. Both Deatmatch and Counter Strike use the same engine, but are so different you're bound to like one.

Also the source engine can run some great graphics on not so great video cards AND the games are dirt cheap.

ALLLSSOOO there are loads of mods for the games including HL2:Capture the Flag (greatness) and Goldeneye: Source (The multiplayer part of Goldeneye on N64 but with source graphics and huge numbers of players online).

Got my copy of the UT anthology and have a problem installing it I get this error about a 3rd of the way through the UT:2004 ECE install....

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9392/errorul5.jpg

Any ideas guys? Have read that perhaps disabling anti-virus whilst installing might help....

Guest Jaycey Baby
Omega, you can get CRC errors from a dodgy disk, but come to think of it, I've had them while trying to install UT2004 before so it might be a software thing. I don't think I ever managed to get round the problem, searching the official forums for similar problems might be your best bet.

Normaly I'd edit my posts but since this solves what seems a fairly common error with game installs I'll do a new post.

If you get a CRC (cyclic redundancy check) error then then first step I'd suggest is to copy the CD/DVD's contents to your hard drive and then run the setup program from there. This solved my problem.

CRC is an anti-priacy device thing but sometimes systems just seem to get over zealous and kill an installation!