Fan Clubs

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Stars from yester-year who could mean something today

Guest Jung

Stemming from a conversation in the ECW TV Thread concering a quite wonderful idea of having Slick with Tony Atlas and Mark Henry, I ask you all this question.

Which performers from the past could you see working well with someone, in today's WWE?

For example...

Would Jimmy Hart be a great fit for Rhodes and Dibiase?

Should Arn Anderson be back on TV, talking for some young buck?

How about some old school tag wrestlers like Marty Jannety team up with younger stars?

It doesn't have to necessarily be ideas, perhaps wishes like people who are now dead or retired, fitting into today's WWE.

Just throw out your wrestling fantasy's, and say what you could wish for in today's WWE.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Heenan could work with anyone and create magic IMO.

An up-to-date version of The Heenan Family:

Mark Henry

Triple H

Randy Orton

Rhodes & DiBiase

Shelton Benjamin

Guest Nemesis Enforcer

I agree DC, Heenan communicating through a chalk board (which is all he can do right now due to jaw surgery) would still be more of an asset to some of the current WWE lot then him not being there

I'd love to see Jimmy Hart back personally and put with someone like Kozlov, I don't like the guy at all (Kozlov) but WWE seem adimant he is staying so atleast give him a manager who can get him over such as Jimmy Hart

I made a point recently about WWE bringing in green wrestlers and they're working with other green wrestlers most of the time and how they need more Fit Finlays and stuff to be the mechanics on the roster. So they should really just bring in some of the old sons of bitches who were real good wrestlers in their time and are still working the indies and stuff (obviously I'm not talking anything too embarrassing like bringing in 108 year old Abdullah or some sh*t, just the wrestlers who were good solid guys in their day and can still relatively go). I mean I think they brought in Brad Armstrong and then didn't ever use him. Doesn't even have to be on TV, just throw them out there on house shows with their soon-to-be-debuting-on-TV green wrestlers and let them work with a Brad Armstrong or a Marty Jannetty (making his 178th return to the WWE and probably fired a week later but still). Come to think of it, can Tully Blanchard still go? Edited by Naitch

Guest The Beltster

Tully Blanchard blew NWA Champ Jeff Jarrett up a couple years back in his first match in years, I've no doubt he can still go, BUT Blanchard would be much more valuable as a mouth piece, that guy could talk. I'd love to see Blanchard come in with a nice suit and Rolex and manage DiBiase when he goes it alone, that would be awesome.

Slick was still as good as ever a year or so ago when he appeared on RAW. Heenan I dont think should be brought back, he looks too frail and sounds awful.

Sherri would have been great but for obvious reasons thats not possible. Flair is too big of a star to manage anybody, same goes for Hogan or Austin, they would overshadow everybody.

Its amazing though when they have guys like Michael Hayes, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Fit Finlay, Dusty Rhodes, Mick Foley and so on on their books and the majority aren't being used to teach. Not to mention they've had Jannety, Eaton, Blanchard, Dibiase and others around at other times and barely utilised them either.

Then you see a lot of guys get to TV and look completely out of their depth ala Kozlov and so on. Just makes you think "how is this happening?"

Heenan I dont think should be brought back, he looks too frail and sounds awful.
My bad (as they say), I thought it was using them in their prime with the wrestlers of today.

My bad (as they say), I thought it was using them in their prime with the wrestlers of today.

It can be if you want, as I said go for whatever you want. Wishes that can't come true, or actual ideas you would want to see implemented.

The fact is I'm sure the majority of us would love to see old school managers brought back to WWE today, simply because a lot of guys can wrestle, but can't talk for toffee.

Matt Striker was doing his best to bring back the old-school ideal (especially when he had Henry and BDV as a team).

I'd have kept him with the two monsters, added someone like Shelton Benjamin and perhaps another wrestler (male and/or female) to create a nice little stable.

Guest MastersGonads
Its amazing though when they have guys like Michael Hayes, Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Fit Finlay, Dusty Rhodes, Mick Foley and so on on their books and the majority aren't being used to teach

All the above mentioned bar Flair are Road Agents, as well as the like's of IRS

All the above mentioned bar Flair are Road Agents, as well as the like's of IRS

I know, but surely they have the time to teach some people things BEFORE they get shoved on TV, or perhaps spend more time with the guys who are inexperienced.

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Firstly a great thread idea:xyx

Dean Malenko - I'd make him the manager/agent for a new cruiserweight whose in-ring style is serious,technical and calculated just like Malenko's was.

The newcomer could even be given the 'Iceman' nickname in an elaborate ceremony by Malenko who would say he has watched the division go downhill for years and has had enough (say the belt is being brought back) and is adamant that the new cruiserweight champion thus cornerstone of the division will not be an Emo rocker,a goth,an asian cowboy or anything that mocks the sport of professional wrestling.

Maybe someone like Bryan Danielson would be ideal? Once done with elevating the cruiser title Danielson and Malenko could then move up to U.S title and then World with the constant emphasis being on bringing respect and honor back to the belts.

Sid - Before you laugh let's be sensible and admit he obviously can't do much in the ring anymore but for the sake of a chokeslam or a powerbomb I'd love to see Sid return as a bodyguard for someone like MVP or Kennedy.

Guest Jayfunk

i am in two minds about road agents, yes they have talent and are needed for wwe tv but it doesn't help the wrestlers learn to work if an agent is working on there match for them.

the best way to learn imho is for the green stars to work with the older talent in the ring. if they didn't want to do it on tv they could do it at house shows or down in fcw

as for talent to bring back, i can't think of one that would improve things enough to justifly the tv time unless they were an active wrestler.

Guest MastersGonads
I know, but surely they have the time to teach some people things BEFORE they get shoved on TV, or perhaps spend more time with the guys who are inexperienced.

i am in two minds about road agents, yes they have talent and are needed for wwe tv but it doesn't help the wrestlers learn to work if an agent is working on there match for them.

To address both quotes. You may know, this so please dont take it as me being patronising or condescending, but the agents arent just there to work on matches etc. They act as parents on the road for many of the wrestlers. I am sure there is numerous times, when agents have helped many of the stars from getting themselves into situations that would let the company down.

As for teaching the stars, by the time they reach television they are expected to be ready, do the agents offer advice? Very much so...but this is in part, the duty of OVW and FCW, Its up to the head booker down there to say whether he thinks a wrestler is ready for television. Everyone starts green, its just with the loss of the smaller promotions, where stars would cut it on local television, when your pushed from OVW, you have to be ready for worldwide television. I am guessing some are greener than others, and some take time to adjust. On numerous times, I have seen DC say on here watch Marella as Alexiv for how good he was as a shoot fighter, or Delaney as the cocky heel. I suppose again it lends to how stars are being booked, and thus creative....

But then, for proof of the work as an agent, look at Dave Finlay. Candice Michelle and Kelly Kelly both dramtically improved under his tutilige...

To address both quotes. You may know, this so please dont take it as me being patronising or condescending, but the agents arent just there to work on matches etc. They act as parents on the road for many of the wrestlers. I am sure there is numerous times, when agents have helped many of the stars from getting themselves into situations that would let the company down.

As for teaching the stars, by the time they reach television they are expected to be ready, do the agents offer advice? Very much so...but this is in part, the duty of OVW and FCW, Its up to the head booker down there to say whether he thinks a wrestler is ready for television. Everyone starts green, its just with the loss of the smaller promotions, where stars would cut it on local television, when your pushed from OVW, you have to be ready for worldwide television. I am guessing some are greener than others, and some take time to adjust. On numerous times, I have seen DC say on here watch Marella as Alexiv for how good he was as a shoot fighter, or Delaney as the cocky heel. I suppose again it lends to how stars are being booked, and thus creative....

But then, for proof of the work as an agent, look at Dave Finlay. Candice Michelle and Kelly Kelly both dramtically improved under his tutilige...

I just think when you have road agents who are amongst the finest wrestlers and talkers of their generation it seems crazy IMO to use them as babysitters and occassional advice bearers. Its like employing Nigel Mansell in your F1 team to do your left front tyre changing.

I'm going to try to stray from fantasy as it encourages the easy options. It's too easy to say, "I reckon Bobby Heenan in his prime should manage Batista, John Cena, Hulk Hogan and Legion of Doom". They're all great superstars.

I'm going to focus on a star or two who if brought back tomorrow, could benefit the product of today.

Brooklyn Brawler - Firstly I'd give this old beaut a contract and make him a tough-talking yet in reality a sneaky heel manager, and put him in charge of Domino. I might even then bring Charlie Hass in to the fold and have those two wrestle under the guidance of an old git who's ringtime elapses most of the current roster.

I think Brawler would be a natural. He's still young enough, many people will know who he is and if they don't, then he's got personality enough to get himself over with the crowd, whilst promoting two young, decent wrestlers who could do with some personality.

I'd also look to bring back Ken Shamrock as I feel that old horse could definitely bring some much-needed fighting cred to the product. Maybe you could use him with Randy Orton somehow, as legit - Shamrock could still interfere in big-time matches.

Imagine Shamrock dragging Undertaker out of the ring and beating the bejebus out of him during a title fight vs Orton at Summerslam. It's not diffucult to imagine.

Cheers!

Guest Jayfunk
Ken Shamrock

what now? he is about as tough as kelly kelly these days, he always seems to loss in ufc and other mma promotions, past his prime.

but hey this is casual wrestling fans were talking about have memories like gold fish so what the heck bring him back

Edited by Jayfunk

Guest The Beltster
but hey its wwe were talking about there fans have memories like gold fish so what the heck bring him back
Bit of an insulting blanket statement isnt it? Thats like me saying all TNA fans are happy watching low budget, small time crap...

Guest Jayfunk
Bit of an insulting blanket statement isnt it? Thats like me saying all TNA fans are happy watching low budget, small time crap...

edited, also you would be wrong

TNA is low-budget and small-time though. Sure, they're the biggest of the other promotions, but that doesn't stop them being small time. Running all the TV shows from one place is small-time and always will be. Edited by DC