Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Drugs in the WWE?

Kam

From Wrestling 101:

In November 2005 professional wrestling in America got the wake up call that had been coming for years. World Wrestling Entertainment lost one of its biggest talents in Eddie Guerrero from heart failure brought on from drug abuse years earlier...

Drugs in the WWE?

:xyx

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rebekah
If action is not taken it won’t be long before the wrestling world suffers another young tragic death.

It has improved (pretty much by force) to the point where the wellness policy is being used well. I mean, it is sad that it took a death of a high profile wrestler to make it come in. It should really have always been there.

Guest Fiona
It has improved (pretty much by force) to the point where the wellness policy is being used well. I mean, it is sad that it took a death of a high profile wrestler to make it come in. It should really have always been there.

I agree. With the death of Eddie Guerrero and the subsequent Benoit tragedy the WWE has had no choice but to wake up to the fact that drug use in the WWE has to be stopped. My feeling is that if a person has to take drugs in order to do well at their sport then why are they there in the first place.

We see it all the time at the Olympics and in other well known competitions and it cheapens the medals and other achievements if the participant is found to be using a performance enhancing substance. The question is knowing that they will be tested it is amazing to see the amount of professional and amateur athletics that still persist in doing using them.

If I hear of someone being suspended for using drugs it takes them down a peg or two in my eyes.

Guest bigmatt
The article is a bit weak and flimsy.It's basically just an extended "please keep drugs out of wrestling" line,without any real depth.

Guest The Franchise

I'm sure drugs and pro wrestling has been going hand in hand for decades. Just recently its become totally visible once again thrusted into the spotlight with the early departure of the late Eddie Guerrerro and the tragedy of late Chris Benoit.

I mean think about it: You're on the road non-stop for most of a year, you hardy get to see your family, at times you're nursing injuries,you have to work out constantly, you dont always eat the best food;etc. When you put all that together does it really come as a surprise that a pro wrestler would turn to a drug to relax themselves from time to time? No it shouldnt.

I'm sure that drugs has been in the WWE for a very long time. Let us not forget the steroid scandel back in the day that involved Hulk Hogan & The Ultimate Warrior having to come to court and testify on behalf of Vince McMahon. At this point I feel thats their business. Long as its not effecting their performance in the ring more power to them.

I mean they are putting their lives on the back burner in order to travel around the world trying to entertain the people as well as make a living. So if drugs are a part of their lives who are we to judge them? Does it make it right? What do you guys think? :sml7:

Guest Al Stevens
The sad thing is regardless how people stand within the use of drugs (regardless if it's steroids, coke, weed, crack cocaine ect) wrestlers around the world (ok might not be a big problem in the UK scene however i am sure that DC or Saz would correct me if i am wrong), however there will never be a clear cut way of dealing with it because people do party and want to try new stuff or they need it to help have there body relax after hurting there bodies.

Guest Fiona

Long as its not effecting their performance in the ring more power to them.

I mean they are putting their lives on the back burner in order to travel around the world trying to entertain the people as well as make a living. So if drugs are a part of their lives who are we to judge them? Does it make it right? What do you guys think? :sml7:

But it is affecting their performance in the ring. Some of these guys have bodies that only we could ever wish to have and steroids and human growth hormones help them along. These drugs make them physically stronger so taking them gives them the edge. I could be wrong but that's what I have read please correct me if the information isn't right.

As for long hours and lots of travel. These wrestlers know what they are getting into when they sign up for the job. I'm sure they don't go into it with their eyes shut. The WWE puts on shows in different cities all over the world so it would be natural that some sort of travel would be involved. You can't start complaining about something when you know what your getting into in the first place.

Some of these guys make a lot of money and I think they live pretty good lives if you saw the episode of Cribs with Batista, he wasn't living in a cardboard box.

You ask who are we to judge them I'll tell you. We are the parents of kids who look up to some of these wrestlers as role models. We are the ones who pay a lot of money to take our kids to the shows and buy the merchandise. We are the ones who don't expect more than what they are willing and able to give. But we as parents also don't expect that in order to stay on top and earn our kids adoration they resort to drugs.

Sorry went on a bit of a rant there.

Guest The Franchise

Its cool Fiona. That was actually good stuff you said there.

But it is affecting their performance in the ring. Some of these guys have bodies that only we could ever wish to have and steroids and human growth hormones help them along. These drugs make them physically stronger so taking them gives them the edge. I could be wrong but that's what I have read please correct me if the information isn't right.

As for long hours and lots of travel. These wrestlers know what they are getting into when they sign up for the job. I'm sure they don't go into it with their eyes shut. The WWE puts on shows in different cities all over the world so it would be natural that some sort of travel would be involved. You can't start complaining about something when you know what your getting into in the first place.

Some of these guys make a lot of money and I think they live pretty good lives if you saw the episode of Cribs with Batista, he wasn't living in a cardboard box.

You ask who are we to judge them I'll tell you. We are the parents of kids who look up to some of these wrestlers as role models. We are the ones who pay a lot of money to take our kids to the shows and buy the merchandise. We are the ones who don't expect more than what they are willing and able to give. But we as parents also don't expect that in order to stay on top and earn our kids adoration they resort to drugs.

Sorry went on a bit of a rant there.

Food for thought indeed. Good post Fiona.:greets4:

Guest Aholda
I know 3 WWE wrestlers who hit a pipe (ganja) every now and then. It doesn't seem to affect their performance in the ring. They still get the job done and still are over, well, 2 out of 3 are over. But on the whole, they do it for fun, probably have been for years and just enjoy it.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

90% of WWE wrestlers and I expect staff or on some sort of illegal drug outside of Roids or HGH I expect, there is plenty of people who line up to tell of the copious amounts of illegal activity that goes on in wrestling be it WWE or a lesser known companies.

WWE is not interested in getting roids out of its company, the Wellness Policy is a publicity excerise to show they actually are trying to so something and give them a nice glowing light of praise and to protect themselves against deaths of their wrestlers after the negative responce they got from Eddie dying in his hotel room. If all the heat died down today and roids was not being investigated in MLB etc the policy would be scaled back or finished by the end of the year, just like it was scaled back before the Benoit stuff happened and the roids spotlight once again fell on WWE hard.

No-one will ever get drugs out of wrestling the whole buisness from the begining was run on the back of drugs and be it 1908 or 2008 they will always be there simple as that really, Vince has no intention of ridding his company of them nor does anyone else really.

Guest Dave7g
According to Alvarez and Meltzer, the likes of HHH, Cena, Taker and the rest of the "untouchables" will never be caught by the wellness programme, it simply doesn't apply to them.

Guest devilsplaygirl
I know 3 WWE wrestlers who hit a pipe (ganja) every now and then. It doesn't seem to affect their performance in the ring. They still get the job done and still are over, well, 2 out of 3 are over. But on the whole, they do it for fun, probably have been for years and just enjoy it.

i heard of one, not naming who out loud...

Randy Orton

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Greatest thread title ever Kam..........:lol

It's almost a sarcastic question instead of a serious one.

The result of being overworked is countless amounts of wrestler’s deaths well before the age of fifty. These include big names such as Curt Hennig, Chris Benoit, Brian Pillman and Davey Boy Smith. The result for McMahon by working these men like a Grand National horse is a multimillion dollar company that reaches over a billion fans on TV around the world each week.
This is pretty close to sensationalistic reporting I'd expect from FOX News.

Overworked? McMahon forced these men to work the schedules? They could walk at any time, and the schedule was a lot heavier in the early days than it was during the later years of those guys' careers.

Also, on another tangent, Vince McMahon wasn't the only promotor who ran a heavy schedule... but then, that would take the gloss off the anti-McMahon slant to the article. ;)

Guest Aholda
i heard of one, not naming who out loud...

Randy Orton

I don't know him personally. I have a couple friends who have smoked with 2 WWE wrestlers and me and some friends partied with one a year or so ago and hit a piece with him.

Guest Dave7g
This is pretty close to sensationalistic reporting I'd expect from FOX News.

Overworked? McMahon forced these men to work the schedules? They could walk at any time, and the schedule was a lot heavier in the early days than it was during the later years of those guys' careers.

Also, on another tangent, Vince McMahon wasn't the only promotor who ran a heavy schedule... but then, that would take the gloss off the anti-McMahon slant to the article. ;)

You would defend Vince McMahon no matter what, for reasons that are beyond comprehension. Surely after years, and years of not only stories and books referencing him, but hard facts too, even you must admit that McMahon is a tyranical egomaniac, and always will be.

You would attack Vince McMahon no matter what, for reasons that are beyond comprehension.
Edited to show that the comment can go both ways. Besides, I have said negative things about McMahon when I felt it was warranted.

I'm not saying he's not a tyrant to work for (although I wouldn't personally know), but he certainly wasn't the only one. And I also stand by my comment about the wrestlers being able to quit rather than work the schedules (as some wrestlers have done in the past).

You make mention about all the stories from ex-WWE employees, but do you not think that maybe, just maybe, the truth has been exaggerated just a little? Take Kurt Angle's recent comment about WWE overworking him, even though they wanted him to take some time off and had to release him to make sure he did (and after that, "overworked" Kurt didn't take a rest and went to work for another company as soon as he could).

Edited by DC

Exactly. Vince is probably a tyranical egomaniac. But I imagine 3/4 of the people who work for him are egomanics themselves, who'll tell countless tall tales in order to make their plight seem more worthwhile, to justify their own misgivings, and put themselves over.

So it swings both ways. As shown, for all the guys who've called Vince crazy and over the top, most of them would still go back to work the same time for the same money.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity