Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

The 100 Greatest Angles

Guest Jung

Nominate an angle to go in the top 100.

Being the starter of the thread here is mine.

Lucifer, Jake Roberts' cobra biting Randy Savage on Superstars. Even to this day it still looks gross, and the whole craziness and "aahhh" factor around the angle is still something to behold.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

Following on from Lucifer biting Macho I will add:

Earthquake squashing Damian

Man I was almost in tears when that happened on TV, I was calling out for Jake to stop him and Quake not to do it but he did anyway :(

Guest Dave7g
Nominate an angle to go in the top 100.

Being the starter of the thread here is mine.

Lucifer, Jake Roberts' cobra biting Randy Savage on Superstars. Even to this day it still looks gross, and the whole craziness and "aahhh" factor around the angle is still something to behold.

Was Lucifer not the big fat yellow snake he brought out after Earthquake squashed a big bag of sausages (Damien)?

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Was Lucifer not the big fat yellow snake he brought out after Earthquake squashed a big bag of sausages (Damien)?
Now I think of it yes it was, the Cobra didn't have a name if I remember rightly, the albino Python was Lucifer like you say Dave

Guest MojoPogo
For me, the most shocking thing i've ever seen was Hogan going heel. Im not even a Hogan fan, and this absolutely rocked my world at the time. EVERYONE of my mates, wrestling, non-wrestling and their mums was talking about it. Ah. Original NWO...some good, good memories there.

Yes sorry that's right it was the bigger python...the cobra was the one which bit Randy Savage.

So yes lol Earthquake squashed Damien, the python, and later made "quake-burgers".

Guest Rebekah

Acute angle....come on, someone had to do it

Also someone needs to put the vid of Earthquake squashing Damien up.

Also the Love triangle angle between Jericho/Trish/Christian was good while it lasted.

Guest Black Knight

One of the greatest angles has got to be the Orton/Taker angle in 2005. Both superstars have had some good matches begining at Wrestlemania 21 and ending in the Hell in a Cell match at Armageddon. When I first seen the rival between the two, I never thought that it would turn out to be such a great one.

Another good angle was the love triangle between Stephanie Mcmahon/Triple H/Kurt Angle. I don't know too much about the whole angle but I seen a couple of promos and youtube videos. Its a shame that the annouce table broke while Triple H and Kurt Angle was in the air.

Edited by Black Knight

Guest The Beltster
No, Lucifer was just a much much larger version of Damien. The big yellow one was Revelations, who he had with him when he returned in 1996.

As for my angle, man its hard to pick one, so I'll go for Hulk/Andre and the meltdown of the Mega Powers. Both were awesome, and the Mega Powers one took well over a year.

-The Murdoch/DiBiase double turn from Mid South is unbelievably good but probably hasn't been seen by a huge amount of people on here. It’d take me a while to explain the months of set up to the angle but it involves a combination of Butch Reed, Ted DiBiase, Dick Murdoch and then the NWA World Title. I haven't watched the tape in a while where they went over the build to the angle itself but basically Murdoch feels slighted and overlooked by Mid South as Reed and DiBiase are getting title shots before him when he feels he's more deserving.

DiBiase, a heel at the time, gets a shot at Flair's World Title when Flair comes into the area and Murdoch, a babyface at the time, is jealous and whatnot. Murdoch hits the ring before the match, thinks he deserves a shot at the belt, DiBiase says it’s his time so Murdoch lays him out with the greatest right hand in wrestling history and rams his head into the ringpost busting him wide open. DiBiase comes out a little later on in the show bandaged up and still wrestles Flair for the title while the blood is pouring down his face and ends up losing valiantly by count out, basically getting the fans on his side. Murdoch comes out again after the match, gives him the Brainbuster on the floor, injuring DiBiase's neck, DiBiase becomes the top babyface in the territory, Murdoch becomes the top heel. They feud. It rules.

Edited by Naitch

Sting/Hogan. The pay-off was sad in many ways, but the build-up was so incredibly awesome that I'm still in awe that anyone was so smart to have come up with it.

Hogan turns heel for the first time in a decade or so, and starts declaring war on WCW. Everyone expects that WCW mainstay Sting is disloyal to the company and may be about to join the NWO, and he himself is annoyed at what is going on anyway, so he goes away for a bit and comes back a bit later with longish black hair and black and white face paint akin to Eric Draven of The Crow.

From then on, Sting teases his alliegence, attacking anyone who questions his loyalty in promos and appearing in both the crowd and the ring to offer people the chance to hit him with his back turned. The NWO claim he's joining them and even give him an NWo shirt and small ring party. He eventually turns on them all, refuses a WCW contract and goes on a year-long bender of just appearing from out of nowhere and kicking ass left right and centre, just because he's Sting and can do that if he wants. He doesn't utter a single word, or wrestle a single match. He comes out and the crowd goes crazy. He raises his bat and the roof is blown right off the arena. He smiles for the first time in a year and Tony Schiavone has the greatest heart attack in the history of our sport. It was perfect. NWO attack people, crowd chants "we want Sting", Sting comes out when he feels it necessary, beats up everyone like they are small children, and Hogan runs away like a broken man who just saw his divorce papers for the first time.

It's just a shame it ended as bad as it did.

Guest Jericho123
Survivor Series 98 Deadly Game stands out for me, the angle took place over the 3 Hour PPV. The crowd were backing the Rock to take the title all night, the fans were gutted when he turned heel in the last match, great WWF story telling.

I really liked the Triple H & Chyna turn-and-swerve from Wrestlemania XV.

Chyna (who was with The Corporation) turned on Kane (also aligned with them) to rejoin Triple H (part of DX).

Later on in the card, when Shane was facing X-Pac, they came out and turned on X-Pac as both joined The Corporation.

Guest TheBigBoot
No, Lucifer was just a much much larger version of Damien. The big yellow one was Revelations, who he had with him when he returned in 1996.

As for my angle, man its hard to pick one, so I'll go for Hulk/Andre and the meltdown of the Mega Powers. Both were awesome, and the Mega Powers one took well over a year.

That's right and I seem to remember when Jake debuted Lucifer on an episode of The Barber Shop, he called Lucifer "Damien's big brother".

I was going to say the whole year-long deal with the Mega-Powers but its already been done and some good picks, here (partic. Murdoch/DiBiase and the Deadly Game tourney) so I'll go with:

Jim Cornette gets a phone call OR The Original Midnight Express joins the NWA: I'll write a quick recap before I describe the angle for those not familiar with 80s NWA, but basically in early 1987 The Midnight Express consisting of 'Beutiful' Bobby Eaton and 'Loverboy' Dennis Condrey came to an end when Condrey disappeared without giving any notice to anyone - his partner, his manager (Jim Cornette), the company, and even his wife. With Condrey gone he was replaced by 'Sweet' Stan Lane and the new version of the team went on to NWA United States Tag Team Titles and the NWA World Tag Team Titles. Meanwhile, Condrey turned up in the AWA teaming with Randy Rose as the Original Midnight Express managed by Paul E. Dangerously.

In November 1988, Jim Cornette was doing commentary during a Stan Lane squash match when he received a phone call (from Paul E. although the viewers don't know that) mocking Cornette over his team losing the NWA Tag Titles to The Road Warriors. Corny told him to come and say it to his face.

The next thing you know The Original Midnights jumped The Midnights from behind, Condrey hit Eaton with that Full-Nelson move that Chris Jericho later called 'The Breakdown'... on the concrete, Rose hit Lane with a brain buster in the ring and Heyman blasted Cornette with the trademark 1980s mobile phone causing Cornette to perform the blade job of the decade all over his white suit (afterwards he would carry around the bloody jacket). Just a brilliant way to introduce a new team and set up a feud.

And if you haven't seen it, the here it is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mQCsoX3SmVU

Edited by TheBigBoot

Heyman reviving ECW during the invasion, complete with "Tribe of Extreme" promo

Bischoff doing the Billy and Chuck wedding - the Three Minute line especially.

Test-Stephanie-HHH. Genius.

Tommy Dreamer vs. Raven in ECW, the whole damn thing.

Guest Jimmy Redman

A few recent-er ones to go along with.

Trish Stratus and Mickie James - The whole thing from Mickie's debut until Trish's and Beth's injuries. Best Divas angle I've ever seen, and I know a lot about Divas.

Matt Hardy and MVP - Fun fun fun, it was the highlight of Smackdown for about 6 months. Brilliant build, unfortunate injury, disappointing end.

Guest Dave7g

I loved the Megapowers exploding, it was the first time (then) that I ever heard a wrestler "swear". I think it was Hogan who was helping Liz out to the back, shouting "Oh Jesus Christ". It was one of my first glimpses at an "angle" as it played out. Then Savage went balls to the wall on Hogan in the back! Pure class.

I also loved the Horesemen breaking each and every limb that Big Dust ever had to his name, for the sake of the 'Biness'. The matches that followed were brilliant too. Dusty is very underrated in my opinion.

Guest The Beltster
I loved the Megapowers exploding, it was the first time (then) that I ever heard a wrestler "swear". I think it was Hogan who was helping Liz out to the back, shouting "Oh Jesus Christ". It was one of my first glimpses at an "angle" as it played out. Then Savage went balls to the wall on Hogan in the back! Pure class.
It had the first memorable interaction outside of the ring between Hogan and Bret Hart, and Hogan and HBK about 4-5 seconds apart too. That episode of SNME was top notch.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity