TPIB

Is Ric Flair All That Great?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is Ric Flair All That Great?

• Absolutely
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Who's Ric Flair?

You hear all the time on WWE Television about Ric Flair and his "legendary" career and things of the sort. I would like to think that I am not alone in this, but I don't really think that Flair is all that great. I know that they give the term "legend" or "veteran" to anyone who has been around for more than 10 years, but it's not just the WWE, it's all these Flair Fans that say he's the "greatest" and everything. To me, Flair has had a decent career and has had a couple of good matches, but I don't agree with the assessment that Flair is the greatest wrestler in history. He's not that great of a wrestler, he's more gimmick than anything.

I may be missing something, but I think there are a lot of wrestlers and former wrestlers that are as great or greater than Ric Flair. I know there are probably several people on here who think I'm nuts to think Flair isn't the greatest, but I don't really care.

I can't believe the pop that Flair still gets around the world. Not to mention the fact that Flair is in poor shape nowadays in more ways than one. He's the kind of wrestler that when he sells a move, you wonder if he really hurt that body part or something because of how awkwardly he sells things. I have the same feeling about Terry Funk also (though I hold Funk in a lot higher regard than I do Flair). They are two of the best examples of old wrestlers who won't give it up.

Flair should have retired after his WCW days and I think I am being generous with that. It wouldn't be so bad if Flair was just a manager or something like he was for Triple H for awhile.

I think Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are better than Flair in the way that they can still "go" even though they are getting older everyday. I am still impressed with how well 'Taker looks and performs in the ring even though he's been in the WWE for almost two decades (18 years in November, to be exact).

There are a lot of wrestlers I consider the best wrestler (by physical ability or just overall) in history- Kurt Angle, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, & Curt Hennig, among others.

Edited by TPIB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this i've got to wonder what on earth you've seen of Flair or if you even understand wrestling.

Like I mentioned, I don't care what you think. It's just my opinion and yes, chief, I understand wrestling and understand it well. While a lot of Flair's career was before my time, I have seen enough footage of Flair to make that statement.

Also, I am not saying that Flair does not belong in the Hall of Fame, because he does, I just question how "great" he really is.

Guest bigmatt
You hear all the time on WWE Television about Ric Flair and his "legendary" career and things of the sort. I would like to think that I am not alone in this, but I don't really think that Flair is all that great. I know that they give the term "legend" or "veteran" to anyone who has been around for more than 10 years, but it's not just the WWE, it's all these Flair Fans that say he's the "greatest" and everything. To me, Flair has had a decent career and has had a couple of good matches, but I don't agree with the assessment that Flair is the greatest wrestler in history. He's not that great of a wrestler, he's more gimmick than anything. I may be missing something, but I think there are a lot of wrestlers and former wrestlers that are as great or greater than Ric Flair. I know there are probably several people on here who think I'm nuts to think Flair isn't the greatest, but I don't really care. I can't believe the pop that Flair still gets around the world. Not to mention the fact that Flair is in poor shape nowadays in more ways than one. He's the kind of wrestler that when he sells a move, you wonder if he really hurt that body part or something because of how awkwardly he sells things. I have the same feeling about Terry Funk also. Them are two of the best examples of old wrestlers who won't give it up. Flair should have retired after his WCW days and I think I am being generous with that. It wouldn't be so bad if Flair was just a manager or something like he was for Triple H for awhile. I think Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are better than Flair in the way that they can still "go" even though they are getting older everyday. I am still impressed with how well 'Taker looks and performs in the ring even though he's been in the WWE for almost two decades (18 years in November, to be exact). There are a lot of wrestlers I consider the best wrestler (by physical ability or just overall) in history- Kurt Angle, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, & Curt Hennig, among others.

You have got to be kidding me.Flair and Funk are both legends and I cant be bothered to explain why,judging by your post it would be a waste of time anyway.

Guest Slim Jim
Like I mentioned, I don't care what you think. It's just my opinion and yes, chief, I understand wrestling and understand it well. While a lot of Flair's career was before my time, I have seen enough footage of Flair to make that statement.

Also, I am not saying that Flair does not belong in the Hall of Fame, because he does, I just question how "great" he really is.

If you don't care what we think, then why make the post?

If you don't care what we think, then why make the post?

I make the post to see if I am the only one who has this opinion and apparently, I am.

Also, I never said Terry Funk wasn't a legend, because I am a fan of Funk and what he has done and the legacy of both him and his family, I was simply saying that both Funk & Flair don't know when to retire.

Guest Chriscare

I wasn't trying to sound like i was talking down to you. Just generally the reason people dislike Falir (yes you're not alone), is because they've just not seen enough of his older stuff or that they just don't truly understand wrestling. I'd highly reccomend getting your hands on Ric Flair and The Four Horsemen Dvd. I didn't appreciate him too much when i was younger, but once i started wrestling i grew a whole new appreciation for him, every little thing he did was gold down to the smallest detail, also after i saw that dvd i was even more impressed and wished i'd have seen him in his hay day.

Agreed though, both Funk and Flair should have retired long ago instead of tarnishing their legacy, but that's just wrestlers isn't it, if you're that good you really have to love the business, so it can be hell to leave it.

Guest bigmatt
I make the post to see if I am the only one who has this opinion and apparently, I am.

Also, I never said Terry Funk wasn't a legend, because I am a fan of Funk and what he has done and the legacy of both him and his family, I was simply saying that both Funk & Flair don't know when to retire.

Still doesnt change the fact that they are legends,carrying on in the shape they have become detracts slightly from their legacy but their legacies will both take a lot of detracting before they are not considered great,particuarly Flair.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Flair is not the best of all time at anything but was very good at everything which is why he is held in such regard IMO he was an all rounder when it tended to be one or the other, you were great in the ring or you were a great talker no-one had really blended the two like Flair did

That said I have never been that much of a fan of Flair and have never considered him the greatest ever, nor have I ever considered anyone THE greatest as wrestling has gone through so many different variations, each producing its own type of wrestler who stand out in history

Guest Chriscare
I think that why he is the best of all time. He wasn't greatest ever on the mic, nor was he the greatest ever in the ring, nor was he the greatest draw, but if you rated all 3 out of 10 and combine that with how long he was that good, i don't think anyone would rate higher. And that's what being a pro wrestler is all about, it's about being good at whole shebang, not just being amazing in one area.

Guest The Beltster

Flair is a legend and has had an amazing career filled with highs and lows. His legacy has been tarnished, however after he retires all that will be forgotten and he will be remembered as a legendary figure.

He is overrated as an in-ring performer, IMO. He isnt the greatest wrestler of all time, and his matches werent the greatest matches or all time, far from it. But he is a huge star and deserves everything he gets.

Guest Kanenite
Of course he is that great, he's phenomenal, one of the best Wrestlers ever. I haven't seen a ton of his matches but i've seen well enough to base an oppinion on how legendary he was. His talking on the mic is incredible, he oozes charisma and fails to disappoint when he picks up a mic and cuts a promo. Being one of the best Wrestlers ever and one of the best talkers ever is a combination that very few possess and in this case Ric Flair is the best.

Guest Citizen Kane
There are a lot of wrestlers I consider the best wrestler (by physical ability or just overall) in history- Kurt Angle, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, & Curt Hennig, among others.

:lol:lol:lol

But seriously, Ric Flair is brilliant. Now I'm not old enough to have seen him in his prime, and I haven't seen a lot of his old stuff, but it's clear as day to see the impact he's had on wrestling.

Guest Chriscare
:lol:lol:lol

But seriously, Ric Flair is brilliant. Now I'm not old enough to have seen him in his prime, and I haven't seen a lot of his old stuff, but it's clear as day to see the impact he's had on wrestling.

Heh, what a little sneak, sneaking Shelton benjamin in their so we'd all start thinking he was up their with the likes of all the others mentioned.

He was that great, now he's absolutley making a mockery of what was once a great career. Flair should have retired in 96'.

He's shockingly bad now, it's such a shame.

He is that great. I always think Flair is the die hard, traditional wrestling fan's icon. Where as Hogan will be the biggest star in the wrestling business, Flair will be the regarded as the greatest all round wrestler. He wasn't the best wrestler, he wasn't the best show-man, he wasn't the greatest talker ( although he comes close ), he didn't have the most charisma, and he never had the best look, but he was the best all rounder in the history of the business. He was great at anything, but he was good at just about everything, and that made him great.

I honestly believe that no body will ever have the same legacy as Flair, as much as Triple H will try, Flair will always have the greatest legacy in the eyes of wrestling fans.

Guest The Franchise

You have no clue what you are saying.

You hear all the time on WWE Television about Ric Flair and his "legendary" career and things of the sort. I would like to think that I am not alone in this, but I don't really think that Flair is all that great. I know that they give the term "legend" or "veteran" to anyone who has been around for more than 10 years, but it's not just the WWE, it's all these Flair Fans that say he's the "greatest" and everything. To me, Flair has had a decent career and has had a couple of good matches, but I don't agree with the assessment that Flair is the greatest wrestler in history. He's not that great of a wrestler, he's more gimmick than anything.

I may be missing something, but I think there are a lot of wrestlers and former wrestlers that are as great or greater than Ric Flair. I know there are probably several people on here who think I'm nuts to think Flair isn't the greatest, but I don't really care.

I can't believe the pop that Flair still gets around the world. Not to mention the fact that Flair is in poor shape nowadays in more ways than one. He's the kind of wrestler that when he sells a move, you wonder if he really hurt that body part or something because of how awkwardly he sells things. I have the same feeling about Terry Funk also (though I hold Funk in a lot higher regard than I do Flair). They are two of the best examples of old wrestlers who won't give it up.

Flair should have retired after his WCW days and I think I am being generous with that. It wouldn't be so bad if Flair was just a manager or something like he was for Triple H for awhile.

I think Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are better than Flair in the way that they can still "go" even though they are getting older everyday. I am still impressed with how well 'Taker looks and performs in the ring even though he's been in the WWE for almost two decades (18 years in November, to be exact).

You are only 19 years old. That basically means that you've seen Flair probably over the last ten years. For some of us thats over the age of 30 we've had the privilage of watching the greatest of all time perform all over the world and not "just" in the WWE.

Most wrestlers thats come along over the last 10-20 years admired and looked up to Ric Flair. And most wrestlers of all ages all wanted to become a pro wrestler because of Ric Flair. Hes influened more wrestlers for the last 25 plus years than you'll ever know. Is Ric Flair truly great? You damn right he is! Ric Flair is the greatest of all time. You son dont have a clue what you're talking about. Plain and simple.:dumb

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity