Fan Clubs Community

Games that enlighted you to an unexpected genre

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

I assume it has happened to everyone, but I will kindly leave it open, but has there been a game in the past that you tried that sat within a genre you never fancied/liked/tried, and ending up adoring? And in turn did this encourage you to go on to embrace more games in that genre?

I have never really been interested in RTS games. I think it could possibly be channeled back to my youth, when my father traded in my copy of Moonwalker on the MD for Centurion. Not only did I adore Moonwalker at the time, I just really did not understand Centurion and it left me very miffed that I was missing out on my Smooth Criminal fun. It wasn't until the Playstation came along and I happened to pick up a demo disc with C&C Red Alert upon that I really gave the RTS genre another shot, and had a whale of a time leading to purchasing the game. While I haven't really gone on to purchase a stream of RTS games, I do take the odd gander at the genre without the instant 'yuck' feeling.

So while I am sitting here at blanks, I'm interested to hear your tales.

Guest Marshall Mac D
Seriously it was Halo for me ive never been into sci fi game's all the one's i tried in the past were rubbish and put me off them as boring. when halo was lauched for the xbox my mate's said its a good game you gotta play it i said no thank's not into sci fi. when halo 2 came out i got it given to me as a present i looked at it and though't yeah might aswell try i was loving it i got hooked everyday with it i was confused for abit then i found the storyline to make it all clear i bought halo 1 so i now what the story is all about .

I bloody hated platformers. I found them repetitive and frustrating and given my short temper when it comes to games they were the most unsatisfying genre I ever played. That was until ICO, damn what a game. Still get shivers thinking about it. What part? Thats the point, there was no real divisions, it was one big long level where the jumping bits werent annoying because you actually cared about the characters. Fantasic game. Needless to say I got Shadow of the Collosus as soon as it came out.

Beyond Good & Evil was in a genre I wasn't keen on (platformy-RPG), but the game is amazing. If you haven't played it, you should be able to pick up a second-hand copy for around £5.

Guest MojoPogo
I remember playing Midwinter on the Amiga and thinking, "this is what games should be like", after experiencing its free roaming, multi stranded charms, and back then i was of the opinion that 3D games were cack, it opened my eyes.

Guest frednut
Splinter Cell for me. Wasn't really a fan of hide, wait and kill stealth games, hated mgs as i just found it boring, but this was something else. A real gem that had some fantastic gameplay and a great story to it. Got me hooked on stealth games and Splinter Cell soon became one of my favourite games.

Guest Twig
Splinter Cell for me. Wasn't really a fan of hide, wait and kill stealth games, hated mgs as i just found it boring, but this was something else. A real gem that had some fantastic gameplay and a great story to it. Got me hooked on stealth games and Splinter Cell soon became one of my favourite games.

Is there a ninja based hide, wait and kill stealth game? I'd be all about that... if I had a system.

Guest frednut
aye i think there is. I pretty sure that Tenchu series is based all around ninja's but i've never played it so can't comment on it.

Beyond Good & Evil was in a genre I wasn't keen on (platformy-RPG), but the game is amazing. If you haven't played it, you should be able to pick up a second-hand copy for around £5.

Damn straight. If a game is really truly good, one should be able to look past its specific genre and apprciate the overall content of what the game presents, BG&E does that.

Oh I just remembered the Broken Sword series. Highly recommended if you liked Fahrenheit.

Guest Andrew

Same for me Fred, It was my dad who brought round a copy of Splinter Cell for me to try out when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. So went out bought a copy and haven't looked back since. Infact I think the Original Splinter Cell was probabaly the first game I'd gone through and completed in years because I was that hooked. Great game, great series.

Goldeneye got me in to the first person shooter genre and what a game that was followed by the original Perfect Dark. Man I miss the RARE of old. Hopefully they can hit gold with Banjo - Threeie!

Guest Twig
I played a text based adventure game of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on my family's computer that was as old as myself. And it was the first of a few text based games that I ran thru on the best PC to come out of 1985.

Damn straight. If a game is really truly good, one should be able to look past its specific genre and apprciate the overall content of what the game presents, BG&E does that.

Oh I just remembered the Broken Sword series. Highly recommended if you liked Fahrenheit.

I've only played Broken Sword 3, but it is truly awesome. No guns, no "action" parts, just a damn great game that makes you use your head more than your reflexes.

I played a text based adventure game of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy on my family's computer that was as old as myself. And it was the first of a few text based games that I ran thru on the best PC to come out of 1985.

Were they the games that required you to type in what you wanted to do? Brilliant, but so very, very flawed....

"Look at Map"

I do not know the verb to look

"**** off"

I do not know the verb to ****.

Were they the games that required you to type in what you wanted to do? Brilliant, but so very, very flawed....

"Look at Map"

"**** off"

Or you get something like this...

"Ask the wizard a question."

What should I do?

"I do not understand the question. Ask me a different question."

Where should I go?

And on and on and on and on....

Guest Twig

"Look at Map"

"**** off"

Or you get something like this...

"Ask the wizard a question."

What should I do?

Where should I go?

And on and on and on and on....

Exactly the ones! Really helped you improve your spelling, grammar and pucntuation... but fighting giant ogres in deep mountain tunnels was fun.

RUn

I don't know "RUn"

the Ogre crushes your torso with a mighty swing of his heavy wodden club.

:(

Zork was the best.

Hell yeah! I had that on a floppy disk with some real flop to it! :lol

Guest MojoPogo

Hell yeah! I had that on a floppy disk with some real flop to it! :lol

Sorry to hear that, but theres drugs for that you know!!! :devil

Predictable yes, but it had to be said.

I remember playing the original Syndicate and being switched on to tactical game as well. That was an awesome game. And even now its still really enjoyable, if a tad on the basic side graphically, but that only shows the progress made in terms of technology. I'd also say Syndicate deserves another sequel. Team Syndicate anyone?

Guest ahsatan
Exactly the ones! Really helped you improve your spelling

That a good thing. :)

grammar and pucntuation

Oh.

the Ogre crushes your torso with a mighty swing of his heavy wodden club.

Oh.

;)