Fan Clubs (beta)

Max Payne - The Movie

DC

There has been some news on this (specifically Mark Wahlberg being cast in the title role), but things went quiet... until now.

Mila Kunis Joins Wahlberg In Max Payne

'70s Show star joins John Moore's latest

Source: Variety

10 March 2008

It's been a while since Mark Wahlberg was cast in the lead role of John Moore's Max Payne.

November, to be precise. And since then... nothing. Which, we freely admit, had us thinking a) that the project had slipped into development hell, or b) that we had dreamed the whole thing.

Not anymore. For today, Mila Kunis signed on to star alongside Wahlberg in the action thriller, based on the computer game of the same name, famous for its use of interactive bullet time.

The 24 year-old Kunis will play an assassin, hellbent on avenging her sister's death, who teams up with Wahlberg's pain-ravaged cop after he stumbles upon a conspiracy while investigating a series of murders that may or may not be linked to the loss of his family.

It's clearly going to be a laugh a minute, then. But darker fare will be a real stretch for Kunis, who's undeniably talented (and beautiful, obviously), but who has confined herself to comedies thus far on both big and small screens. She'll soon be seen in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but she made her name in That '70s Show and, more impressively, on Family Guy, where she's voiced the sardonic Meg Griffin since the show's inception.

There's no news yet on when Moore, the gregarious Irishman who directed The Omen remake and Flight Of The Phoenix, will call 'action' on Max Payne, but we expect it to be soon. Expect more casting announcements in the near future as well.

Chris Hewitt

Credit: http://www.empireonline.com

The sister in question is called Mona Sax (at least in the game) and the movie is due in October of this year.

Edited by DC

• 5 months later...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x165/dravencage/29075.jpg http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x165/dravencage/29076.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbzbWrXWiY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNbzbWrXWiY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I put a link to the teaser trailer in another thread a while ago, but since Kam has added the YouTube-y thing to the forum, here is the brand new theatrical trailer for the movie.

For those who have played the games, there is a fair amount in there that is pretty much spot-on (I got goosebumps with how close they have the scene in the bedroom where it's his wife's dead body from years ago and it shifts to the present day - that is almost exactly how the game has it).

I am looking forward to this more than any other film this year that didn't have Batman in it.

Guest Al Stevens
Well I think I know what i have planned to see later this year. Also I am really with DC with the bedroom scene. Actually makes me want to rebuy the games now :lol

Like how he seems to narrate the trailer, if it happens alot in the film then people may find it slightly annoying. But it's very true to the game. I know you should'nt go off a trailer but i have real high hopes for this, surely the best game to big screen translation we've seen thus far it just has to be.

• 1 month later...

Having been reading around (as I've been waiting for the film to be rated in the UK), I came across some interesting information.

Max Payne was originally given an R rating (the equivalent of a 15 in the UK), but some cuts were made and the film, about a month ago, was re-classified as PG-13 (12A in the UK). So, following that, you would expect the movie to have the lower rating over here as well... but that isn't the case.

Max Payne has been given a 15 rating for UK release, but that's not because they think our youths couldn't cope with the film, it's because we've been given the uncut version of the movie originally submitted.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Cool, well thats some good news then that we are getting the original rarther then the cut movie that will be released in the US, suprised they have made that decision though as I would have expected us to get the cut version and the US to show the uncut

Initial reviews are not kind.

I however can't be a judge, but i was hoping for better noises to be coming from the critics.

It's been pretty much savaged by the critics, but these are the same people who disliked Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and Silent Hill (three good game-to-movie translations), so I'm still looking forward to it.

Guest The Genetic Jackhammer

Mortal Kombat? that is one awful film that could only be liked in the 'its so bad its good' kind of way.

The 3 Resident Evils are useless tbh. Silent Hill is OKAY and obviously this is my opinion but I would say more people would agree than not agree with me and if thats not the case well then they obviously like any old crap :greets4:

Btw going to download Max Payne later...

Guest Evil Monkey
It's been pretty much savaged by the critics, but these are the same people who disliked Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil and Silent Hill (three good game-to-movie translations), so I'm still looking forward to it.

Yeah - I have to agree. I saw what Mortal Kombat was trying to do, but didn't enjoy it. Resident Evil (all 3) and Silent Hill are superb films in my opinion, so the critics haven't spoiled my anticipation for this film.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Thirteen

Agree with hardcore except for Resi 1 and 2, enjoyed them thoroughly. Especially the first one.

Seen the ads and i'm really not sure about having marky mark in that role.

Saw the ad today, have to say I was very unimpressed, esspecially with all the angels and demon like stuff in there
The games always had that type of thing around the peripherals, so it's not too "out-there" in all honesty. Besides, it may be from a Valkyre-induced nightmare rather than "real".

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Thirteen

Maxx Payne... Brilliant games, not a very good film.

They should have adapted it the way The Hitman was, which (apart from the love story angle) was a decent action film.