Fan Clubs

Edge Top 100 Games - '07 Edition

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

It hit the shops today. I haven't picked up a copy or had a gander myself, but it is apparantly priced at a hefty 10 quid. Here's the fun and joyful press release:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time has been named the world's best videogame by influential multi-format videogame magazine, Edge.

Compiled from thousands of votes from Edge readers, nominations were made for hundreds of games, spanning across the last three decades. The voting process also involved creatives working in the videogame industry, and countless rounds of deliberation among the Edge editorial staff.

Tony Mott, Editor-in-Chief of Edge, said: "Ocarina of Time is nearly ten years old, but its position at the top slot in Edge's 100 Best Videogames shows that great game design does not age. In visual terms, it obviously cannot compete with today's Xbox 360 and PS3 productions, but, as with many classics, its appeal is about so much more than its appearance."

James Binns, Publishing Director of Edge, added: "The Edge team has created a gorgeous piece of work that is the definitive document of videogame excellence - although I am gutted that classic shooter Tempest 2000 didn't make the top ten."

Nintendo's game beat Capcom's survival horror title Resident Evil 4 to the top spot, closely followed in third place by Super Mario 64. Other games in the top ten include Xbox shooter Halo: Combat Evolved, PC title Half-Life 2, and puzzle favourite Tetris.

The 10 Best Videogames:

1) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)

2) Resident Evil 4 (GameCube, PlayStation 2)

3) Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

4) Half-Life 2 (PC)

5) Super Mario World (Super Nintendo)

6) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Super Nintendo)

7) Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

8) Final Fantasy XII (PlayStation 2)

9) Tetris (Various)

10) Super Metroid (Super Nintendo)

Just for comparisons sake, here is the top ten from 2000:

1. LOZ: Ocarina of Time

2. Super Mario 64

3. Goldeneye

4. Tetris

5. Gran Turismo 2

6. Quake II

7. LOZ: A Link to the Past

8. SFII: Turbo

9. Half-Life

10. Super Mario World

This year's No.10 was No.14 back in 2000 funnily enough. But yes, another top gaming list. There does seem to be a heavy Japanese bias in the top ten (mainly referring to FFXII here), that isn't indicative of the quality post-2000 just many caught up in the myth of Japan. That's not to say there hasn't been great games arising from Japan of course, just that there is not the amount of quality coming out from there that there was back in yesteryear; leading to the titles that have been released getting praised more than they would have when the market was more cramped with quality offerings. I don't think many would argue that the Japanese industry hasn't been weakening steadily for a good five or so years now. Then again, perhaps they would. It's a can of worms.

But yes exclusions, strange choices; it's all opinion. So I was pondering, would people be interested in conducting our own list? I was thinking a fairer representation could be to split it into two/three lists split into top so and so of that decade/period (eg 2000-present); or splitting it into genres. Just putting it out there.

Don't really know how Final Fantasy 12 made it there to be honest. I love the game but how it's better than VI, VII or IX..(hell even X at a stretch) I'll never know. Seems a bit of a dodgy list regardless; though it's only a magazine I guess.

Guest Reno
No Gears OF War:eek

The game isn't THAT good, to be honest. It's fun on multiplayer if you're playing with a good bunch of people (like you guys from TWO), but single player sucks arse.

The game isn't THAT good, to be honest. It's fun on multiplayer if you're playing with a good bunch of people (like you guys from TWO), but single player sucks arse.

I disagree.

I really enjoyed the single player game,but as a mulitplayer you can't get much better,surely that should count for something.

For Gods sake Zelda is so fricken overrated, bloody Nintendo fanboys. Thats an awful top 10.

:eek

Now, I'm probably a Sony fanboy and Gran Turismo and sports sim nut, but even I rocked Orchina of Time hardcore. I really do think it's the greatest game of all time with FF7 second.

However, I find it odd GT2 was there in 2000 and GT4, it's true sequel, isn't there.

But yeah, it is a crappy Top 10.

Every Top 10 without Contra and Street Fighter II is a crappy Top 10.

Guest frednut

However, I find it odd GT2 was there in 2000 and GT4, it's true sequel, isn't there.

I don't Public decided there where better games. Nowt odd about that.

For Gods sake Zelda is so fricken overrated, bloody Nintendo fanboys. Thats an awful top 10.

Nah, it's just a little under-rated. Judging by your post......

Anyhoo, Super Mario World is wayyyyy to low on the list.