52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you bored with WWE

• Yes - I'm watching through habit mostly
    • Yes - but I see encouraging signs
    • No - It's fine as it is
    • No - but I never did really anyway
    • Yes- I'm no longer watching

Guest Da Showstoppa

Given the downward spiral the WWE has been in of late, due to several factors - are you fed up and jaded with WWE or do you really think it can be fixed? To be honest I feel like sometimes I'm watching WWE out of habit. I've decided to try and put balanced argument together and I'd appreciate feedback.

WWE sucks at the moment because;

1. There is no elevation of talent on WWE TV
  2. The 13 month title reign of John Cena was far too long
  3. The main event picture is made up of the same few guys
  4. Too much TV time is devoted to McMahon promos and pointless skits
  5. Injuries have really exposed the talent pool (or lack thereof)
  6. These cheap finishes by the refs ruin matches
  7. The really talented wrestlers aren't given time to get over
  8. Storylines are written by non wrestling people
  9. All Promos are scripted, Individual characters aren't allowed to come out through interviews
  10. Smackdown and Raw are so uneven it isn't funny
  11. The "Big men" seem to be ruling again - eg Khali

WWE does okay because;

1. The amount of thought in the 222 promos is brilliant
  2. The MVP V Matt angle on SD has been excellently built up
  3. Matt and MVP have been elevated
  4. Superstars will soon return - eg Edge
  5. The booking of Orton as heel is brilliant
  6. John Cena is not "The Champ" anymore and we get a break for a bit
  7. Jericho is supposed to be back soon
  8. Some of the older wrestlers are retiring
  9. OVW seems to be doing nicely
  10. International tours are selling well
  11. They would have the depth of talent if they gave them the chance to shine

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Great Ahmar
I found last year to be awful, I've enjoyed 2007 much more than I did last year I'd even say I've enjoyed this year more than I did the whole of 2005 and the second half of 2004. Edited by The Great Ahmar

Mainstream US wrestling bores me in general right now. ONly Punk keeps my interest in WWE, TNA has killed Joe while Cage is just meh. ROH still interests me.

Extra poll choice added, just for me. :P

Guest Da Showstoppa
Mainstream US wrestling bores me in general right now. ONly Punk keeps my interest in WWE, TNA has killed Joe while Cage is just meh. ROH still interests me.

Extra poll choice added, just for me. :P

Fair enough. Actually I was trying to think of an option along those lines but I only put 4 on the poll :P

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I am not enjoying WWE like I used to and to an extent it is mostly habit that keeps me watching, after watching for close to 18 years now I can't think of much that would stop me watching or ordering the PPV's we have to pay for

There isn't anything dynamic happening that makes me want to tune in to the next show these days, its all somewhat stale with only a handful of guys doing anything worth watching and normally I would just stop like I did with Eastenders, Brookeside and Emmerdale when it gets to this state but like my dad with smoking cigs the habit is keeping me going

Guest dpddave

RAW has really been terrible the past few week's. I no longer stay up to watch it live and only catch it during the week if i've im not doing anything else. Same with ECW and Smackdown,if their's something better on i'll watch that instead.

I don't even check the wrestling news site's that much any more either,where as before i'd check everytime i came on the internet.

Guest Da Showstoppa

I don't even check the wrestling news site's that much any more either,where as before i'd check everytime i came on the internet.

Funnily enough, I check the news more often in the hope that something exciting will be uncovered (signings future angles etc) The thing that I'm ordering No Mercy for is to see what happens (if anything) with Jericho - and who takes the WWE title.

Guest Wolverine
Conversely, I'm enjoying it more this year than I have for a long time. I was mainly watching out of habit in '05 and early '06, but I think WWE has been outstanding for most of this year. There's been a slight decline recently, but still, I'd regard this as my favourite year of WWE since 2001. The incredible progression of Cena from a dreadful wrestler into possibly the best in the world, and the amazing quality of pre-draft SmackDown, have gotten me hooked again. Most importantly, I'm having loads of fun watching WWE at the moment, which is all I ever ask from a wrestling show.

Guest SuperKick Kid

I enjoyed the beginning of 2007.

It started to go downhill in my opinion with the exits of Undertaker and HBK.

Right now I am bored most of their current product, although I do have my stuff I enjoy.

I enjoy most of ECW. Jeff Hardy and Londrick are highlights of Raw and there is some more stuff.

I did not like this Cena/Orton feud at all. I am looking forward to hopefully what will be a Jeff/Orton feud.

I try to ignore Triple H and Vince.

I am hoping that WWE will take advantage of the current WWE title situation and make the product more interesting.

I think WWE is very much take it or leave it really. You can miss weeks if not months of shows and pretty much miss sod all of any worth. The only thing you notice these days is "what happened to INSERT NAME?" oh he's injured/drug suspension. Thats about it.

WWE these days is just kind petering along with no major build for anything, no major draw matches at their disposal and a distinct lack of direction.

Does that mean its bad? Ocassionally, more just easily missable. Nothing gives me the desire to tune in each week to see what happens next in a feud. I don't think stale's the word, just stagnant.

And it almost seems sometimes that WWE themselves too don't really know what to do. The marquee matches are becoming a poorer and lesser draw all the time, they aren't creating enough stars, they aren't taking enough chances. Its very reminiscent of 1993 WWF, where things are just happening, and pretty much all of it won't be remembered in years to come.

Will it change? Honestly don't know, can't see much changing in the next 5 years. As good as the likes of MVP, Hardys, Umaga are, they aren't even the same level as the potential in the midcard they had just 4 or 5 years ago so. The talent pool is incredibly thin as they misused virtually every ECW/WCW member which warranted the roster split, meaning we now have 3 rosters made up of guys so green if you put them all together you'd have a giant tin of peas.

1. There is no elevation of talent on WWE TV

2. The 13 month title reign of John Cena was far too long

3. The main event picture is made up of the same few guys

4. Too much TV time is devoted to McMahon promos and pointless skits

5. Injuries have really exposed the talent pool (or lack thereof)

6. These cheap finishes by the refs ruin matches

7. The really talented wrestlers aren't given time to get over

8. Storylines are written by non wrestling people

9. All Promos are scripted, Individual characters aren't allowed to come out through interviews

10. Smackdown and Raw are so uneven it isn't funny

11. The "Big men" seem to be ruling again - eg Khali

1. Matt and MVP say hello. Even in the late 90's early 00's only about 2 guys a year made it to the main event level, if that. Randy Orton also says Hi, as does Umaga.

2. Disagree, the title needed to be made more credible. Cena did that over and over, having many MOTY candidates along the way. I don't mark for Cena, but he was the WWE of now and is the WWE of the future.

3. To a large extent, true. Especially on SD! and ECW

4. Oh hell yeah!

5. This is a fair comment I suppose, but no promotion really has anyone to compare with Austin and the Rock nowadays. And let's be honest, that's what we are doing to a large extent.

6. Not noticed this really

7. Possibly. Then again Jeff Hardy is over with just about 0 time outside his matches....

8. Don't see a problem with this to a large extent. MVP vs Hardy has bugger all to do with wrestling and is the best feud in about 3 to 10 years, depending on who you ask. I think the McMahons and senior management may be bigger issue here than the actual writers. Also, VKM is noted as saying he thinks 1 and 1/2 hours is enough per show, so I don't find it surprising the writers aren't making a huge effort.

9. Yeah, and this was always the case. Other people made it work, why can't these guys.

10. Raw is the storyline show, Smackdown is the "wrestling" show. It's why the cruisers are on SD! The irony of Batista main eventing this show is just so deep.

11. Hello, anyone else notice a bucketload of injuries and suspensions? It was Khali or ?? Maybe we'd prefer Masters? I think not. This is mostly a result of point 5 you made...

I will be totally honest though. I V+ all the shows and fast forward through the adverts. No matter how drunk I am, I can't bear 2 hours of TV with 45 minutes of adverts. For weeks now I've started watching SD! and just set it to record and watched QI and Jonathan Ross. Sad, but true

Edited by etz

Guest Da Showstoppa
I think WWE is very much take it or leave it really. You can miss weeks if not months of shows and pretty much miss sod all of any worth. The only thing you notice these days is "what happened to INSERT NAME?" oh he's injured/drug suspension. Thats about it.

WWE these days is just kind petering along with no major build for anything, no major draw matches at their disposal and a distinct lack of direction.

Does that mean its bad? Ocassionally, more just easily missable. Nothing gives me the desire to tune in each week to see what happens next in a feud. I don't think stale's the word, just stagnant.

And it almost seems sometimes that WWE themselves too don't really know what to do. The marquee matches are becoming a poorer and lesser draw all the time, they aren't creating enough stars, they aren't taking enough chances. Its very reminiscent of 1993 WWF, where things are just happening, and pretty much all of it won't be remembered in years to come.

Will it change? Honestly don't know, can't see much changing in the next 5 years. As good as the likes of MVP, Hardys, Umaga are, they aren't even the same level as the potential in the midcard they had just 4 or 5 years ago so. The talent pool is incredibly thin as they misused virtually every ECW/WCW member which warranted the roster split, meaning we now have 3 rosters made up of guys so green if you put them all together you'd have a giant tin of peas.

Pretty much my thoughts. The only thing that turned WWE around in that period was a combination of the Monday Night wars forcing WWE to become better, wrestling fans changing as in not buying into "good and evil" heels and baby faces and the subsequent emergence of Stone Cold Steve Austin which struck precisely the chord that needed to connect with those fans (followed by the breakout of Rock and Triple H)

Not to mention the old timers going to the competition - freeing spots for the likes of Austin Rock and Triple H.

I don't think that anything as big as that chain of events will ever happen again.

If WWE want to improve, then they need to strip it down and start again basically.

Etz, did you see the other list, I agree MVP and Matt has been handled superbly. Orton was created a while ago IMO. Although he has definately found his "a" game again. Thanks for the feedback though :)

Yeah, despite all the points I made, it's still depressing when compared to the early 00's. I suppose the mark was set so high, we were all spoiled rotten.

And despite Raw and SD! having different purposes, they've diverged too much to the point of being a bit carny, tbh.

Guest Da Showstoppa
Yeah, despite all the points I made, it's still depressing when compared to the early 00's. I suppose the mark was set so high, we were all spoiled rotten.

And despite Raw and SD! having different purposes, they've diverged too much to the point of being a bit carny, tbh.

Oh I agree, the "Attitude era" was a total once off period - but some of the dross WWE turns out isn't even entertaining

(barring the odd bit of genius - so they can do it when they try)

All we want is some good TV and good matches - We know it'll never be 1996-2001 ever again.

Agreed. I also hate how often the titles get jigged around. It makes them feel worthless, since Wrestler A wins it only to loose it a month later to Wrestler B.

And a lot of storylines seem pointless and unfunny. Teddy and Krystal, for a start. The only decent bit to come out the whole illegitimate kid angle was Hornswoggle putting Coach in a match vs Cena. Santino is really funny, but what, exactly, is the point? Because it's already getting old, and we all know he's only going to eat a stunner at some point.

But, to be fair to the WWE, they have had a load of major story arcs implode over the last six months. As to the lack of talent available, well WWE kinda did that to themselves when they effectively wiped out the territory system.

The thing that strikes me about WWE is how there seems to be a lack of people who are prepared to work hard at what they do. But there seems to be some chinks of light.

Randy Orton seems to have found a niche that suits him, Rey Mysterio is back, MVP is very good at what he does, as is Matt Hardy. Cody Rhodes has the right attitude and there's something about him that I am convinced will make him a huge star in time.

Beth Phoenix is exactly the kind of diva they need. Men look at your Candace's and your Melina's and don't take them seriously as wrestlers because they just don't LOOK tough. A man, pretty much any man, simply would not have the nerve to get in Beth's face because she looks like she could put you in a wheelchair, and that is what a WWE superstar should look like, male or female.

Hopefully WWE can get a couple more divas who can challenge Beth properly without having to make Beth look bad.

Cheers!

Guest Jimmy Redman
Agreed. I also hate how often the titles get jigged around. It makes them feel worthless, since Wrestler A wins it only to loose it a month later to Wrestler B.

Funny, since the past few years people have held onto most of the titles for a lot longer, and it was during the Attitude Era that the WWE Title changed hands every 5 minutes.