Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

How Would You Re-Style HBK?

Guest Boyo

Following on from a comment made my Beltmark in this week's Raw Spoilers thread...

DISCLAIMER: If you don't want to read Raw spoilers then don't go looking for Beltmark's comments until next week!!

...Ol' Beltermeister commented that HBK is still clinging on to his Heart Break Kid gimmick, despite looking old in the face, suspiciously saggy, and receding at an embarrassing levels. I think I agree. So this thread is intended to be quite a serious one, although I suspect it won't last...

Just how would you re-package HBK?

The old git can clearly still get it done in the ring, can put on great matches, can still perform the Sweet Chin Music, and is still charismatic on the mic. However, like Samson, I reckon if you cut his hair then he would somehow cease to be the Heart Break "Kid". Cut that guy's hair off and he's ageing...and quickly!.

Would you shave his head completely bald? Give him a JBL hairstyle? A Kennedy barnet? Would you slick it back like Vince? Would you make him look slightly effeminate like William Regal? :lol

Cheers!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To kick things off, I would cut his hair much shorter but would still leave it quite long, below ear length. I reckon the sheer weight of his hair exposes his baldness too much!

I would style his hair a little bit like Christian Bale in American Psycho, with curtains, with wispy bits at the back, and with his hair falling naturally, as it falls.

I would also keep the "Heart Break" gimmick, but this time I'd market him as some old ageing stud, who wears jeans, blazers, nice shoes and is a bit of a charming douchebag.

In fact, I'd make him into Eric Bischoff.

Cheers!

Guest The Beltster

I dont think cutting his hair would make him cease being anything other than looking like a knob, which he oes right now. Taker cut his hair, made no difference, Angle went bald, no difference. Test, Y2J, JBL and Christian, no difference. If anything, it made them look more modern not like 80's throwbacks.

I'd have Shawn cut his hair into a crop, like Christian or Jericho and stop wearing the cowboy hat as it doesnt suit him. I'd also get rid of the homoerotic (p)leather chaps he works in and get him back into his oldschool tights. (Although he is extremely scrawny these days and he probably has chicken legs so maybe leave the chaps on him, or put him in jeans).

Now the problem is, his music and the tag of 'Heartbreak Kid' dont suit him anymore. He isnt young, he isnt cool, the ladies dont all want his pecker. He looks like a Geography teacher trying to look cool, like if your Dad went out there and tried to act like he was sexy even though you know he is married with two kids and a 'Christian'. Its ridiuclous.

But, the problem is, his music and the tagline are such a huge part of his deal that removing them would probably be a bad thing. I'd try and phase out 'The Heartbreak Kid' nickname if I were Vince, and slowly but firmly plant a new one into fans minds. 'The Holy Avenger' has a nice ring to it :lol

So, in short: Haircut, change of ring gear, no hat and a new nickname. His music is such a part of him that removing it wouldnt be a good idea, even though its horrible and doesnt suit his gimmick whatsoever.

Guest G.I.Joe

I wouldn't. The HBK gimmick works too well for Michaels, even at his age, and the way he looks.

I think most women would still go mad for a guy like Michaels, so why not call himself the Heartbreak Kid? Sure, he ain't a kid anymore, but is JBL a God? Is 'Taker dead? It's only a nickname. Michaels wasn't a kid when he started using it, so where's the fuss come from?

IMO, he still out-performs most of the roster, including all of those that some would call the 'kids' of the WWE.

As far as I'm concerned, Michaels can call himself what he wants, lose more hair, sag a little more...so long as he can bring the level of entertainment to my screen that he has for the last decade and more.

Guest G.I.Joe

So, in short: Haircut, change of ring gear, no hat and a new nickname. His music is such a part of him that removing it wouldnt be a good idea, even though its horrible and doesnt suit his gimmick whatsoever.

And I have to disagree here. His music claims he's a 'sexy boy', and I'm sure many women would agree with that.

For men to claim that he has no right to use that, is a little.....gay? Who are we to judge? His 'Sexy Boy' image isn't supposed to appeal to us, it's for the ladies.

For men to claim that he has no right to use that, is a little.....gay? Who are we to judge? His 'Sexy Boy' image isn't supposed to appeal to us, it's for the ladies.
A heterosexual man can know when another man is good looking or not. Doesn't mean you have homosexual tendencies.

Here's a simple test for you G.I.Joe. Do you know what an ugly man looks like? Of course you do, we all do. But how would we know what an ugly man looks like if we didn't know what makes a good-looking man in comparison?

Oh, one other point. If a gay male had made Beltmark's comment about the wrongs of HBK's theme song, would that make a difference to you? Or is still only something a lady can comment on?

EDIT - Forgort to post what I'd do.

I'd have his hair cut to around the lenght Test had his cut, maybe a little shorter. Have him wrestle in his jeans (Summerslam 2002) and have his character become a grizzled veteran not ready to step aside for the younger guys. Turn him heel (which is a perfect excuse to change his music) and let him do what he does best with promos and as an in-ring talent.

Edited by DC

Guest The Beltster
It's only a nickname. Michaels wasn't a kid when he started using it, so where's the fuss come from?
He was a young man when he started using it, about 26-27. The fuss is that he is now in his 40's and the nickname no longer suits the man. Would be like Walkman coming back and calling himself the 1-2-3 Kid. He was about 20 when he got that name, now he is about 35, he isnt a kid anymore, it makes no sense. And there is no "fuss", simply differing opinions...

IMO, he still out-performs most of the roster, including all of those that some would call the 'kids' of the WWE.
He outperforms on certain big PPV's, but his TV matches for the most part are average to boring to crap. Chop, punch, inverted atomic drop, sell, sell, sell, sell, superkick.

As far as I'm concerned, Michaels can call himself what he wants, lose more hair, sag a little more...so long as he can bring the level of entertainment to my screen that he has for the last decade and more.
The last decade? Short changing him there a little, arent you? In 1998, he was retiring...you arent Mike Tyson are you? Because according to him, Shawn was an up and coming hungry tiger in 1998...

And I have to disagree here. His music claims he's a 'sexy boy', and I'm sure many women would agree with that.

Yes, I'm a bit queer because I think Shawn should change his music :lol

I'm sure there are women who would agree with it, as I'm sure there are men aswell (apparently I'm one of them), doesnt change that he isnt a 'good looking young man' anymore, he looks ancient and I'm sure most of the female fans have their eyes on younger wrestlers now, not Shawn Michaels.

The women used to go crazy over Ric Flair, do you think there are many 18-25 year old girls wanting to shag the Nature Boy these days? I doubt it...(except his wife).

Well let me give you my opinion as a women. His hair is too long, cut it shoulder length. Hate the hat and the cowboy chaps. Jeans and a t-shirt would be better. Music can stay like the song. He still has some good moves, sweet chin music never fails to impress. He is looking a little old in the face not his fault he's getting older, maybe he should get a nip and tuck if he's going to be around for awhile. I like him. Don't find him sexy though.

Guest Rebekah
He needs botox and a haircut, to about shoulder length i would say (i'd cut it!). Also make him wrestle in jeans and T-shirt (idea already mentioned i know, but i think it would look cool). A heel turn wouldn't be such a bad thing

Guest SuperKick Kid

I wouldn't.

Changing him would make him no longer Shawn Michaels. You don't change a classic just because they are getting old. Even when they changed Taker to BikerTaker, there were many people wanting him to return as The Deadman and when they did there was a thunderous pop for him. People want the classic, they don't want the new and improved. You don't change Flair, Hogan, Taker, etc.. just because they are getting old.

HBK uses the 'Sexy Boy' music as just music because it identifies with him, the music is over. Same with his image. You don't change what isn't broken in the mind of average fan. Same reason why he is called The Heartbreak Kid still, the name identifies with him. Ric Flair is still called the Nature Boy.

He outperforms on certain big PPV's, but his TV matches for the most part are average to boring to crap. Chop, punch, inverted atomic drop, sell, sell, sell, sell, superkick.

Boring to crap maybe to you, it's a lot better than: get beat up, Hulk Up, Punch, Punch, Big Boot, Leg Drop, to me.

Besides, lately he has been stepping it up on his Raw matches. Especially his last two with Kennedy. Also it is stupid to try and compare everyone's TV matches to PPV matches, no one goes all out on TV, they all do the same routine, everyone does on TV. And name me the last PPV where HBK did the same ol' thing. At Armageddon he and Kennedy had one of the best matches of the night. He also had two great matches with Orton at Survivor Series and Taboo Tuesday. Also before his injury, he was on fire with PPV matches. NYR, Rumble, No Way Out, Wrestlemania, Backlash, and that great match with Cena on Raw inbetween. So I fail to see your point.

Guest Clarkey
On the musical side of matters, would there be anything wrong with him just having an instrumental version? Jazz it up with a heel undertone if they went the route DC describes, and that can be coupled with Belty's look. Leave it closer to it is now if he is to remain face.

Guest The Beltster
Boring to crap maybe to you, it's a lot better than: get beat up, Hulk Up, Punch, Punch, Big Boot, Leg Drop, to me.
I tell you what bro, I'm not going to even aknowledge you anymore, because in EVERY argument or disagreement, the best you got is "Its better than Hulk Hogan!" or something similar involving him, and it shows you have NOTHING. No argument, no comeback, to counter-points, its just 'well I'll mention Hogan as thats the best I can do'. Hogan wasnt anything to do with this, as he usually isnt, yet you bring him up and thats your best counter-point? Its like you have taken the Chewbacca defence, put HBK into there and use it at every opportunity :lol

Its nothing more than wasted breath speaking with you, because you are a close-minded HBK mark who see's everything through HBK-tinted glasses and can see no wrong with him in any way. At lease I will tear Hogan down for his many faults, you see zero in Shawn, always jumping to his defence in a way that is embarassing to read. You are obviously deeply in love with the man.

Defending his retarded haircut as being perfectly fine might have been the last shred of any type of credibility you had going flying out the window.

Shawn's punch, kick chop is the sh*ts, defend it if you like, but it sucks d*ck and anybody who says Shawn isnt even a patch on what he was in his prime has their head up their ass, or maybe Shawn's ass, whichever is closer. Plus, Shawn used to always put in maximum effort in TV matches back on RAW in 92 - 96 (specifically 95-96). He has become lazy.

Oh, and you claim you dont change things, HBK's attire changed from long-standing tights to chaps, and you never said anything or cried or complained that they had ruined Shawn, right? EXACTLY! Change doesnt have to be bad. Same with Hogan before you throw his name out there AGAIN! His look in 2008 compared to 1988 is completely different. Long tie-dye tights over plain trunks, airbrushed red boots over plain yellow boots, feathers, sunglasses and Hendrix over Real American at times, and nobody thought they had ruined Hogan (although Real American suits him much better).

Edited by The Beltster

On the musical side of matters, would there be anything wrong with him just having an instrumental version? Jazz it up with a heel undertone if they went the route DC describes, and that can be coupled with Belty's look. Leave it closer to it is now if he is to remain face.
Maybe keep the theme (but a little slower) and change the lyrics to suit his new heel persona.

Guest SuperKick Kid

Did I say his hair was perfectly fine? No. I just said leave it alone because it has always been long.

I never said Shawn was still great looking in my previous post, I am not G.I. Joe, I am not trying to prove that Shawn still looks like he did in 1995. My argument was that you shouldn't change the classic.

Also, Ease up bro. I don't know what set you off, but ease up. I just used Hogan as an example because it was you and he came to mind first. It'd probably have come to mind first anyway since it is the most memorable sequence in history. I used Taker and Flair earlier in my post, should Naitch and a Taker fan be insulted? I was speaking to your opinion on moves, since you said you didn't like HBK's and you obviously liked Hogan so I was comparing our thoughts. And I never said "it was better than Hogan" Hogan obviously was a bigger draw and people loved his Hulk Up routine. I was just comparing your taste to mine.

Edit: Since Belty edited:

Oh, and you claim you dont change things, HBK's attire changed from long-standing tights to chaps, and you never said anything or cried or complained that they had ruined Shawn, right? EXACTLY! Change doesnt have to be bad. Same with Hogan before you throw his name out there AGAIN! His look in 2008 compared to 1988 is completely different. Long tie-dye tights over plain trunks, airbrushed red boots over plain yellow boots, feathers, sunglasses and Hendrix over Real American at times, and nobody thought they had ruined Hogan (although Real American suits him much better).

No, not all change has to be bad. And see you can make a comparison using others and it is a very well put comparison that has got me thinking. Yes maybe some change is good. Some change can be bad though.

As you pointed out yourself that HBK's doing chops are bad, and I agree with you. That is one change he made himself and it was a bad change. He should have kept doing the jabs and punches.

And yes they did change Hogan's look, but they kept it relatively the same. I also agree with you, Real American is much better. Which is why I think they should keep "Sexy Boy" that is Shawn's Real American and it should stay that way because it identifies with him.

HBK also changed because he has now started wearing his cowboy hat. It is only a slight change, but he has been wearing cowboy hats forever, so it is a change that was welcomed and accepted by the fans. Same with the chaps, he was always wearing chaps except he took them off before the match. Now they are just part of his pants. A small and welcomed change because chaps were already identifiable with him.

Edited by SuperKick Kid

Guest The Beltster
Did I say his hair was perfectly fine? No. I just said leave it alone because it has always been long.
You said in a previous post that his hair wasnt that bad, when its obviously terrible.

My argument was that you shouldn't change the classic.
And my argument is Shawn has changed in various ways since his prime and its not hurt him. Changing for the better cant be bad, and if it doesnt work, you can always go back, it doesnt hurt to try but you seem to be completely against ANYTHING to try and improve him.

Also, Ease up bro. I don't know what set you off, but ease up. I just used Hogan as an example because it was you and he came to mind first. It'd probably have come to mind first anyway since it is the most memorable sequence in history. I used Taker and Flair earlier in my post, should Naitch and a Taker fan be insulted? I was speaking to your opinion on moves, since you said you didn't like HBK's and you obviously liked Hogan so I was comparing our thoughts. And I never said "it was better than Hogan" Hogan obviously was a bigger draw and people loved his Hulk Up routine. I was just comparing your taste to mine.
Ease up? Bro when you stop using Hogan in every instance to argue a point with me even when Hogan has nothing to do with it, I'll ease up. It becomes a little annoying when your best counter-point to Shawn being horrible at something is "Well Hogan is too!"

This isnt about Hogan, I'll be the first to admit Hogans hair is retarded and his in-ring talent at this point is next to nil.

Again, Shawn HAS become lazy, and Shawn isnt a patch on his prime. He brings it in big matches which is the main thing, sure, but to deny his matches arent much more than punch, chop, inverted atomic drop is blind fanship.

This whole 'I'm a 'Christian' therefore I can't be a heel for long' thing is ridiculous too. The most interesting period for Michaels in the last 5 years was the short time he worked heel with Hogan, I didn't particularly like the feud but at least it made a change from this uber face Heartbreak Kid nonsense and I don't think anyone can really argue that Michaels wasn't always a better heel than babyface anyway. He has needed a major heel run for some time now.

Eddie Guerrero by all accounts was a Christian (granted he didn't do the whole 'LOOK AT ME, I'M A CHRISTIAN, AIN'T I GREAT?' thing that Michaels seems to do), didn't stop him dropping Rey on his head on top of steel steps, bloodying him up, making children in the audience cry, ripping off his mask, stamping on said mask, doing the Dominic storyline and generally being the greatest pr*ck in wrestling because he was playing a character on TV. I'm sure there are some Christian actors and it'd be pretty damn silly if they came out and said they couldn't play the villain because they were Christian. They are actors, playing a role.

Shawn Michaels would be playing a character on TV.

We also have to be fair to Flair (see what I did there), the Nature Boy character is timeless, custom made suits are timeless, having money and living a champagne lifestyle is timeless and he can be updated to contemporary times by saying that he is now a sugar daddy and that is why he has women chasing after him. In the 80s he was young and cocky and had women after him because he was rich, classy and was the Champion but now, yes he's old and has thinning hair and stuff but women still chase after him because he is still classy and has plenty of money.

The Heartbreak Kid thing is at the very core a young man's character and jumping around wearing chaps dancing to 'Sexy Boy' isn't timeless. The character worked best when he was young, cocky, in your face, perceived as being a dreamboat by women and therefore a bit of an asshole because of that.

Edited by Naitch

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I'd re-style Shawn Michaels into an unemployed man waiting in the dole-que, personally :lol

Like has been said he needs to drop the whole 'Sexy Boy' stuff, he isn't sexy nor is he a boy anymore and trying to act like he is in his 20's still just makes him look like he's having a mid-life crisis which is not a good look at all

He's like those 35-45 year olds who suddenly buy a sports car, grow their hair out and drive around trying to hit on all the collage girls in a desperate attempt to convince the world, and more importantly themselves, they are not getting older

Michaels is in his 40's now he should act it more - get some comfy shoes to wrestle in and a lazy-boy chair to take a break in mid match etc

Guest The Beltster

I think its funny that Shawn was one of the most vocal guys who ripped into the old boys back when he was part of the 'WWF New Generation' (which sucked, BTW), saying how the old guys should retire and move on and let the younger guys have their spot. Also I remember various interviews where he said he would never "embarass himself" by wrestling into his 40's and 50's, and look at him now, doing everything he said he wouldnt.

I think the young guys realise, when they hit their later years, that its alot easier to tell the old guys to move on when they are still young, but find out when they arent young anymore that they still have a passion to work and cant walk away as easy as they were telling the others to.

If that makes sense, it a bit mashed up verballing there :lol

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity