Fan Clubs

Stuff The Critics

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

Gamesradar has put together a nice article which looks at ten video game titles that critics scored relatively low, but despite this, gamers still gathered them in there masses. Kicking off the list is Spiderman 3, which despite having an average review score of around a mere 58%, it hasn't stopped it from selling in it's droves. However, number one spot is occupied by Enter The Matrix, desipite an average score of 62% percent, the title has managed to sell over 3.2 million copies.

Now I guess it depends on your stance, as frankly the only reveiwer I listen to is myself; but it is always nice to see the critics pan titles only to see them sell millions. Also there is a sick irony in a god awful game being adored by the public. Of course theres the catch 22, where by a brilliant game gets woeful sales while an admittedly awful game by the same developer sells well. An example being Psychonauts, which was shamefully ignored by the public; where by Jaws Unleashed from the same publisher sold pretty well despite being a broken, awful Ecco The Dolphin come GTA Clone.

So essentially the point of the thread (we got there in the end); any titles you have purchased despite them being roundly slaughtered by all parties and actually enjoyed? Any titles you wish you had never purchased, on a spur of a moment shopping trip? And of course, any titles you have actually purchased on the basis of a good review, only to discover you dislike it?

Guest Slim Jim
Well after watching Spiderman 3, and thinking it was crap, I still wanted to do some webslinging so I "obtained" the PC version of the game. The critics were right and I didn't need to feel bad about "obtaining" it for very long before it was uninstalled.

Guest Anime Otaku

Both Rumble Roses games were panned for being a bit lightweight compared with the WWE games and little more than eye candy which is fair but I enjoyed them both with the simpler controls, though XX's unlocking system sucked.

Conversely GRAWgot 90's everywhere but it is a bit of a chore to play.

Edited by Anime Otaku

Guest Wolverine
Any titles you wish you had never purchased, on a spur of a moment shopping trip?

Far too many to mention. It's far too easy to walk into GAME just planning to have a look at what's coming out and ending up walking out with three or four games. The main one that's sticking in my head is the Getaway. Awful game. The driving sections were so frustrating (the police chase you for everything, from driving on the wrong side of the road to not stopping at traffic lights), the on-foot sections were even worse and the story was a bit crap too. I got it at the same time as Vice City, which didn't help because it's approximately 395 million times better than the Getaway. Ended up quitting out of frustration afer a week, though I went back and finished it a few months later.

And of course, any titles you have actually purchased on the basis of a good review, only to discover you dislike it?

Yep. I found Devil May Cry to be quite disappointing, despite everyone else seeming to adore it. Same with the Prince of Persia games. My brother loves them, but I've never gotten the appeal. Then there's series such as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Tekken which are highly-rated but they just seem to be button-mashing to me. And every FPS I've played that's not named Goldeneye has been quite disappointing too. Just not my type of game, really.

Of course, there's some great games which I'd never have tried if I hadn't read positive reviews for it (Fahrenheit, Dragon Quest, etc), so it works the other way as well. I'd probably have still been stuck playing FIFA to this day if people hadn't told me how great Pro Evo was.

Guest MojoPogo
Earth Defence Force 2017. Didnt see one review above 80%, but i loved it. Its one of the best co-op games going due to the amount of destruction involved....

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End on the 360 didn't really get above average scores, but I've enjoyed it immensely. The combat isn't wonderful, but it works. The graphics are glorious, mind.

Bullet Witch was pretty good aswell as the new TMNT game.

Excite Truck on the Wii got some very middle-of-the-road reviews (68% on Gamespot, 60% on Gamespy, 75% on EGM) and I bought because it was the only reasonably priced second-hand game in Gamestation the other day - I refure to pay £35 for a pre-owned title. It's fantastic! I've owned Wii Sports, Red Steel, Monkey Ball and Call of Duty 3 on the Wii and I've traded them all back in apart from Sports as they're just not that good. Excite Truck gives me hope for my chosen platform.

Guest MojoPogo
Also, i really like Bloodrayne 2. It has some control issues, but once you get used to it, its got an ace story, and its gorier than a meeting between Slipknot fans and chavs.....