Fan Clubs

Would you purchase a 'No Frills' Games Console?

Guest Clarkey

Would you buy a 'no frills' console?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a 'no frills' console?

• Yes, of course (provided that the games were good)
    • No! I like to consolidate all of my entertainment into one package

Guest Clarkey

From G4, not really sure if it is stating the obvious or not as it's different strokes for different folks, but apparantly very few gamers watch movies on their consoles:

If you do, you're in the minority: According to research by The Diffusion Group, only 13 percent of gamers watch movies on their systems, and only 30 percent even know they can. That's some ignorance about your game system.

The report concludes: “Today’s next-generation games consoles such as the Xbox 360 or Sony PS3 are true digital multimedia powerhouses. Yet very few of these devices are connected to the Internet and, even though these same platforms may feature a high-definition DVD playback system, very few consumers are using them for non-gaming media applications."

So on the back of this probably fruitless overpaid research (statistics are what you make of them of course), rather than simply ask the bland and dull question of 'do you watch movies upon your consoles' I thought it would be more fun to introduce a slightly different scenario. What if there was a return of consoles that ONLY played games; no movies, no MP3s, no web surfing, no internet downloads, etc. The return of pure gaming consoles of the golden age (well depending on your opinion obviously). Would you embrace it, or do you prefer the new world idea of companies like Sony and MS trying to consolidate all of your entertainment resources into one package?

I must admit I loved it when the older consoles came out, and were made for the sole purpose of playing games and it is why I will forever return to my MD, SNES, etc. More developers focused all their energy into making the best games they could, resulting in a competitive atmosphere that wasn't just to see who could create the ultimate set-top box.

But, I also adore the options offered to me by this generation and the last few, where by my console is not just purely a console, but a Swiss Army Knife of utilities that compliment the gaming. It is just that distraction as is seen by the Wii in particular, where by tacked on Wiimote controls from rubbish ports are almost the norm, bar the cream of the crop. Back in the day of yesteryore there was none of this distraction, just simple focus upon the gameplay (the likes of the Virtua Boy could be named alongside the Wii). I love the Wii though, so thats where I am caught up here. I love online console gaming from back to the Dreamcast, right through to XBox Live. So personally, while I would embrace a 'no frills' console, if I was honest I think I would be swayed to the Swiss Army Knife console.

The concept of the XBox 360 Core would have been much more interesting if it was a stripped down console (but with the missing hard drive), purely designed to only allow just gameplay. I think it is an idea that the companies could explore, to offer a true cheaper option for everyone to embrace the market and offer a pure games console for those that want it. But importantly, how many would want it? So before I rag on and on, your views?

Guest LUKE

I like the that my PS3 can play Blu-ray discs ,but only because I'll get to play Blu-ray games which are going to be huge and make games like MGS4 amazing.

Edit- Come to think of it the PS3 is a really good DVD player,(It f**king should be at £425) and the only thing I watch DVD's on.

Edited by LUKE

Guest The Great Ahmar
I just want to play games. I couldn't cope with the noise of watching a DVD on a console.

Its actually really quiet.

Guest Al Stevens
I would rather have everything put into one nice little box so if your moving house or something you can hook it up and then you have either your CD collection or a DVD player ready.

Guest Andrew

I'm with Mr. Nut on this one I've got so used to the extra features of these next generation consoles it would be crap to go back. I use the DVD features of my 360 anytime I want to watch a DVD. I stream my music off my PC through my 360 either that or I stream it off my iPod if my PC is off. I also like that fact you can stream video off your PC to the 360 and watch stuff on a big screen instead of a small PC monitor.

Microsoft and Sony are fighting not for you to have their console under your TV they are fighting to have their Multimedia Entertainment box under your TV and I really like it this way. Everything you need in one box. Perfect.

Guest Andrew
Only games for me on my 360.

The noise of the 360 would drove me mad trying to watch a movie or listen to music.

You see I can't say I notice the sounds of the fans in either of those situations especially when you're listening to music because the fans aren't even on.

You see I can't say I notice the sounds of the fans in either of those situations especially when you're listening to music because the fans aren't even on.

My Xbox is so noisy,it's annoying at times.

Guest Chriscare

I did find the fact that you watch things in fast forwards on my PS3 (so you hear people talking dead fast) highly amusing, but i seem to have DVD players coming out of my arse, Dvd recorder, DVd player, DVD playback on my laptop, my pc, xbox, ps3, 360.

I'm sure i'd cope without it for a console, and as exciting as Blu-ray DVD playback and HD-DVD is, without a HD TV it's not a lot of good, and if you can afford one of them, you could probably afford a player too.

Guest Anime Otaku
I use my Wii to browse the net and use my 360 for DVDs as well as games as I ran out of plugs and Scart sockets when I got my Wii. Despite that I dunno if I would be put off a no frills machine, I did enjoy my Gamecube, the reason I traded it in was down to poor 3rd party support not lack of features, I would say including DVD playback is almost a required feature but then the Wii doesn't have it which is probably part of it's success as Ninty kept costs and therefore prices down as they realised most people have DVD players anyway in some form.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive another of my threads, but I found this article from a Games Developer magazine off of another forum and thought it would add an interesting aspect to this discussion, even despite it dying a death a while ago. It pretty much add's to the quote I started the thread with. Have a gander:

Console Ignorance

Consumers often unaware of hardware features

A new NPD group study analyzing attitudes, usage and purchase intent of next-gen gaming systems has found "significant gaps' in user awareness of functional features outside of video game play, with the results "more pronounced" on some systems than others.

The report, titled "Next Gen Functionality & Usage," revealed that marketing efforts intend to educate consumers about console functionality that extends beyond gaming appear to be hit-or-miss in their efficacy. For example, the study showed that Playstation 3 owners download additional content as often as do owners of Xbox 360s - but the majority of PS3 owners are unaware that it's even possible.

The study also measured backward compatibility - 71 percent of PS3 owners and likely purchasers rated backward compatibility as the most important PS3 function, but only 31 percent are aware that that functionality even exists on the system.

The same kinds of trends, says the study, can also be seen in different areas [varying by system] such as ability to link to portable systems and internet connection via gaming device.

Other study findings showed that the Wii's motion-sensing controls are rated as the most important feature, indicating high awareness ratings - but that Wii owners are also interested in more "basic" features like the Internet connectivity and backwards compatibility with the GameCube, demonstrating that to some users new features act as supplements, rather than replacements, to older ones.

The survey also analyzed user awareness surrounding portable systems, and found that current owners and likely purchasers of PSPs are most aware [52 percent] that they can watch movies and videos. Music playback and photo viewing are in second and third place at 49 and 43 percent, respectively. As for DS users and likely purchasers, 57 percent are aware there is a touch-screen, 53 percent know about the dual-screen, and 49 percent are aware of stylus function.

Other functions, the study said, are also favored one system over another; it says DS users are more likely to play wirelessly with friends than PSP users, and 360 users are more likely to play online with friends than PS3 users.

I pretty much have expressed most of my own points already, so don't really want to bore you all by retreading them. But I think the idea of a no frills, pure gaming console for those that want it and aimed at those both not interested in the extra features, or would not know how to utilise them (thinking mainly parents whom buy for their young children here) would still be an interesting prospect. But it is touch and go.

As for DS users and likely purchasers, 57 percent are aware there is a touch-screen, 53 percent know about the dual-screen, and 49 percent are aware of stylus function.
I seriously hope the percentages who don't know these facts are potential buyers and not those who already own a DS. Imagine how daft you'd need to be to own a DS and not know it had two screens.

That's mean!

I guess a no frills consoe, would be a good backup console. Right now, we mainly watch video's. If we need to watch a DVD, we use PS3. Before the PS3, we used the PS2.

I don't use the MP3 player or CD functions. Mainly because my Hi fi and mp3 player speakers kick out a better sound than my TV.

I still use my PSone too take into hospital, as it's nice and cheap too replace if it gets nicked or broke. Although, I also still take in my laptop to watch DVD's on. Which kind of spoils the point in taking a cheap gams console anyway:P

If they could do a mega console, with PS3 graphic quality, that just played normal DVD's and games, I'd be just as happy as I am now.