Fan Clubs

WWE SVR Post-2003

Guest Snid

Guest Snid

In my view, SVR started to go downhill when they turned away from the fast-paced, arcade gameplay to more clunky, time consuming controls that have now become the norm. Not only that, but as the years roll by, less and less wrestlers get included, and we end up with a selection of highly detailed stars (good packaging) yet terrible gameplay (bad delivery).

I know a lot of people will disagree, and actually like how the brand has developed, but I'm sticking to my position on this: I have come to despise the SVR franchise since HCTP, and find the latest installment (2008) particularly bad.

It's preference at the end of the day, but I certainly miss the older games. Yes, the graphics were poorer, but they were more fluid and engaging.

What do others think?

Guest Snid

Time will tell on SVR2009, but I'm skeptical at this time (until I give it a trial run).

SVR2008 even took away Control type D, which gave even less choice for the user during gameplay. '08 was the worst to date, I seriously hope it will go up, not downhill, from now on.

Guest Jayfunk
SVR2009 create a move looks sweet, but with IMPACT coming out and looking great they will have to up there game (no pun intended)

Guest Marshall Mac D
I havent enjoyed a wrestling game since smackdown 2 its not becuase the controls or anything just that wrestling games just got me bored now.

Guest Jimmy Redman
I hate, hate, HATE the new control system for SDvRaw. I like the one from Here Comes The Pain the best. Actually HCTP is probably my favourite game, although some of the SDvRaw games are alright, I think its the second one that I like the best.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I agree with Jimmy on this one HCTP was the best of the Smackdown / Smackdown vs Raw games they have done.

I was very disapointed in SDvRaw2008 it just seemed like the game was not finished when they released it which may have been the case since they rushed to remove Benoit from it and changed some things at the last min due to that, having seen some screen shots from the new PS3 version of SDvsRaw2009 the grafics look much the same as they did in the last one we shall see if the gameplay and controles improve though

Guest ScottyB

I done one season on SVR2008 and havent played it yet.

With 3 new wrestling games coming out between September 2008 and March 2009, I'm hoping at least one of them will be great.

Guest Al Stevens

I think this says how much I ended up disliking SMvR08. I traded it in for 07 and have never looked back. Personally they will have to do a hell of a lot to improve the game before I part £40 for it (however I am looking forward to Impact)

However I will agree that the last gen wrestling games Here comes the pain was the best one released on PS2.

Guest MojoPogo
I dont want that much from 2009. I want weapons to feel "real" with weight, and momentum. I want to feel like im in control of my characters storyline (even if im not), and i want the unnecessary glitches to be resolved. Also, they better have use your own music in the PS3 version this time around. Nothing they cant actually do.

The Custom Soundtrack option wasnt available for 08 on PS3 AH due to the libraries for that to be included in software available. With firmware 2.40, that is and games with patches or the feature built in will enable that.

I think todays WWE games are a more realistic take on the genre than the old games were like SmackDown 2 and whatnot. Sure they've slowed the pace and completely revamped how you play the game, but it's important to move the franchise forward.

I'd much rather have what we have now than the arcadeyness of the old SmackDown series games. I think there's more skill to it, and certain a lot more level of enjoyment from someone like myself who'd prefer to play out a more realistic match than in say SD2 where the opponents would get up to their feet instantly without any fatigue, damage or anything.

The one thing I do want them to correct (and I've said it plenty of times) is the weapons. If you look at a chairshot from HCTP and compare it to the more recent games, it's like comparing Balls Mahoney to Lance Storm. The ones in HCTP looked brutal (with the chair denting around the wrestler's skull), whereas the ones in SvR2008 were pish.

Staying on the subjects of weapons, surely they could find a way to allow you to lay a chair (for example) on the mat and then piledrive/DDT/powerbomb/etc someone onto it. It was a possibility with No Mercy on the N64 (with different weapons having different sound effects too), a console that is two-generations ago, so I can't see why it isn't possible now.

Another thing that annoyed me about last year's game was how they made it almost impossible to simply run off the ropes and come back with a clothesline or something. Dashing attacks were messed with when there was no need to do so and it really affected my style of playing the game.

I will say this though; I think the Create-a-Finisher option will be the main selling point of this year's edition.

Now if they could only give the CAW an overhaul as well, we may actually be on to something.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I agree with you alot there DC it seems the more consoles have come along the further backwards parts of the games have gone,

I am really hoping that the next SDvsRaw game atleast looks like its finished, unlike 2008 which looked half done when it was released with glitches not tested for etc

In 2008, you had to "aim" where you were running and the stick down, whereas in previous games you could just press [triangle] and you'd run directly at your opponent (or spring off the ropes). It just seemed that they made the control for that one thing more awkward for no reason.

Guest MojoPogo
Yeah, dashing was a pain in the ass. Also chokeslams still look terrible. With hands not connecting...fix it please!!1