Fan Clubs

Ghostbusters possibly getting cancelled

Guest The Beltster

Guest The Beltster
Activision Drops Several Vivendi Games

The fate of Ghostbusters, Brütal Legend, WET and more in danger.

by Narayan Pattison, IGN AU

Australia, July 29, 2008 - Activision today announced that it will be retaining a handful of Vivendi Games' franchises that are a "strong fit with its long-term strategy". The games that have been confirmed as being added to Activision's stable include the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon and Ice Age franchises, as well as Prototype and "a second new IP that has not been announced as of yet."

The downside of this announcement is that other Vivendi Games (namely Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Brütal Legend, WET, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and World in Conflict: Soviet Assault) are not being kept by Activision. "Activision will not publish other titles that were part of Vivendi Games' portfolio, and it is currently reviewing its options regarding these games" is all Activision would say on the matter when we talked to their Australian PR representative. However, a US spokesperson for Ghostbusters has gone on the record for the title, saying that "the game is absolutely not cancelled."

The news was even more grim for Vivendi Games Mobile and Sierra Online, which were described as "non-strategic business units".

Whether Ghostbusters, Brütal Legend and the rest of the discarded Vivendi games are sold off to new publishers or cancelled outright remains to be seen but it's likely to be a rocky future for these titles.

Credit IGN.com

Nightmare! I'm looking forward to Ghostbusters!

Fear not, Belster, the third installment of Ghostbusters, albeit in video game format, is still set to hit shelves this September. A sierra spokesman made an official comment that although the came of Blizzard titles had missed off the most wanted game in perhaps the history of gaming, that Activision would still be releasing the ghostbusters video game.

If you happen to head over to the official Ghostbusters Video game website, Activision have already taken over it and redesigned it.

Agreed. I was worried when I browsed my regular source of info (That's IGN.com btw for the unlearned among us). But thankfully I delved a little deeper into it and found the Sierra comment that the game was definetly gonna be released.

Guest Da Showstoppa

If you happen to head over to the official Ghostbusters Video game website, Activision have already taken over it and redesigned it.

And would you please furnish us with a link?

Latest from IGN.com

UK, August 7, 2008 - Fret not those who shed a tear upon the news that Activision was unceremoniously dumping the promising looking Ghostbusters, as the game's developers have reiterated that the game will be published.

Activision dropped several high profile games late last month as a part of its acquisition of Sierra, the most high profile of which was certainly Ghostbusters: The Video Game, a title that carries directly on from the last film and is being penned by the original cast members. With such cache in the Ghostbusters' licence, it's seemed fairly certain that the game would be picked up, and Variety recently reported that the game could 'potentially' be released to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the original film's release next year.

Further confirmation that the game will indeed see the light of day came from Mark Randel of the games developer's Terminal Reality, who told videogaming247 that, "Ghostbusters will be published", before giving the ambiguous caveat, "That's all I can say at the moment".