Fan Clubs

Random News Update Thread 2007

Dead Crow

Some notes and news from the Wrestling Observer newsletter, courtesy of Something Awful...

- After Scott Armstrong called the unplanned DQ in the Burke/Cor Von vs Benoit/Punk match he went to the back and apologized, but was told by Vince and Malenko that he did the right thing. Heat fell on Burke and Cor Von for the illegal double team.

- Mickie took the pinfall on the 6/18 Raw despite doing local promotional work since the show was in her hometown. It stems from some incident involving John Cena. Meltzer doesn't know anything more than that it involved her punches and she has been told to only thow fore arms in the future.

- Ref Chad Patton was fined because he allowed the woman in the match to enter the ring without tags. It was felt this made him appear weak.

- Meltzer: "This is where it gets insane." On 6/19 wrestlers and refs were told that only one "save" will be allowed in tag matches for a nearfall. If wrestlers break up a pinfall or submission more than once without a tag a DQ should be called or they will be fined.

- Dave loved the 6-22 Smackdown saying it was better than the PPV.

- Vince won't even listen to discussion of giving Mysterio another title reign.

- NANCY and CHRIS BENOIT were SEPERATED, and had been since FEBRUARY. Chris had been living in an apartment in PEACHTREE, GA

NANCY was in SEVERE pain constantly since her neck surgery with noted "surgeon to the stars" DR. LLOYD YOUNGBLOOD earlier this year.

NANCY put a note in a safe deposit box that area police are believed to be aware of that said if anything happened to her, it was Chris who did it.

As noted previously, Chris Benoit’s was becoming more paranoid about being followed, getting a pay cut, and even losing his job, even though the general belief is that Benoit had a job for life in WWE, even after his wrestling days were over.

Benoit’s paranoia had resulted in him increasing and mixing steroids, pain killers, anti-depressants (Dr. Phil Astin had just prescribed him Zoloft on Friday, although it takes several weeks to start working), and high blood pressure medication.

People say Chris Benoit became a different person after Eddy Guerrero passed away. Nancy told friends that Benoit’s drug usage escalated badly after Guerrero died.

It became worse for Benoit after the death of neighbor Mike Durham (Johnny Grudge) and Victor “Black Cat” Mar, who was considered Benoit’s best friend in Japan. Benoit refused to attend Durham’s funeral and said he never wanted to return to church and hated religion.

According to a WWE source, Nancy was a described as a basket case on Thursday, the day before reports suggest Benoit killed his wife. Nancy was quite upset by the recent passing of her friend, Sherri Martel.

Also on Thursday, Shane Helms claims Benoit called him and checked up on him. Helms is recovering from neck surgery.

At one time, Benoit saw potential in Tough Enough winner Daniel Puder and offered to make him his personal protégé, but Benoit had found out that due to his $250,000 per contract, the WWE has going to cut him.

Benoit’s out of context “I love you” text message was likely sent to either Chavo Guerrero or Dean Malenko.

Believe it or not, Nancy’s parents live in the Daytona Beach condo that their daughter and husband Kevin Sullivan lived in for years.

- Samoa Joe was offered a three-year contract extension by TNA, but Joe didn't sign it.

- TNA plans to run all twelve pay-per-views in 2008 outside of Orlando, FL.

WWE seem to be going full board with this referee thing. It's an interesting concept but I can't see it lasting.

Also, good for Joe. I'm glad he didn't sign the contract. He should return to RoH. At least he'll be used correctly there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jimmy Redman
- Mickie took the pinfall on the 6/18 Raw despite doing local promotional work since the show was in her hometown. It stems from some incident involving John Cena. Meltzer doesn't know anything more than that it involved her punches and she has been told to only thow fore arms in the future.

You know what this means. Obviously Cena was trying to teach Mickie how to throw a punch.

Guest DanielFullard
Vince won't even listen to discussion of giving Mysterio another title reign

Although it probably is true this time round, dont forget Meltzer said the exact same thing up until the week before the Rumble when Rey got the title push.

Its a shame because Rey never got the chance to proove himself as a worthy champion in Vince's eyes.

Id certainly love to see an Edge v Rey feud for the title

Guest Dave7g
God I hope they can use Joe better than that, if indeed he never signs it, which he probably will soon. Joe would be the perfect guy to sign, he's leagues ahead of the WWE main event scene, and isn't a roided up musclehead.

I would have agreed with that a year ago, but about six months ago I started to go off Joe. Apart from the match he has with Christian Cage a few months ago (it was a PPV Main Event...), and the 30 Minute Iron Man Match with Kurt Angle (which was a bit of a let-down) I don't think he's had a good singles match all year. They've all been pretty same-ish. Having him defeated had to happen eventually, and it was a fairly big thing when Angle made him tap out, but since then it seems as if Joe only ever has a 50/50 chance of winning a match, if not less. I just don't see him as the unstoppable monster I once did.

Guest Jung
Joe's in a bit of a rut at the moment. He lost all his momentum when Russo booked him like a chump. So now he's in limbo. Needs something to get himself going really.

God I hope they can use Joe better than that, if indeed he never signs it, which he probably will soon. Joe would be the perfect guy to sign, he's leagues ahead of the WWE main event scene, and isn't a roided up musclehead.
I was joking. I actually agree with you. Bring in Joe as a serious threat (like Tazz was initially, but keep it going), run through everyone in the mid-card (like Goldberg should have) and then lead to a Joe v Umaga match down the road, with Joe going over. From there, it's up to Joe to impress.

Guest dpddave
If he was brought in he'd probabley be given a different name aswel like monty was. And i doubt they would use Joe any better in WWE either to be honest...

Guest The Great Ahmar
If he was brought in he'd probabley be given a different name aswel like monty was. And i doubt they would use Joe any better in WWE either to be honest...

Didn't everyone say that about Punk? Personally I want Joe in ROH again, maybe to finally face old man Misawa.

Guest dpddave
Didn't everyone say that about Punk? Personally I want Joe in ROH again, maybe to finally face old man Misawa.

Ye but im sure HHH and HBK etc. would see Joe as much more of a threat and politics would come in to play big time on Joe.

Guest Dave7g

Joe vs Misawa...

:eek

Guest SuperKick Kid

Joe in the WWE, think of the matches.

Joe vs Cena

Joe vs HBK

Joe vs Umaga

Joe vs Funaki

Guest MastersGonads
Ye but im sure HHH and HBK etc. would see Joe as much more of a threat and politics would come in to play big time on Joe.

I doubt 'politics' would come into play, People have this big idea that HBK and HHH have control over the future of every new star, which simply isnt true.

Like, any other star, they look out for themselves, but no doubt HHH has an eye on the future of the business as well, and what is good for the future..

Guest The Beltster
Joe should go on the Hogan tour and eat the legdrop every night, 1-2-thrizzee! Edited by The Beltster

Guest The Great Ahmar
Joe vs Misawa...

:eek

If Joe never left this year it was highly likey he'd have faced him next weekend in Japan.

Guest DanielFullard

Joe going to the WWE may be the best thing for him at the moment as like a few have said in here, things in TNA for him, and in general, are a bit stale at the moment and maybe Joe has seen that Punk isnt being used too badly and fancies the big bucks and chance on the big stage.

Then againg he could look at what they did so far to Monty and thats enough to put him off.