Flair v Hogan

DC

Flair or Hogan? PLEASE READ THE THREAD BEFORE VOTING  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Flair or Hogan? PLEASE READ THE THREAD BEFORE VOTING

• Hulk Hogan - "Yooooou!"
    • Ric Flair - "Woooooo!"

Take a poll Beltmark. If you got the balls. :devil
I can't be arsed reading your bullsh*t over and over. So here you go, money where your mouth is kind of a deal.

Now this poll isn't about who is the best technical wrestler out of the two, as that is a no-brainer. But technical wrestling does not a champion make (otherwise Charlie Hass, The Pug, Dean Malenko and countless others would be former World Champions), which Franchise seems to not understand.

No, this poll is to determine who the TWO forum members feel was the better CHAMPION in regards to big-time matches and situations, worldwide exposure and recognition DURING THE TIME THEY WERE IN THEIR PRIME AS CHAMPIONS of the WWF for Hogan and the NWA/WCW for Flair.

Flair, IMO, was overrated in his matches, but knew how to get along with a limited moveset. Hogan also had a limited moveset (in the US anyway), but his larger-than-life persona more than made up for it.

When Flair was NWA champion, it always (to me) seemed a distant second to the WWF champion. It seemed small-time and dour, with the WWF being vibrant and exciting.

IMO, Hulkamania walks all over an arena going "WOOOOOO!".

But what about you, who do you think was the better CHAMPION in promoting their company and themselves WORLDWIDE?

I hope this doesn't end up locked straight away, as I feel some good debate can come out of it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Al Stevens
I think personally if there wasn't the Hogan boom in the late 80's early 90's then hell Wrestling would never have been as mainstream as it is today.

Guest Gooneronastick

For me, that fact that Hogan wrestles when he wants to and Flair still has to wrestle to make ends meet, speaks volumes about who was more successful in promoting themselves and their company.

I preferred Flair over Hogan but you cannot doubt the Hulkster's market-ability.

Yeah Hogan is/was 10 times the star Flair ever was and could ever wish to be.

For every great match Flair had in a PPV main event, Hogan had half the match but twice the buyrate.

I mean even now if you ask anyone on the street to name a wrestler, the majority would answer Hulk Hogan. Its that universal appeal, that he's the guy who put wrestling on the mainstream map. There could be no Ric Flair in history and we'd be robbed of a brilliant wrestler, speaker and overall embodiment of a great wrestling performer. But we could have no Hulk Hogan in history and we probably wouldn't have this website, amongst no WWE, WCW or major worldwide wrestling in the manner it is today.

Just chalk and cheese really.

I dont really think i can vote in this thing because if we're judging it on the things the thread opener wants us to judge it on then whats the point because its actually fact that Hulk Hogan did more to put his company on the map worldwide and was a bigger star.

Having said that, i prefer Flair as a champion heel or face, not just in ring but i prefer his charachter to the hero character of Hogan.

But having also said that, i dont want to get dragged into the argument because i disagree with the way Franchise has gone on and on .. and i understand belty getting p*ssed off.

I believe im a fence sitter until further argument sways my judgement! Hope thats not too unpopular a choice.

Guest Al Stevens

Hey there is nothing wrong with sitting on the fence Joey. To be honest i would have been the same however i hated how Franchise would go bring Hogan into the topic when there was no need to get a rise out of Beltmark and then the very second he knows he is wrong he dances around the subject. I say Franchise for that ball room dancing show on BBC1 :lol

Anyway if i can get back on topic I will say this while you can understand what Hogan has done (weather you like the guy or not) and you can respect what Flair did for the NWA and the WCW as well in the past. Are they as good as each other yes, however while flair had the more titles and earned a bit but not enough to retire and only do spot shows. While Flair broke his back for the industry Hogan did enough to become a house hold name.

I dont really think i can vote in this thing because if we're judging it on the things the thread opener wants us to judge it on then whats the point because its actually fact that Hulk Hogan did more to put his company on the map worldwide and was a bigger star.

Having said that, i prefer Flair as a champion heel or face, not just in ring but i prefer his charachter to the hero character of Hogan.

But having also said that, i dont want to get dragged into the argument because i disagree with the way Franchise has gone on and on .. and i understand belty getting p*ssed off.

I believe im a fence sitter until further argument sways my judgement! Hope thats not too unpopular a choice.

Because no-one was arguing about their technical ability (as much as Franchise was commenting otherwise), the criteria set out in the first post is what Franchise was making a point about highlighting, so that's the criteria the voting involved.

Apparently I'm the only one to vote Flair. You see, I look at Hogan's main streamification of wrestling as champion being quite detrimental to the whole of wrestling, what with all the smirking at the fans with your guy in a headlock becoming more important than actually wrestling... but I think a lot differently since taking vast psychedelic journeys.

I can't be arsed reading your bullsh*t over and over. So here you go, money where your mouth is kind of a deal.

Now this poll isn't about who is the best technical wrestler out of the two, as that is a no-brainer. But technical wrestling does not a champion make (otherwise Charlie Hass, The Pug, Dean Malenko and countless others would be former World Champions), which Franchise seems to not understand.

No, this poll is to determine who the TWO forum members feel was the better CHAMPION in regards to big-time matches and situations, worldwide exposure and recognition DURING THE TIME THEY WERE IN THEIR PRIME AS CHAMPIONS of the WWF for Hogan and the NWA/WCW for Flair.

Flair, IMO, was overrated in his matches, but knew how to get along with a limited moveset. Hogan also had a limited moveset (in the US anyway), but his larger-than-life persona more than made up for it.

When Flair was NWA champion, it always (to me) seemed a distant second to the WWF champion. It seemed small-time and dour, with the WWF being vibrant and exciting.

IMO, Hulkamania walks all over an arena going "WOOOOOO!".

But what about you, who do you think was the better CHAMPION in promoting their company and themselves WORLDWIDE?

I hope this doesn't end up locked straight away, as I feel some good debate can come out of it.

Phrasing it like that, Hogan has to win. And, as I understand it, Flair's money problems aren't as a result of not making a huge amount of money, because he did. His problem is that he blew the whole lot.

I voted Flair as without him I would not be watching wresting today. Back in the late 70's early 80's Flair and Piper were the men. Flair was a great champion and most times put the local men over. To be honest I hated Hogan and did not watch his matches but Flairs I made a point of watching!

I liked Hogan in 2002 when he made his return but that was because I love the response he gets from the fans and love Real American rather than his wrestling prowess.

Hogan may have made more money and has more money but much of that is due to the fact that he has not got divorced or spent a small fortune. Flair would be fine if his three ex wives had not screwed him over!

I voted Flair as without him I would not be watching wresting today. Back in the late 70's early 80's Flair and Piper were the men. Flair was a great champion and most times put the local men over. To be honest I hated Hogan and did not watch his matches but Flairs I made a point of watching!

I liked Hogan in 2002 when he made his return but that was because I love the response he gets from the fans and love Real American rather than his wrestling prowess.

Hogan may have made more money and has more money but much of that is due to the fact that he has not got divorced or spent a small fortune. Flair would be fine if his three ex wives had not screwed him over!

To be honest though even if Flair hadn't been divorced once, Hogan would still have 10 times the fortune Flair has.

Guest DarkMatchJobber

In my opinion without Hulk Hogan the wrestling industry would still be stuck in the territorial system and there'd be no worldwide tv deals or merchandising.

Hogan put butts in seats and gave fans someone to believe in with his vitamins,prayers and never say die spirit,he was the closest thing to a superhero. (maybe I'm talking about when I was a Hulkamaniac as a kid)

Flair will always be considered the greatest pure wrestler to lace up his boots but as far as being the total package goes he lags behind the Hulkster.

In my opinion without Hulk Hogan the wrestling industry would still be stuck in the territorial system and there'd be no worldwide tv deals or merchandiside.

I think with or without the Hulkster the territorial system would have been wiped out mate, im not taking away what he did, and to carry it for so long was amazing but it wasnt all down to Hogan in that department.

Guest The Franchise

Uh-huh.

LMAO!

Well, Of course I am going with Ric Flair. Considering that most of the best matches Flair had happened back before half of VGR was still in diapers. But for me I prefer Flair as a better champion than Hogan because of alot of reasons:

One:Respect as a champion:Flair traveled to different federations defending the NWA title on a daily basis. When he traveled everyone acknowledged him as the NWA World champion. Not only did he defend it against the best in the sport but against their champions as well.

Two:Title defenses:Light heavyweights, super heavyweights,brawlers,technicians;etc. There is hardly anyone that Ric Flair hasnt faced in his career. Every top superstar that at one point in time over the last 20 years thats been a household name Flair has faced. Flair faced them all. The NWA was defended on a daily basis. Against all types of oppenents. Faces and Heels. Great American Bash Flair defended the title in every city the NWA was in. Not just on PPV's but on regular telecasts too.

Three:Wrestling: When you want to watch a great wrestling match you watch Ric Flair. Flair matched up with anybody. Nobody hardly outwrestled the Nature Boy.

Anybody under the age of 25 9 times out of 10 will go for Hogan because the WWE is what most of them knew. Most over the age of 30 thats seen Flair back in the Mid-Atlantic/Georgia Championship wrestling/NWA days will see Flair as the best. Its as simple as that. Commercially Hogan kills Flair. But on every other level Flair is above Hogan. But once again I find if funny that Hulk Hogan put the WWE on the map but yet the WWE proclaims Ric Flair as the greatest of all time. Imagine that.

Edited by The Franchise

Guest DarkMatchJobber
This is one of those debates that will never end but I'd say it would have been easier to break it down into categories than see who wins overall.

LMAO!

Well, Of course I am going with Ric Flair. Considering that most of the best matches Flair had happened back before half of VGR was still in diapers. But for me I prefer Flair as a better champion than Hogan because of alot of reasons:

One:Respect as a champion:Flair traveled to different federations defending the NWA title on a daily basis. When he traveled everyone acknowledged him as the NWA World champion. Not only did he defend it against the best in the sport but against their champions as well.

Two:Title defenses:Light heavyweights, super heavyweights,brawlers,technicians;etc. There is hardly anyone that Ric Flair hasnt faced in his career. Every top superstar that at one point in time over the last 20 years thats been a household name Flair has faced. Flair faced them all. The NWA was defended on a daily basis. Against all types of oppenents. Faces and Heels. Great American Bash Flair defended the title in every city the NWA was in. Not just on PPV's but on regular telecasts too.

Three:Wrestling: When you want to watch a great wrestling match you watch Ric Flair. Flair matched up with anybody. Nobody hardly outwrestled the Nature Boy.

Anybody under the age of 25 9 times out of 10 will go for Hogan because the WWE is what most of them knew. Most over the age of 30 thats seen Flair back in the Mid-Atlantic/Georgia Championship wrestling/NWA days will see Flair as the best. Its as simple as that. Commercially Hogan kills Flair. But on every other level Flair is above Hogan. But once again I find if funny that Hulk Hogan put the WWE on the map but yet the WWE proclaims Ric Flair as the greatest of all time. Imagine that.

But most people over 30 won't see Flair as a better champion, simply because he wasn't.

Your right commercially Hogan kills Flair. So isn't that what being a great champion is about? Making money, putting bums on seats, being a figurehead?

Flair had loads of great matches. Big deal so did Barry Windham but nobody says he's a great champion.

And your argument on title defences means absolutely nothing. Hogan faced a lot of guys too, brawlers, technical guys, big men, roided up muscleheads etc. Except Hogan did it in much bigger arenas in front of much bigger TV and PPV audiences.

And WWE say Flair is the greatest wrestler of all time.....which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Again you've totally bypassed the point.

You say Hogan batters Flair commercially, so how does that make Flair a better or more successful champion? It doesn't. Your champion, people pay to see you. If more people pay to see Hogan as champ, what does that tell you?