Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Hogan & Bischoff to start new promotion?

Guest Dan

HULK HOGAN is just days away from launching his own wrestling federation, The Sun can exclusively reveal.

The legendary former WWE champion claims he and ex-WCW supremo Eric Bischoff are currently in discussions to take on his old boss Vince McMahon head-to-head.

He revealed: “Last night me and Eric were getting ready to sign a deal with one of the TV networks here in America.

“We had a little bit of a problem with the licensing and merchandising, which has delayed it.

“But I totally expect we’re going to sign the TV portion of this very soon, because there’s no point in starting any sort of wrestling organisation without the TV locked in place.

“Now we’re just arguing among the lawyers on how to protect the brand and the image and make sure it’s a fair deal for everybody.

“Once we’ve wrapped the TV up we’ll make the official announcement. The network want to make a really big deal of it.”

Hulk added: “The basic idea will be the same as WWE, but I pray to god it’s nothing like what’s on TV now.

“I’m a fan, but it is pretty boring programming. It’s watered down and unexciting, and the viewer doesn’t have any option except to have it shoved down his throat.

“We’re going to have a lot of back story for viewers to understand why these people are doing what they're doing.

“It won’t be family members in the back writing storylines on things they know nothing about.”

Hogan does face one massive hurdle in building his own wrestling group – most of America’s top grapplers are already under contract to WWE, TNA or ROH.

COMING AFTER VINCE ... Hulk with his wrestling rival and Sly Stallone

COMING AFTER VINCE ... Hulk with his wrestling rival and Sly Stallone

Wireimage

But he maintains: “There are a lot of unhappy campers in the WWE and there are also a new breed of wrestlers that Vince McMahon hasn’t explored yet, that we have.

“And I’m in better shape than I have been for about 10 years.”

Wrestling is just one of many projects for Hulk.

He is the host of the hugely successful American Gladiators remake, has a range of branded products in the shops and is now even the face of the £3.5million FLW Fantasy Fishing game.

So with a second series of Gladiators on the books, and lots of money rolling in, does The Hulkster really want to face the trials and tribulations of the wrestling business once again?

The answers is a resounding 'yes'.

He insists: “Wrestling is in my blood. It will always be a part of my life in some way.”

As Hulk rushed off to call his TV network, we asked what Vince McMahon’s views on his plans were.

“I have no idea what Vince thinks or knows about all of this,” Hogan replied.

“I don’t speak to him.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/article808724.ece

I was going to post this in the random news thread, but thought it might spark a little discussion.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this about the 5th fed Hogan was starting since 2000? :lol

QFT

To be fair, he shouldn't have any problem building a decent cruiser card, since a fair number of WWE and TNA guys are likely to move, given the way they are treated/booked.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I don't think it will happen but it would be interesting if it does, to say the least

Hogan has been slagging the quality of todays wrestling off recently, on 'The View' he took a swipe at the quality (saying there was too much talk and not enough wrestling on shows) so it could well be the case he is starting a fed and slagging off WWE/TNA etc to garner some interest in what his Fed has to offer

Still can't see it happening any time soon through, but we shall see

Guest The Beltster

F*ck Hogan, he is full of it as always. There will be no Hogan/Bischoff lead promotion and if he does anything, it will last a couple months and die. I'm so tired of this same tired story of Hogan starting his own fed.

Hogan was very recently on RAW, and any talks of starting a fed would have been well under way by then, so why would he work RAW?

Hogan, compete with Vince? Dont make me laugh. He has his Gladiators gig, which he is making a ton of cash from AND which is doing amazingly well in the ratings. He wont jump in the ring now, IMO.

He makes some perfect points, though:

“I’m a fan, but it is pretty boring programming. It’s watered down and unexciting, and the viewer doesn’t have any option except to have it shoved down his throat."

Too true, and this next little gem is bang on:

“It won’t be family members in the back writing storylines on things they know nothing about.”

Its a shame losers like Triple H and Steph are going to be the ones running the big show that Hogan built with Vince, whereas Hogan has to settle for (possibly) running some low budget crap nothing fed. Not that I think it will happen.

Edited by The Beltster

Least Buff Bagwell would have a few bookings if this happens.

Add Greg Valentine, Brutus Beefcake, Kamala, One Man Gang, Koko B. Ware and Road Warrior Animal to that list as well.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Source: Dave Meltzer

In an interview with The Sun in the U.K. (http://www.thesun.co.uk) Hulk Hogan said that he and Eric Bischoff are about to sign a network deal for a new pro wrestling show.

"Last night me and Eric were getting ready to sign a deal with one of the TV networks here in America. We had a little bit of a problem with the licensing and merchandising, which has delayed it. But I totally expect we're going to sign the TV portion of this very soon, because there's no point in starting any sort of wrestling organization without the TV locked in place."

Hogan knocked the current WWE product in the interview, saying he's a wrestling fan but he finds WWE "pretty boring programming. It's watered down and unexciting and the viewer doesn't have any option except to have it shoved down his throat."

Hogan and Bischoff have talked for more than a year about starting a company, contacting many former WWE and WCW stars from the 80s and 90s. Before the divorce, Linda Bollea had told me Hogan and Bischoff would be starting a company, but not to compete with Vince, but to do overseas tours starring Hogan. We haven't heard any rumblings of top talent having been talked with, and there is very little in the way of free agent talent out there. If the two have legitimate network backing, they could be a player, but would need a long-term commitment or it's not even worth starting.

Hogan is believed to have put a considerable amount of money into a company where Bischoff controls the money.

Keep in mind Hogan has nearly half a dozen times at this point in time made threats of starting his own company, or strongly teased starting up with other companies. In every case, hindsight has shown the motive was to get McMahon to bring him back, since Wrestlemania season is here.

Credit: Wrestlezone.com

Meltzer speaks about it

In a way I'd like it to be true, just because I think Easy E has a good mind for the wrestling business and I have wanted him to get back involved in a promotion for a long time now. I always thought he should have had some creative role within the WWE, but I guess that was never going to work.

If it does come off that Hogan does start something up, there is very little established talent out there that isn't over the age of 50, so anyone would struggle setting up a company in my opinion. Plus, at the end of the day, it is always going to be about Hogan, and who he beats.

Guest The Beltster

If he started something with Eric that he had sunk a ton of his own money into, I dont think Hogan is stupid enough to base the entire promotion around himself and put himself on top.

I've long heard rumours of him and Eric running an international 'Hulkamania Farewell' tour, which is something I'd love to attend, other than that I cant see them doing anything.

If he started something with Eric that he had sunk a ton of his own money into, I dont think Hogan is stupid enough to base the entire promotion around himself and put himself on top.

I've long heard rumours of him and Eric running an international 'Hulkamania Farewell' tour, which is something I'd love to attend, other than that I cant see them doing anything.

I do think the 'Hulkamania Farewell' tour is a good idea, it would have a lot of mileage in my opinion in terms of global touring in Japan, Europe as well as the States.

And with someone like Bischoff at the helm, who know about the wrestling business and about business, it could work well.

Don't forget that if he sinks his own personal stash in a federation, it'll be less the guy who's suing him for street racing will get off him, just my two penny.

Guest The Franchise
I do think the 'Hulkamania Farewell' tour is a good idea, it would have a lot of mileage in my opinion in terms of global touring in Japan, Europe as well as the States.

And with someone like Bischoff at the helm, who know about the wrestling business and about business, it could work well.

It could. Then again maybe not.:mf_sleep:

Guest THE Stately

TNA offered to let the disgruntled out of their contracts a little while back, but I doubt they'd be that nonchalant about it if it were a pushed guy. WWE--no way would Vince let the contracted guys off the hook to work elsewhere. And even the ROH guys are under contract...so it just sounds like typical Hogan nonsense.

BTW, I'm under the impression the Gladiators ratings have taken a serious dive since the debut...but he always SUPPOSEDLY seems to have some other thing cooking, e.g. the fishing deal. And why exactly would a big TV network want not only an unestablished product with no track record, but wrestling period, these days?

It could happen a lot of wrestlers have been released in the last few months and by all accounts there is discourse in the locker room with some of the remaining talent. IMO given the chance to jump ship some might do it but I think Hogan would have to establish the new brand first. I mean why leave an established company for one that may or may not make it. Also isn't Hogan going through a divorce right now? Where is he getting the money to start anything? Wifey just might get half.

Guest The Beltster
It could happen a lot of wrestlers have been released in the last few months and by all accounts there is discourse in the locker room with some of the remaining talent. IMO given the chance to jump ship some might do it but I think Hogan would have to establish the new brand first. I mean why leave an established company for one that may or may not make it. Also isn't Hogan going through a divorce right now? Where is he getting the money to start anything? Wifey just might get half.
Hogan is worth several hundred million I expect...he isnt hard up for a couple quid.

Guest DarkMatchJobber

One good thing that could come about this is if Hogan and Bischoff could not attract big names (most of whom are already contracted to the likes of WWE and TNA) than they'd have more incentive to make their own stars which would be good for the business as a whole.

Nobody wants to see Greg Valentine taking five minutes longer than he used to just to apply the figure four or see two Harold Bishop physiqued guys walking down the ring and then realise it's Axe and Smash of demolition.

Guest Ravenmark

I'd love for it to be true - but let's face it, Hogan's been working people his whole life, he's not about to start now.

Remember it's not lying in the wrestling business, it's working!

I would totally go for a Hulkamania world tour - I think it would do good business - but who would Hulk fight?

I would MARK OUT LIKE A BITCH for a Hogan - Warrior Rubber match :lol

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity