Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Steel Cage and Ladder Matches - PPV Only?

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Should Cage and Ladder matches be PPV Exclusives?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cage and Ladder matches be PPV Exclusives?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Guest DarkMatchJobber

There used to be a time when a ladder match or a cage match was a big deal and people were excited about them but these days they are churned out on free TV on a constant basis by both TNA and WWE seemingly to get a couple more points in the ratings.

What I would like to know is whether anybody would like to see these matches become exclusive to PPV thus building the hype for them a lot more?

I think ladder and cage matches can be career defining if used sparingly and on a grander stage i.e PPV

Edited by DarkMatchJobber

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Franchise

I dunno about that.

There used to be a time when a ladder match or a cage match was a big deal and people were excited about them but these days they are churned out on free TV on a constant basis by both TNA and WWE seemingly to get a couple more points in the ratings.

What I would like to know is whether anybody would like to see these matches become exclusive to PPV thus building the hype for them a lot more?

I think ladder and cage matches can be career defining if used sparingly and on a grander stage i.e PPV

Cage matches and ladder matches are indeed some of the most exciting matches you'll ever see in the WWE. Personally, I think these type of matches should happen on TNA, Raw,Smackdown,and ECW on a consistant basis as well as PPV's.

At times the ratings on a daily telecast on cable is way higher than most on a wrestling PPV. I would not want to see Ladder and cage matches become exclusive to PPV only. Not at all.:good222:

Guest Al Stevens
I would use the Cage and Ladder matches to finish feuds (for example Edge Vs Matt Hardy loser leaves Raw). So for example if there was going to be a fued finishing match for two people who wasn't ready for PPV then use them or in fact any gimmick match for that reason alone

Guest The Beltster

Yes, I think cage and ladder matches should be PPV-exclusive unless there is a REALLY good reason otherwise, such as they are running an anniversary show or something along those lines.

TV should feature angles, interviews and promos hyping the PPV along with short TV matches getting people over and a main event given a little extra time which is relevant to main storylines.

You can use the odd gimmick match on TV like lumberjack, battle royal, handicap or use stipulations like number one contender match or hair vs hair, but the ladder and specifically the cage, should be kept for PPV only, like they do with the Chamber.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
would use the Cage and Ladder matches to finish feuds (for example Edge Vs Matt Hardy loser leaves Raw).

Exactly,that match would have been much better on PPV

Personally, I think these type of matches should happen on TNA, Raw,Smackdown,and ECW on a consistant basis as well as PPV's.

But that just lessens the importance of the matches and on TV time it's a little bit pointless when you have longer to play with on PPV.

Table matches,Street Fights and Hardcore matches are okay to throw away on TV because most of them are meaningless to start with.

Guest ScottyB

I'm on the fence with this.

I can see why people want them to be PPV exclusive, but if booked properly, I can't see why they'd be a problem on TV, especially if only used sparringly.

One of my favourite ladder matches ever was Jeff Hardy Vs The Undertaker, a ladder match that occured on Raw.

Exactly,that match would have been much better on PPV.
Why would the match have been better on PPV? Simply because of the bigger stag? I personally don't think the in-ring action (or the crowd reaction) would have been any better.

Guest bigmatt
I'm on the fence with this.

I can see why people want them to be PPV exclusive, but if booked properly, I can't see why they'd be a problem on TV, especially if only used sparringly.

One of my favourite ladder matches ever was Jeff Hardy Vs The Undertaker, a ladder match that occured on Raw.

Yeah your right which is why I said 90% of the time.If worked out well with the right reasons for having it.They can be succesful.

Guest Black Knight
Yes, I think Cages and Ladder matches should be more interesting and have more hype then it does right now. I remember when there were Cage matches and you would hear about it on every single brand/show. They will advertise it too the fullest so more fans would want to see it.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Nearly all gimmick matches should be reserved for PPV unless there is a very good reason to have one on free TV, just like Belty said.

Having them on Raw, SD and ECW devalues its effect and makes it just another match rarther then something special, show them for free too much or just have them too much and they just become another match with no special attraction to it so why would you pay to see it if you've already seen it over and over for free?

Guest Rebekah
I echo whats been said in this thread really, if theres enough reason to put a gimmick match on TV then have it, but you cant just put them on willy nilly. I may be wrong here but was the last TV cage match Undertaker Batista?

Guest bigmatt
I may be wrong here but was the last TV cage match Undertaker Batista?

Triple H is ringing in a bell in my memory but I honestly cant remember.

Last cage matches on TV were Hornswoggle vs. Vince (Where JBL interfered) and the 4 on 2 Handicap match with Edge, Chavo, Edgeheads vs. HBK and Flair.

Now that I think of it, wasn't there a cage match on SD! between Batista and Undertaker like Rebekah said?

Guest Jayfunk
it would all depend on what the angle called for and if you had to blow it off early or you where building up to something bigger for example you may book two wrestlers to have a ladder match on a raw but then wrestler A's faction gets involved so at the PPV its inside a cage

Guest TheBigBoot

Yes but not so much "pay per view only", as "big match only".

By that I mean there should be a reason for these matches to happen: be it the culmination of months of feuding, because previous matches have been ruined by outside interference (so a steel cage is used to stop it), because previous matches have ended in a draw (and a ladder match for example will give a decisive winner), the fact it is one of the wrestler's trademark gimmick match (like TLC being Edge's 'gimmick match') and so it gives one of the opponents the advantage, or any other decent reason.

9 times out of 10 I would say it should be used as he blow-off match to a feud, the reason being that I think it makes them seem more special if you know you are going to: 1. Get a decisive winner of the feud; 2. This will be the last match of their feud (for now at least). Therefore a cage or ladder match becomes something important.

The one WWE have done things right with at the moment is Hell In The Cell which brings with it a sense of closure since it is normally the end of whichever feud it is used in (Foley/HHH, HHH/Batista, Undertaker/Orton, DX/McMahons, etc.).

Guest Rebekah

Now that I think of it, wasn't there a cage match on SD! between Batista and Undertaker like Rebekah said?

Yeah, last May. It was the same match where Edge cashed in MITB

Guest bigmatt
Yeah, last May. It was the same match where Edge cashed in MITB

There has been a few since then hasn't there?

I remember a Vince vs Triple H one where Vince was the first person to beat him since his return.

There was Jeff vs Umaga which definetly had it's purpose,I have no problem with that one.

There must be a couple more.

Guest Rebekah
There has been a few since then hasn't there?

I remember a Vince vs Triple H one where Vince was the first person to beat him since his return.

There was Jeff vs Umaga which definetly had it's purpose,I have no problem with that one.

There must be a couple more.

I know theres been a couple more now, i was just telling him when the Taker Batista match took place. And yeah.

Triple H vs Carlito and Vince

Vince vs Hornswoggle

Flair and Michaels vs La Familia

Jeff vs Umaga

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity