Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

The Legacy Of Bret Hart

Kam

From Wrestling 101:

In my opinion Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart is one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time, his technique in the ring was unparalleled and he was arguably the most committed, hard-working individual in the history of the sport. At Wrestlemania 10 he put on, what is to this day, my favourite ever match, against his late brother ’The Rocket’ Owen Hart and I whole heartedly respect the professional career he has had. I mention these things because the comments I am about to make could otherwise be taken as some kind of vitriolic rhetoric aimed at taking a stab at Hart’s personality and public image...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a great wrestler, but his whiney ass antics have put me off him as a person, yes Bret, you have a point, so shaddup already!

Guest Rebekah
Agreed with that. He did great things in a wrestling ring, but sometimes he does need to shut his mouth.

Guest Jimmy Redman

I'm a little bemused by the fact that he mentions his great career, then says that his whiny paranoia tarnishes it, and neglects to mention the most famous case of whiny paranoia in wrestling history.

If I didnt know the story of Bret and read the article, I'd be dismissing the entire thing for using one (ONE!) small incident of complaining to sully an entire storied career and life.

Guest The Franchise
Agreed with that. He did great things in a wrestling ring, but sometimes he does need to shut his mouth.

Either way you cut it Bret Hart is one of the all time greats in WWE history. I mean if you guys consider Bret whiny I wonder how guys like HHH truly is behind the scenes.:greets4:

Guest The Beltster
I mean if you guys consider Bret whiny I wonder how guys like HHH truly is behind the scenes.:greets4:
What does Triple H have to do with anything? Are you saying that, because Triple H might whine backstage, that Bret Hart doesnt?! :lol

There are alot of moaners in wrestling, Bret Hart is one of the main ones.

Guest The Franchise

What does Triple H have to do with anything? Are you saying that, because Triple H might whine backstage, that Bret Hart doesnt?! :lol

There are alot of moaners in wrestling, Bret Hart is one of the main ones.

I was taking a poke at HHH considering the fact that hes married into the family that runs the company he works for Beltster. I'm sure that he whined alot over the years.

either way it goes I'm sure alot of people considered Bret a whiner. If you had to deal with a guy as crazy as Vince McMahon and lost your brother to a freak accident with the same company you would be kinda vocal too. But either way it goes Bret Hart is still one of the best thats ever graced a WWE ring. Whiny or not.:good222:

Guest Jayfunk

to be fair to bret he was a fair bit to whine about.

after his years of services to the WWF:

- he was screwed over by Vince over a contract (as show in wrestling in shadows)

- he was then screwed over the ending of the SS match in 97 when he could have dropped the belt the PPV before.

- then his younger brother is killed in the ring

- then he is injuried and forced to retire at the hands of goldberg

- then he has a stroke.

- plus is wife leaves him

- His father dies.

To be fair the last decade hasn't been that kind to the hitman has it?

as far as him as a wrestler very few people is a good, he will always be a legend

Guest Fiona
to be fair to bret he was a fair bit to whine about.

after his years of services to the WWF:

- he was screwed over by Vince over a contract (as show in wrestling in shadows)

- he was then screwed over the ending of the SS match in 97 when he could have dropped the belt the PPV before.

- then his younger brother is killed in the ring

- then he is injuried and forced to retire at the hands of goldberg

- then he has a stroke.

- plus is wife leaves him

- His father dies.

To be fair the last decade hasn't been that kind to the hitman has it?

as far as him as a wrestler very few people is a good, he will always be a legend

Post deleted due to the fact that according to some was complete rubbish and I refuse to argue about it.

Edited by Fiona

Guest The Franchise
Your last 5 points could happen to anyone. A lot of people have relatives that die and a lot of people suffer strokes and go through divorces so I don't think that is applicable in this case.

I think what is true is the way that Bret was treated by Vince back at Survivor Series in 1997. It is a well know fact that Bret refused to drop the belt in Canada and was at the time considering a contract with the WCW. Vince didn't want one of his top wrestlers who held a championship belt at the time to jump ship and go to the competition. Hence the famous Montreal Screwjob.

And it is widely known that Vince and Bret did not get along if I can use the term mildly. Vince's decision to put HBK in the ring with Bret and have HBK win with a submission hold the Sharpshooter which was Bret's signature move at the time just rubbed salt in the wound. It took years for the WWE to make amends for it with Canadian fans who were outraged at the way one of this country's best wrestler's was treated.

Even today when you mention Bret Hart here in Canada that is the first thing most fans will say that he was screwed over by the WWE. I like Bret Hart and admire the way he stood up to the company and refused to take any crap. He paid for it but you have to give him kudos for having a spine and speaking his mind, which in the WWE these days is a lost commodity.

Couldnt agree more Fiona. Good post.:-0

Guest The Beltster
I dont have a problem with Bret moaning about certain things that happened, we all moan, but to be moaning over a decade later and pretty much become known as a moaning b*stard moreso than a good wrestler is too much, he only has himself to blame. He is such a huge mark for himself, the Hitman character, that he couldnt, and cant, let it go.

I think what is true is the way that Bret was treated by Vince back at Survivor Series in 1997. It is a well know fact that Bret refused to drop the belt in Canada and was at the time considering a contract with the WCW. Vince didn't want one of his top wrestlers who held a championship belt at the time to jump ship and go to the competition. Hence the famous Montreal Screwjob.

And it is widely known that Vince and Bret did not get along if I can use the term mildly. Vince's decision to put HBK in the ring with Bret and have HBK win with a submission hold the Sharpshooter which was Bret's signature move at the time just rubbed salt in the wound. It took years for the WWE to make amends for it with Canadian fans who were outraged at the way one of this country's best wrestler's was treated.

I think you've confused opinion with fact as the majority of the points you make here are complete fiction.

Bret didn't refuse to drop the belt in Canada. He refused to drop the belt to Shawn Michaels in Canada, because HBK had refused to lose the belt to Bret at WM13. Thus Bret thought, well why should I do the same? HBK refused to lose to Bret anywhere, anyhow. So both were unprofessional, but well I could see Bret's stance, childish or not.

Bret hadn't considered a contract with WCW either. He was going. But that was Vince's decision. The year before Bret had signed a 20 year deal with Vince. But by 97 Vince couldn't afford him, so actually told Bret to go to WCW because he can't keep him around on said contract.

Thus I haven't a clue why you think the Montreal Screwjob is that. Vince knew he was going, Bret said he'd lose to anybody but HBK. But Vince claimed that if Bret didn't lose at the Survivor Series, he'd take the belt with him and show up on Nitro the following night. Which was impossible because he was contracted until December 1st. The screwjob was that they arranged a DQ finish and then Bret would either vacate or drop the belt the following night. Screwjob in that, they did a reverse sharpshooter spot, Hebner rang the bell, they got out of dodge fast.

And Vince and Bret always going along great before that, thats why Bret seemingly feels so bitter about it, because despite the fact they got along great and he did everything he asked, Vince did that to him. I'm not saying Bret's completely innocent, he was 1 of a number of unprofessional people. But on the grand scheme of things, his actions were far better than Vince or HBK or Earl Hebner.

The signature move thing wasn't to spite Bret either. It was to ensure the plan worked. I mean had they tried it on a pinfall with a fast count, Bret could have easily kicked out and it look awful.

And I'd hardly say it outraged Canadian fans for years, I mean they had a PPV there within 10 months of it happening, and it was a sell out.

So yeah you've got your wires crossed a bit there methinks.

Guest The Franchise
Your last 5 points could happen to anyone. A lot of people have relatives that die and a lot of people suffer strokes and go through divorces so I don't think that is applicable in this case.

Even today when you mention Bret Hart here in Canada that is the first thing most fans will say that he was screwed over by the WWE. I like Bret Hart and admire the way he stood up to the company and refused to take any crap. He paid for it but you have to give him kudos for having a spine and speaking his mind, which in the WWE these days is a lost commodity.

I dont have a problem with Bret moaning about certain things that happened, we all moan, but to be moaning over a decade later and pretty much become known as a moaning b*stard moreso than a good wrestler is too much, he only has himself to blame. He is such a huge mark for himself, the Hitman character, that he couldnt, and cant, let it go.

If you had a boss like Vince McMahon taking you through hell and back the way he did Bret you would most likely turn into a moaning b*stard too Beltster.:good222:

Guest bigmatt
Yeah Jungs got it spot on but just to add to that Vince and Bret did more then just get on.There was a lot of mutual respect there and Bret has said he saw Vince as a father figure.Vince had massive amounts of respect for Bret too,he was one of his favourites to watch,he admired his loyalty for not jumping ship to WCW when he was offered big money deals before and generally for being his number 1 guy in a time when buisness was down.So the Vince and Bret not getting on couldn't be further from the truth.

If you had a boss like Vince McMahon taking you through hell and back the way he did Bret you would most likely turn into a moaning b*stard too Beltster.:good222:
I would hardly describe the Montreal Screwjob as "through Hell and back".

Guest Dave7g
It was a lousy, cowardly act that ruined Bret's career on so many levels. He deserves to have a moan every now and then, who wouldn't? Plus he's done everything they asked of him since and even then people were moaning at him.

It was a lousy, cowardly act that ruined Bret's career on so many levels. He deserves to have a moan every now and then, who wouldn't? Plus he's done everything they asked of him since and even then people were moaning at him.
I don't know how you can say Bret's done everything they've (I'm assuming you mean WWE) asked of him when he blatently hasn't.

You make it sound like Bret was a poor innocent who never saw the bad man coming. Bret Hart had been in the business his entire life and knew all the political tricks. I'm not saying Vince is blameless (far from it), but Bret was also being particularly selfish with his actions as well.

Guest The Beltster
As was said, it was hardly to hell and back, that might be one of the bigger over-exaggarations I've read. He rang the bell on him to take the gold behind his back. Yes, it was underhanded, but its hardly something you shouldnt be able to get over 11 years later!

Lets put it in perspective, Bret long a pretend fight in a way where every single person in the crowd knew he didnt agree to give up, so its not like anybody believes Shawn 'beat him'. He then went on to make several million in WCW, poor old Bret, I'd feel sorry for him if it were actually anything bad.

And like I said in my original post, I can understand him being p*ssed off at the time, but over a decade later? He let that moment dictate the rest of his life upto this point, its quite pathetic.

Plus, Bret should ave just put him over and left, he allowed himself to be put in a position where they took the belt off him however they saw fit.

Guest Dave7g
If you think it's only the Montreal incident that has left bitter then you need to go back and look at what happened after that. Montreal was the catalyst to a string of tragic events that can't be simply called "bad luck". Lesser men have done themselves in at this point for half of whats happened to Hart in the last 11 years.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity