Martial Arts

Random News Update Thread 2008

Kam

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
In recent weeks, Playboy.com featured an online poll asking readers to vote on their favorite female wrestling personality that has graced the cover of Playboy in recent years.

The voting is now over and TNA's Christy Hemme has won in a landslide, beating the closest diva by 120,000 votes.

Christy beat Reno Mero, Torrie Wilson, Candice Michelle and Ashley Massaro.

Christy appeared on the April 2005 cover of Playboy magazine prior to joining TNA Wrestling in 2006

Credit: Wrestlezone.com

First piece of random news in 2008 :D

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Actually it's been on TNA's website since Friday :good222:
Maybe so but not posted in the random news thread until 2008 so technically it first piece of random news in 2008 for TWO :P

Guest John Hancock

Now comes Christ Hemme's promo about how she destroyed WWE.

First, a slightly higher rating than a rescheduled third rate, then winning a meanless poll, next, TEH WIN!

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
According to The Bi-Lo Center box office only 800 or so tickets have been sold for the February Against All Odds PPV.

Mike Johnson reports that TNA drew their largest crowd ever this past week in Oshawa, Canada with 4,200 paid and that there is talk of holding a PPV there in 2008.

TNA wrestler The Amazing Red is currently training and hoping to make a full time comeback.

Locations being discussed as possible PPV candidates in 2008 include but are not limited to Chicago, Louisville, Texas, Alabama, Canada, Las Vegas and Rhode Island.

Guest jim vs shark

so you're telling me that canada had a 4200 draw for a house-show

yet bound for glory only drew 4400 tickets, and allegedly adam *pacman* jones bought 1000 tickets for kids in atlanta who did well at school

DAMN!

I live not far from Oshawa and I didn't hear anything about a TNA show being there. Do you know where they were? Jesus I would have taken my son. It must not have been advertised very well. Also I noticed they put Canada on the list for possible PPV's this year do you know where? We are a hell of a big country over here.

Guest Dave7g
Now comes Christ Hemme's promo about how she destroyed WWE.

First, a slightly higher rating than a rescheduled third rate, then winning a meanless poll, next, TEH WIN!

Yeah, nobody should ever promote themselves, that's madness.

I never understood why they got rid of Hemme, she was rubbish, but not quite at the same level as what they are calling "Divas" now.

I agree with not knowing why they got rid of Hemme, but I think you're mistaking promoting yourself with bashing your former employer.

Unfortunately, too many ex-WWE performers have used the air time to bash WWE than promote TNA, even going so far as to have a match where the main focus was on the legacy and history of the WWE, WCW and ECW tag titles rather than the company's own title belts.

The WWE-bashing has abated for the most part, and that's how it should stay. Anyway, Hemme did the shoot while she was with the WWE (and most likely wouldn't have been considered without being a part of Vince's empire), so all it would take is for someone to point out that it was with the competition that she achieved her biggest accolade.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
According to promoter Ralph Mosca, WWE developmental territory Florida Championship Wrestling plans to add a weekly television program sometime this year, as well as more live events in the area. The Tampa Tribune has an article featuring comments from Mosca regarding FCW's plans for 2008.

WWE's currently looking for some new Hispanic wrestlers, more specifically, ones who are bilingual. The problem is, there's just not too many Hispanic wrestlers who are bilingual. That probably helped former TNA wrestler Apolo in landing a developmental contract even though he doesn't have the best background check, although it also helps that he is tall and has a good physique.

Unfortunately, too many ex-WWE performers have used the air time to bash WWE than promote TNA, even going so far as to have a match where the main focus was on the legacy and history of the WWE, WCW and ECW tag titles rather than the company's own title belts.

If you are referring to Team 3D, the focus was on the TNA tag belts as 3D were saying that those other titles were meaningless without the TNA straps.

If you are referring to Team 3D, the focus was on the TNA tag belts as 3D were saying that those other titles were meaningless without the TNA straps.

I think he means the promo for the match between VKM, the Steiners and 3D were each team went on about how much more important the WWF, WCW and ECW tag belts respectively were compared to each other, whilst the TNA titles weren't even mentioned once. That's the kind of thing that really makes you feel from time to time that TNA is trying to live off the past glories of other companies.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Bob Sapp is close to reaching a deal with World Wrestling Entertainment.

Unfortunately for those interested in seeing Sapp on WWE television, the deal being talked about only involves appearances during Japan house show events in February.

WWE has lost some bankability with the Japanese audience, its presence no longer guarantees a sellout, and wants to bolster its cards with a proven Japanese draw.

Negotiations to bring Sapp to WWE on a full-time basis have not advanced.