Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

SmackDown Discussion Thread - 15th August 2008

Guest FreeSpirit

What Did You Think of SmackDown #470?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What Did You Think of SmackDown #470?

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Guest FreeSpirit

Preview:

Venue:

The Scope Arena - Norfolk, Virginia

TV Schedule:

UK: Sky Sports 3 at 10pm

USA: The CW at 8/7c

Over The Edge

15th August 2008

Just one week after Mick Foley paid dearly for awaking a sadistic cruelty in Edge, the Master Manipulator unleashed his calculated fury on Chavo Guerrero and his wife, General Manager Vickie Guerrero.

The Rated-R Superstar flipped Guerrero out of her wheelchair and proceeded to scream that he would take them all to hell. Could Edge’s new-found rage give him the support he needs to survive Hell in a Cell against Undertaker at SummerSlam?

In the midst of their unprecedented Indian Broken Glass Arm Wrestling Contest, No. 1 contender to the WWE Championship, The Great Khali, applied his vicious Vise Grip to Triple H, sending a message that "The Game" is over. After demonstrating that executing his patented Pedigree on Khali could be anatomically impossible, how will The Cerebral Assassin successfully defend his gold against the Punjabi Giant at the Biggest Blockbuster of the Summer?

Once again, Montel Vontavious Porter battered his SummerSlam opponent Jeff Hardy, this time during Hardy’s non-title match against United States Champion Shelton Benjamin. Although MVP attacked his adversary for the second time in a week, could it be Hardy who brings the final Twist of Fate?

The undefeated Vladimir Kozlov is demanding a better class of competition. After making short of Jesse, could the Moscow Mauler find what he seeks in the corn-fed colossus, Festus?

And with advisor Ezekiel Jackson providing a hefty distraction at ringside, The Brian Kendrick picked up yet another victory over Super Crazy. With Jackson becoming such a decisive factor in The Kendrick's matches, will anybody be able to stand in his way?

Find out the answers to these questions and more on the next Friday Night SmackDown at 10pm on Sky Sports 3![/Quote]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FreeSpirit

Spoilers:

Credit:

wrestlezone.com

* Jim Ross and Tazz make their way out to the announcers table.

* The video opener is shown followed by a pyro.

* United States Championship Match: Jeff Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin

- The match is pretty much back and forth throughout. The crowd is fully behind Hardy. Hardy goes for a Swanton and MVP interferes and knocks him off causing the match to end via Disqualification. Twist of Fate followed by a Swanton on MVP & Shelton.

* Vickie is backstage with Victoria. Vickie is worried about The Undertaker showing up. She begins to cry...

* Maryse & Natalya b. Michelle McCool & Maria

- Slow match... Natalya gets the win after pinning McCool.

* A Make a Wish video package is shown.

* Kendrick (accompanied by Zeek) comes out and cuts a promo. Scotty Goldman comes out and stars a match.

* Kendrick b. Scotty Goldman

- Kendrick got the win via pinfall. The match was slow throughout. After the match, Zeek comes in a tackles Goldman.

* Triple H is backstage when a video of last week's arm wrestling match airs. Kenny Dykstra interrupts the promo and informs Hunter that he will face him tonight.

* A SummerSlam promo highlighting Batista is shown.

* Khali comes out comes out to the ring and cuts a promo. Triple H comes out. Next is Kenny. Khali stays outside to observe the match.

* Triple H b. Kenny Dykstra

- Triple H got the win via pinfall after hitting a pedigree. He then fights with Khali clotheslining him out of the ring. They have a staredown as Khali exits.

* Big Show b. Ryan Reddick

- Reddick doesn't even make a formal entrance. Big Show squashes him with a knockout punch followed by the three-count.

* MVP cuts a promo backstage.

* Vickie is backstage again with Victoria. She is still panicking.

* Ron Killings video promo is shown.

* Victoria rolls Vickie to her limo where she finds Edge inside. She screams and falls to the ground. Edge gets out and tells Vickie he's taking her to hell. Vickie cries.

* Vladimir Kozlov b. Festus

- Kozlov got the win via pinfall.

* A 15th Anniversary Raw DVD video package is shown.

* Edge is still rolling Vickie around backstage. She is screaming at the top of her lungs. Edge says he will roll her to the ring.

* Edge comes out to the ring with Vickie. He cuts a promo talking about marriage. He then shows a video of "memory lane" between him and Vickie. Edge pleads with her to apologize to The Undertaker. She says she's sorry. Edge begs for The Undertaker to come out. He then walks up the stage while Vickie stays in the ring crying as SmackDown goes off the air.

Off Air:

* A WrestleMania XXIV video package is shown.

Dark Match:

* Elijah Burke b. Stevie Richards

- The match was slow throughout & the crowd could have cared less. Burke got the win via pinfall.

* A SmackDown vs. Raw 2008 video game highlight package is shown.[/Quote]

Guest Jimmy Redman

To start, we recap the shockingly shocking Edge swerve of Black Rose DOOM last week. I still love Edge going psycho, which is good work, because I really dont love Edge.

This match is for The U-nited States Cham-pionship. Jeff Hardy comes out and blows YOUR television speakers, in another shocking turn of events. JR gets his Striker on and busts out a "Bobo Brazil beating Blackjack Mulligan" to start the show. Nice first 5 minutes before the first break, culminating in a Jeff near-fall. That sounds eerily like last week. Whats that you say? Another great 10-odd minutes with a bunch of great spots and near falls, before a disappointing result? Get OUT of here! Seriously, just as good as last week's match and perhaps better. GREAT Shelton Dragon Whip kick, and GREAT spot with a Shelton Sunset Flip over the top rope into a Jeff huricanrana on the floor. Eventually Jeff climbs up for the Swanton for the MVP push and DQ. MVP misses Jeff and kicks Shelton, Jeff Twists of Fates MVP and Swantons both him and Shelton to end. Great stuff all round, and amazingly, Shelton freakin' Benjamin is 3 from 3 this month.

Backstage, Vickie is backstage in a grey suit. Such a classy lady. But enter the classiest of classy ladies, VICTORIA! Vickie babbles distractedly about Edge and Taker being 'here'. But who really cares, as long as VICTORIA is on TV? Sadly, it is only as Vickie's babysitter, but hey, we cant have it all.

Michelle! Man, this episode is all good so far. Maria is so, so over, probably the most over female in the company, just ahead of Mickie (outside Virginia of course). Maryse! She has new music and a new ring jacket, I like it. I really, really like the bit in Natalya's theme music that kicks in about 20 seconds in, with the jungle-ish xylophone-type sound. Anywho, Maria and Maryse to start, which is the worst possible combination, but we'll see. Maryse deploys her usual heel tactics, but puts the icing on the cake by taking Maria down and climbing the turnbuckles to bask in celebratory glory. Genius. She then prepares to lock up fo' realz, before SWERVING and tagging in Natalya. Double genius. Nattie beating on Maria for the Michelle tag. I dont like her one-legged dropkicks, they look weak. A few reversals and a couple of European uppercuts by Michelle. Thats it Michelle, show her who the technician is! BOOM! Oh Holy Jesus, Michelle killed Maryse with a right hand, Brock Lesnar eat your freakin' heart out! Natalya roll up for the win. She'll re-challenge soon I'd wager.

The Brian Kendrick comes out with The Ezekiel. He talks again, with some good stuff. Zeke speaks. A sentence. A random theme come-COLT F*CKING CABANA!! Colt Cabana on TV! Holy freakin' Jesus. 'Scotty Goldman', they changed his name. Epic failure. Never fear, however, because he cuts the most entertaining 'Superstar in the little box' promo in the history of the universe. Epic, epic win. He got a bit of offense in to start, but it ended up being The normal Kendrick squash: Death By Kicking. Epic failure. A 'Lets Go Scotty' chant, the man is OVER already motherfunker! Post-match, The Kendrick holds THE Colt Cabana up for The Zeke shoulder tackle. Cena eat your heart out. Seriously, COLT CABANA IS NOW ON SMACKDOWN. Thats all you need to know about this match. Thats all you need to know about anything, ever. Holy Moses, this is the best Smackdown ever so far.

Backstage, Eve is backstage with HHH, who is backstage. Well, so much for that. They recap the DOOM of last week, and HHH talks. Who I thought was Onion Singh (I wasnt in the room), but turned out to be, of all people, Kenny Dykstra, interrupts. At least Kenny is still alive. Apparently they made a match.

Khali and Onion come to the ring. Khali cuts another money promo, this time I heard "Triple H", "Summerslam" and "Hulk Hogan". I dont think the latter was intentional though. Runjin Singh translates, but fails by saying the words "WWE Universe". HHH (rightfully) takes offense at this and comes out for his match. Runjin Singh joins commentary, Khali stays at ringside. Kenny actually gets a surprisingly large amount of offense on HHH, before the quick pin. For the second time this episode, a huge-ass Smackdown logo pops up on the screen, that was random. I'm not sure if this is a regular occurance, but I've never seen this before. HHH asks Khali to Just Bring It, Onion tries to cut him off at the pass but gets kidnapped into the ring as ransom. Mission: accomplished as this brings Khali into the ring for the showdown. CHOP OF DOOM attempt of failure, Pedigree attempt of failure, a clothesline out of the ring of failure. Its been a pretty decent build, really.

Well, its the Big Show. The Tazz tries to claim that jobbers get scared and try to get out of jobbing to Show. 1992 this is not, and Vader he is definitely not. Two guys debuting in one episode. I thought T-Lo had the Talent Initiative? I dont know who Ryan Braddock is, but he looks vaguely familiar. Easy Show squash, finish was a nice knockout punch. Not quite as nice as Michelle's though. ANOTHER SD logo! What the hell is going on? This is irritating me.

It is occuring to me that Vickie's paranoia will probably main event the show. Speaking of which, backstage, Vickie is backstage with VICTORIA, who is backstage reading WWE Magazine, available now in newsagents everywhere. She should really be listening to her theme music ringtone, her music rules. Vickie says there's a little part of her that still loves Edge, but after last week she NEVER wants to see him again. Maybe she can just close her eyes every week for the show or something. She gets flustered and asks VICTORIA to wheel her to her car; she's leaving. I dont even need to tell you that this smells like shenanigans.

Backstage, MVP is backstage hanging up his clothes. Literally, with actual clothes hangers. Eve comes backstage but MVP snatches the mic (biatch!) and cuts a great, great promo. Watch this.

Backstage, VICTORIA is wheeling Vickie to her car. The window winds down and EDGE is there! Squeeeee! VICTORIA quickly realises that discretion is the better part of valour. Serves Vickie right for making her babysit her and listen to her stupid problems. VICTORIA doesnt have man problems. Man problems are for sissies. Anywho, Vickie ends up on the floor as Edge rants and raves madly to her again. He puts her in the chair and wheels her away, laughing and even doing a Hornswoggle jig. Stay tuned for updates on Vickie's kidnapping. BUT, more importantly, stay tuned for KOZLOV v FESTUS!

Here we go. This is many buys, and technically, since after this is only Vickie's kidnapping, this is YOUR main event. Festus dominates to start, and is stiffing the life out of Kozlov with his strikes. They both throw each other, Festus hits all of his moves, bar his finish. He runs the ropes but straight into an ARM HEADBUTT for the Kozlov win. When was the last time Festus got pinned? In any case, we've witnessed history here folks. Simply amazing stuff.

We have an amazing Batista/Cena video. Seriously, practically all WWE videos are good, but this one was nice as hell. Although it now occurs to me that this big Cena/Batista match wont (well, shouldnt) even main event the damn PPV. Epic failure. We then recap Summerslam. I'd forgotten all about HBK's big announcement. Huh.

Backstage, Edge is terrorising Vickie backstage by wheeling her around maniacally and driving her into random objects which, conveniently, are backstage. He has definitely been watching The Dark Knight. She keeps screaming, and he babbles a bit and then says he's taking her to the ring. Which will be next.

Wow, speak of the devil. A HBK injury of DOOM recap video. They'll be sure not to let me forget again, it seems.

Edge's music hits and he wheels Vickie down to ringside. Still on the floor, he tips Vickie out to the floor and plops down beside her. Again, this is very, very Joker. He babbles, he shows another top-notch recap video, and I realise that the black chick hasnt been seen for a while. I thought they were planning shenanigans with her. Anywho, Edge babbles some more, in a good way. I liked "You wanted me to burn in hell? Mission accomplished!" and then the rest of the promo. He teases Taker, but of course, no Taker. You have to pay for that folks. He ends with "Edge versus Undertaker: Till Death Do Us Part", crouching over a still hysterical Vickie. End show. Edge's insanity is still fun, but its really deflating as the end of a show, especially with no Taker to speak of.

Smackdown was amazing in its amazingness. Colt Cabana debuted, Jeff v Shelton ruled hard, Colt Cabana debuted, the women's match was fun, Colt Cabana debuted, Festus and Kozlov collided like two locomotives, Colt Cabana debuted, MVP cut a very MVPesqe promo, Colt Cabana debuted, and Edge going psycho was fun. Did I mention Colt Cabana? Well, Colt Cabana.

In conclusion, watch this. And Colt Cabana.

Guest BlackEyed
so spanky vs colt how long was the match?

It was probably about 4-5 mins...Cabana got minimal offence in, but he was pretty over I'd say...His promo was great, and Tazz likes him (don't know if that makes a difference, but there you go)

Hopefully this'll be the start of good things for him in WWE

Guest Jimmy Redman

Smackdown, the traditionally wrestling-orientated show, hasnt had a main event match since five weeks ago (Edge v Show), and even that had shenanigans afterward. The last time they had a main event match with nothing afterwards was Batista v Khali, nine weeks ago.

Odd tidbit for you all.

Smackdown, the traditionally wrestling-orientated show, hasnt had a main event match since five weeks ago (Edge v Show), and even that had shenanigans afterward. The last time they had a main event match with nothing afterwards was Batista v Khali, nine weeks ago.

Odd tidbit for you all.

In the UK, everything after Kozlov/Festus was removed from the broadcast due to "excessive domestic abuse" from Edge to Vickie.

Festus v Koslov was great, with hard shots being laid in by both guys. Colt Cabana was Colt Cabana in everything but name (pre-match promo, taunts and the moves he did - as little offence as he had - where all classic Cabana), and Kendrick/Zeke were as impressive as ever.

Jeff Hardy (w/ monstrous ovation) v Shelton Bemjamin (w/ kickpads that have laces drawn on them) had another great match, while MVP seems to have dropped the Playmaker (thank God) and is pushing the Shining Black as his finisher.

HHH v Kenny was alright, but with no real shocks involved. It couldn't touch the promo from Khali (who times his lines perfectly for the "What" chants). I'm pretty sure he even says "COWABUNGA" at one point.

It was a decent show, but I have to wonder why the Edge/Vickie stuff was removed this week, yet the replays of last week were shown pretty much in full.

Edited by DC

Guest Jimmy Redman

The most "violence" he did was dump her out of the chair into the floor. Oh, and wheel her around aggressively.

Seriously. Thats wack.

Guest MastersGonads
The most "violence" he did was dump her out of the chair into the floor. Oh, and wheel her around aggressively.

Seriously. Thats wack.

I dont think so. Violence doesnt have to be physical. It could quite easily be argued that the close up shots of her anguish as she was shaking and crying excessively at the mental torture, has no place on post watershed viewing, let alone daytime shows, especially on a sport show, for a show, that has a large audience of children.

I think the decision to remove it, is easily justifiable.

It was a decent show, but I have to wonder why the Edge/Vickie stuff was removed this week, yet the replays of last week were shown pretty much in full.

In fact certain shots from the replays of last week, that were deemed too much were removed from both, while the package was heavily edited, to fit in with the regulations set

Edited by MastersGonads

Guest Cathal
I dont think so. Violence doesnt have to be physical. It could quite easily be argued that the close up shots of her anguish as she was shaking and crying excessively at the mental torture, has no place on post watershed viewing, let alone daytime shows, especially on a sport show, for a show, that has a large audience of children.

I think the decision to remove it, is easily justifiable.

But isn't there a warning before the show saying that the scenes and storylines in the programme aren't suitable for children?

Guest MastersGonads
But isn't there a warning before the show saying that the scenes and storylines in the programme aren't suitable for children?

Yes, but its not just children that are effected by domestic violence is it?

I can understand for a fan its frustrating, but there are certain guidelines that have to be followed, and domestic violence of any sort, especially on a channel that is designated to sport, which to be honest that final segment was as far from, was just pushing the boundaries too far

What baffles me is that half the time wrestling fans are saying there's too much promo ness and not enough wrestling but when something is cut out (that wasn't needed, i don't suppose) fans are still unhappy.

Stuff the editing, i wanted more Colt!!!

If they let Cabana run with mic work in the same vein as his pre-match promo, I can see him being a hit. It seems that he was allowed to do that on his own, mainly because it was the same style of promo he was doing outside of WWE.

If that is the case, then hopefully that'll spread to the rest of the roster.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
What baffles me is that half the time wrestling fans are saying there's too much promo ness and not enough wrestling but when something is cut out (that wasn't needed, i don't suppose) fans are still unhappy.
I think the problem arises for many that this angle is leading to (arguably) the biggest match at SummerSlam, so now Sky have cut this whole promo out anything that happens next week referencing the events on this Smackdown won't make sence to them as they didn't see what happened

Having watched it, admittedly without sound, I don't think it went any more further then last week when Edge had Vickie in the corner crying and visibly terrified while he shouted at her menacingly, but thats my opinion without knowing what was said, but his actions themselves seemed alot less menacing towards her this week then previous

Guest Da Showstoppa
If they let Cabana run with mic work in the same vein as his pre-match promo, I can see him being a hit. It seems that he was allowed to do that on his own, mainly because it was the same style of promo he was doing outside of WWE.

If that is the case, then hopefully that'll spread to the rest of the roster.

"Hey I'm trapped in a box!" I was laughing for several minutes after that - great promo.

As for the big issue, having witnessed several domestic violence episodes in person, I didn't really find the segment that offensive - but Sky made the call. Unfortunately Smackdown ended rather too abruptly with the stock Summerslam promo (which featured similar confrontation between Edge and Vickie)

Edited by Da Showstoppa

Guest ScottyB

Smackdown, for what I saw due to Sky constantly losing signal due to the Mother F****** rain, was good.

I'm glad the entire last segment was cut, as I lost everything after Festus/Kozlov.

Colt makes me happy :)

Anyone have any idea who the guy show was against? He seem's too big to be a jobber.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity