Fan Clubs (beta)

Interesting Gaming Myths, Facts and Tidbits

Guest Clarkey

Guest Clarkey

Did you know that...

• In 1987, Mario's dad, Lord Shigsy, worked on a Famicom game called Doki Doki Panic which was released in Japan. In 1988, the game was basically reskinned and fed to the west as Super Mario Bros. 2. In 1992, the western conversion was released in Japan as Super Mario USA.

• Michael Jackson was originaly suppost to do the music for Sonic 3 before Sega dropped him due to "The allegations". MJ's prodution team picked it up instead. Word is, some of the music is MJ's original concepts anyway. I'm sure I've posted the link to the video before, but here is one of the theorists views on the matter at hand:

• In the GC version of Viewtful Joe, Joe whistles the Super Mario theme as he brings out a bomb and juggles it. Clicky.

• The name Metroid is a portmanteau of the words "metro system" (as in subway, or underground) and "android", because the designers thought Samus looked like an android and that the underground tunnels were like a Metro System, hence... Metroid. It was in a televised interview on Japanese TV, and a copy of N*Revolution magazine.

• Populous only became a 'God' game because Peter Molyneux did not know how to code path finding routines for controlling the little men. Thus instead he let them wander and gave the player the 'Hand of God', and started quite a trend.

• One last one that is pretty well known; the combo's in Street Fighter 2 were stumbled upon by accident.

I'm sure people have many more, and geeks like myself will find more, so we can collate them here.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

- The The Legend of Zelda on the NES was the first game to have a battery to save your progress.

- Halo was originally planned as a Real Time Strategy game before it became a first person shooter.

- The Original Devil May Cry for PS2 was supposed to be the next chapter in the Resident Evil series, and the sword slash to gun juggle you can perform in the game was a glitch turned into an actual move for the game

- The Wizard, starring Fred Savage, was the first time Super Mario Bros. 3 footage was shown in America. Basically the movie was a 2 hour advert for Nintendo much like 'Captain N: The Game Master' cartoon was made just to promote Nintendo

- Pac-Man originally had all the ghosts red, and no power pellets. Test markets showed people enjoyed the ghosts being a variety of colours rather than uniformed one colour. The power pellet was added later as a way for players to fight back.

Guest Anime Otaku

Pac Man was known as Puck Man in Japan, the name was changed in the west to prevent vandals making a swear word from the name.

Donkey Kong was originally called Monkey Kong in Japan but a bad phone line caused the name to be misheard.

The name Altair, the protagonist in Assassin's Creed, is Arabic for 'The Flying'.

Altair's cowl never allows his whole face to be visible, it also comes to a point which looks like the beak of a Bird of Prey.

All the targets in AC were real people who died or vanished in suspicious circumstances.

When Altair does a leap of faith you hear a hawk's call.

Edited by Anime Otaku

Donkey Kong was originally called Monkey Kong in Japan but a bad phone line caused the name to be misheard..

That's one story. Another, given in David Sheff's Game Over: Nintendo's Battle to Dominate Videogames (well worth a read) is that a translator wanted a word for "Stubborn" so they could call the game something like "Stubborn Ape" and the thesaurus he used gave "Donkey" as a synonym for "stubborn".

Fact time: King Kong is the generic name given to any fearsome ape in Japan, hence Donkey Kong. Nintendo were sued by MCA Universal, who owned the rights to the original King Kong movies. MCA lost the case - they'd never trademarked the name and previous litigation showed it to be in the public domain anyway.

Guest John Hancock

The name Altair, the protagonist in Assassin's Creed, is Arabic for 'The Flying'.

If my Arabic serves me well, الطائر mean's "He who flies". It's also a word used to describe eagles, the bird of Arabia which symbolises great power. So, yeah, you were right.

- Pokemon was banned in several Arabic countires for promoting Zionism and the state of Isreal.

- In Germany, the makers of the N64 "Golden Eye" were ordered by the courts to make all the blood green to give the impression that the player was fighting zombies.

- When first released, several US critics feared Tetris promoted Communism because of the little Russian dance that happens if you win.

- A Harvard doctor wrote an academic essay claiming the all "Civilisation" game are racist, capitalist, and facist.

Guest Da Showstoppa

- In Germany, the makers of the N64 "Golden Eye" were ordered by the courts to make all the blood green to give the impression that the player was fighting zombies.

Not just on Goldeneye - I think No Mercy was one of the others.

In Mortal Kombat 1 - there was a common belief that a hidden character in red called Ermac existed. He didn't but sometimes a glitch would show a red swap of Scorpion/Subzero with the word "ermac" above - Meaning "Error Machine". The rumour was so popular, Tobias and Boon created Ermac as a full character in Mortal Kombat 3.

Guest Anime Otaku
Not just on Goldeneye - I think No Mercy was one of the others.

Germany is just censor happy towards videogames violence. Any game that shows blood has it turned green in the German version.

Guest Clarkey

- THQ stands for Toy Head Quarters. The name is derived from THQ's background as a toy manufacturer. They branched into video games and in the early 1990's sold off the toy division to concentrate on video games.

- Virtua Racing arcade should have never come out. The game was only a test, but it was so good internally they released it anyway.

- The infamous Night Trap and Sewer Shark for the Mega CD began their lives many years earlier than the Mega CD itself. Both projects were initially bankrolled by toy company Hasbro in the late 1980s, for a VHS-based console that would play interactive movies in the style of Dragon's Lair. Hasbro even called in Nolan Bushnell to help develop the machine. The obvious practical problems of using VHS to load and play games (think of the rewinding! ) and the console's prohibitively expensive price tag ensured the machine never made retail, but not before Hasbro spent millions of dollars on research and had two movies already in the can. One of the men involved in the failed project later founded Digital Pictures, and the rest is bad FMV history.

- Nolan Bushnell gave the job of designing Pong to early Atari employee Al Alcorn just as something to keep him busy. Bushnell believed that the future of the arcade lie in games like Computer Space, not in simple games of electronic tennis.

- Games in the Dragon Quest series can only be released on the weekends in Japan.

In November 2001, 21-year-old American Shawn Woolley committed suicide after what his mother claimed was an addiction to Everquest.[15]

On June 7, 2003, 18-year-old American Devin Moore shot and killed three police officers after grabbing one of the officers' weapons following an arrest for the possession of a stolen vehicle. At trial, the defense claimed that Moore had been inspired by the video game Grand Theft Auto III.[16]

On June 25, 2003, two American step brothers, Joshua and William Buckner, aged 14 and 16, respectively, used a rifle to fire at vehicles on Interstate 40 in Tennessee, killing a 45-year-old man and a wounding a 19-year-old woman. The two shooters claimed to have been inspired by Grand Theft Auto III.[17]

In October 2004, a 41-year-old Chinese man named Qiu Chengwei stabbed 26-year-old Zhu Caoyuan to death over a dispute regarding the sale of a virtual weapon the two had jointly won in the game Legend of Mir 3.[18]

In August 2005, the four-month-old daughter of a South Korean couple died after being left unattended for five hours while her parents played World of Warcraft at an Internet cafe.[19]

In August 2005, a 28-year-old South Korean man died after playing Starcraft for 50 hours straight.[20]

In September 2007, a Chinese man in Guangzhou, China, died after playing Internet video games for three consecutive days in an Internet cafe.[21][22]

In December 2007, a Russian man was beaten to death over an argument in the MMORPG Lineage II. The man was killed when his guild and a rival guild challenged each other to a live brawl.[23]

In December 2007, a Russian man was beaten to death over an argument in the MMORPG Lineage II. The man was killed when his guild and a rival guild challenged each other to a live brawl.[23]

That is awesome, I hoped they dressed and acted like thier online personas.

Guest Da Showstoppa
I think we're noticing a pattern here, World of Warcraft style games are EVIL :lol

I wonder how many kills and crimes have been attributed to the GTA series?

Guest Al Stevens

sorry i forgot to mention I was kidding :xyx

However actually that would be interesting stat to find out?

I think we're noticing a pattern here, World of Warcraft style games are EVIL :lol

Hey, EVIL is a good thing. :lol

And a quick not to KING... Not all WoW players are nerds, you cursed Sid Options of the living dead. :lol

Guest Anime Otaku

In the end, big fat zero, a few have tried like that cop killer but it's never fooled a jury.

Renegade, an arcade port onto the Amstrad CPC WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the day had to have blue blood for the same reason.