Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Chris Jericho's Return-What went wrong?

Guest DOB

It's been about 4 months since Jericho returned and about 6 or 7 since the SaveUs.222 campaign started.The IWC was buzzing with hype over his return and the ad campaigns surrounding it but when Jericho finally returned all the hype turned flat and Y2J is back to being just a mid card act.

So I ask the question-what went wrong?

Was it the long wait for his return? Did WWE book it right?

Was it Jericho himself? Or was it the fans?

Tell us TWO what do you think.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately the booking.

Said he came back because of Randy Orton, won by DQ, feud ends.

Anti-climatic to say the least and his program with JBL was a major disappointment.

The fact that he came back against Orton was a bad move to make. They drew out his return for too long too, the fans were chanting Y2J at the last two PPV's before his return knowing that he'd be the one to "save us", and by the time he came back Cena was out an injured.

Had Jericho returned as a tweener to save us from John Cena's title reign, can you imagine how that'd be received? Kids would be screaming for his blood, and smarks would love to get behind that. You'd have a heated feud between two guys that the crowd both loved and hated. Chris would also shine a lot more on the mic if he had an aspect of heel in him.

I've also noticed that Jericho's lost a step or two when it comes to his ring work. But I think he's just rusty.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer
I think he has been absolutely dreadful since his return, such a let down on the mic and in the ring, wouldnt care if he left again even though I used to be a big Jericho fan.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

One thing that annoys me is how obviously heavily scripted his promo's now are, give him a little freedom on the mic and it goes a long long way

His feuds since his return have not set the world on fire either as has been said, his feud with Orton ended after 1 match and his feud with JBL never sparkled mostly because both (JBL esspecially) were rusty

Edited by Nemesis Enforcer

One thing that annoys me is how obviously heavily scripted his promo's now are, give him a little freedom on the mic and it goes a long long way

His feuds since his return have not set the world on fire either as has been said, his feud with Orton ended after 1 match and his feud with JBL never sparkled mostly because both (JBL esspecially) were rusty

Another good point. When he was in the ring cutting a promo with Santino, and the one with Bishoff too, it seemed like the writers thought it was going to be John Cena in there. What with the lame humor, and childish put-downs.

Guest Kanenite
For the most of it i'd say the booking. Having him come back to save us from Randy Orton and instantly put him in a WWE Title match which he wins by DQ and then it ends was silly booking. Totally kills the impact he could've had if the feud would have stretched for longer, it's a big shame to see it end like that. Then the JBL feud hasn't exactly been phenomenal, it's been alright but like the Orton one has just kind of died and seems like a half arsed attempt at a feud. As for Jerichos in ring skill though I don't think it's near what it used to be but i'd put that down to him being away from the ring for 2 years, i'm sure in 2008 he'll pick up and have some great matches that he should be.

Guest Redneck Messiah

Many good points made already in the thread

-too drawn out anticiaption of his return. Should have happened two to four weeks earlier than it did

-promos too scripted

-the booking has been weak for him

They need to turn him into a cocky heel again and give him some freedom with his promos. He's sucking right now as a face and doesn't really seem fully into it. I think the fans prefer him much more as a heel. The major worry is that they will bury him as a heel making him look even weaker than they have since his return. He needs to be a heel that gets some clean victories and is allowed to be controversal on the mic.

They buried him almost as soon as he came back. Orton at that point was without any charisma at all and was boring as all hell. The the whole JBL thing was just a disaster from start to finish. Also, no title rematch after a DQ finish?

Funny, I seem to remember Cena getting another shot in similar circumstances a few days ago.

Promos and ring work have also been an issue.

Guest the HiTman
What went wrong? Nothing. Jericho is rubbish. I did actually get hyped about him coming back, but as soon as he arrived, I remembered all the reasons why I thought he was cr*p...he sounds forced on the mic, unconvincing in ring and to top it off; he now sound even sillier than he did before as he has added an 'entertainers' feel to his promo's...he reminds me of Jon Bon Jovi crossed with Dave Mustaine from Megadeth.

Guest sarahrko

He's a face.

He is much better as a heel. His feuds haven't exactly been booked right, this current feud with JBL is rubbish. And he's probably a little rusty after being away for 2 years. The fans suck too.

Guest FreeSpirit

The worst thing that WWE did was just throw him into the main event scene upon his return and get a WWE Title match with little to no momentum. There's only one way his short term career can go after that and that's down.

The fans just don't seem to care about him anymore, and WWE really need to go back to the drawing board with him, before he becomes a Heat curtain jerker or a jobber for all and sundry.

The worst thing that WWE did was just throw him into the main event scene upon his return and get a WWE Title match with little to no momentum. There's only one way his short term career can go after that and that's down.

The fans just don't seem to care about him anymore, and WWE really need to go back to the drawing board with him, before he becomes a Heat curtain jerker or a jobber for all and sundry.

I wouldn't say all the fans don't care about him but i see where your coming from.He still has a bit of a following,he just can't reach out to new fans with his promos and stuff.

I think what went wrong was; every one was expecting Y2J 2007 which would have been Jericho with a new attitude,new gimmick,and a new aura about him but what every one got was Y2J 2003 wearing a faggy vest and a new haircut.

Yeah I think thats spot on, we all expected something fresh and new after a good few years back and all we got was same old Jericho from before.

Its like the old X-Pac syndrome, you can change your theme tune as many times as you like, but if you have the same moveset, same matches, same promos, same taunts, its just stale real quick.

Jericho just really doesn't stand out at all.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
but if you have the same moveset, same matches, same promos, same taunts, its just stale real quick.
Flair says otherwise :lol

Being serious though I think what Jericho really needs is a heel turn, he has always been a better heel then face, give him th mic and let him slag off the crowd and wrestlers in a promo that is not scripted down to the last word for him by some writer who wouldn't know an insult from his elbow and go from there

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity