Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Foley to TNA?

Guest Dave7g

Guest Dave7g
WWE legend Mick Foley will jump to rival wrestling group TNA next month, a close friend has told The Sun.

The hardcore icon has become frustrated with his role as a commentator on Smackdown and wants to leave Vince McMahon’s company when his contract expires on September 1.

And he is so determined to make an IMPACT for his new employers, that he’s even willing to get back in the ring.

Foley’s pal told us: “Mick's body cannot handle a full time schedule, even in TNA.

“But he's hell bent on doing everything he can to further his legacy and put them on the map.

"So Mick's plan is to wrestle select dates, like Sting currently does.

“He feels he will legitimately make a big difference in the way TNA Wrestling is perceived by the public!”

Mick missed last night’s Smackdown TV taping for the second week running, with Tazz once again taking his announcer spot beside Jim Ross.

Last week, Foley told a newspaper: “At this point, there is a good chance, through mutual agreement that I will not be renewing my contract.

“Creatively, the announcing job wasn't working out too well.”

The hardcore legend almost went to TNA once before, in 2005, but decided to sign a new deal with the WWE at the last moment.

The Sun.

Interesting if it happens. Makes sense for him at this hour of his career.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Beltster

Foley would certainly help TNA's talent pool as far as name reconition goes, and he still has good to great matches the odd time he does wrestle so I think he could help there too. Personally I havent been a fan of Foley since he retired and just became a master mark for himself, but if he gets back in the ring here and there and gets an unscripted role where he can talk, I'd watch.

I think Foley would mean more to TNA then both Kurt Angle and Booker T personally.

Guest MastersGonads

Personally, I cant see that Foley moving will help the product, or raise the profile of TNA more than an initial spike of curious people wanting to see Foley in TNA like Angle and Booker T did.

Fair play on Foley that he would rather continue his legacy, rather than take the green by staying with the WWE, but as Belty said, Foley in recent years has taken himself way to seriously, (even thinking that he can make that big a difference of TNA is percieved) to the point he is almost a parody of his former self, so I wonder if there is much of a legacy to continue.

Guest Nemesis Enforcer
Can't say that Foley arriving would make me watch TNA out of the blue, it would all depend on what they did with him that would decide if I started watching or not. If, like Belty said, they gave him some mic time without a script and let him do his own thing then I would watch, but if he was just used like any other guy in dead end feuds then simply it being Foley wouldn't tempt me in

I definatly think adding Foley would elevate TNA somewhat, but i think if it was going to not only attract viewers but keep them aswell, then the his role and initial sorylines/fued would have to be something special and unique to what TNA are currently producing.

Personally i'd love to see it happen though. Another positive note would be i'd love to see Tazz back on SD!

Guest The Boss

Foley will definetly give TNA mor credibility amongst most wrestling fans. But I don't know if he'll effect their ratings much. He's not a household name and therefore few will notice outside the wrestling community. But I'm glad he's doing it.

I hope he goes as Cactus Jack. As Mick Foley he comes across as too much of a whiner.

foley vs abyss would be a must
Maybe three years ago it would have been a big deal.

The biggest obstacle I could see in him being taken seriously in TNA is the way his last appearance on WWE TV ended. It could (I'm not saying it will) be looked at as him not being able to take it "in the big leagues" anymore and running with his tail between his legs to a "lesser" level of competition.

I know it's all scripted and all that jazz, but there are people who would look at it in that light and see TNA as the place ex-WWE guys go when they can't handle the big time anymore.

The only one of the ex-WWE guys who has seemingly avoided that is Christian.

Guest DarkMatchJobber
foley vs abyss would be a must

Mick Foley vs heel Abyss back in 2005-2006 would have been great but I'm not sure about it now.

More than likely the match would be a 5 minute filler on Impact that is forgotten about a week later.

I think that Mick is using the TNA connection once again as a negotiating tool with WWE.

Guest Black Knight
I just don't see Mick Foley going to TNA and wrestling once again. I know he wants to expand his legency, but I don't think TNA is the way to go. Honestly.

Guest The Beltster

I dont think there is a problem with TNA being percieved as a place all the ex-WWE guys go. WCW made a pretty good bit of money being known as exactly that. ECW didnt do bad either.

Reality is, for the most part, WWF/WWE is the only company who ever really create huge stars, so when they go elsewhere and go over 'home grown talent', who gives a sh*t?! They are bigger stars, does it really matter where they come from? Not to me and not to the majority either I doubt.

I've never really understood the bashing TNA gets from filling its roster with ex-WWE guys, and then *gasp* pushing them as the bigger stars, which they are. And lets not forget, sure they are former WWE guys, but now they are current TNA guys. TNA didnt look bad by picking up Angle or Booker, all they have to do it push them out on TV for a few weeks and have them mention they wanted and preferred to come to TNA rather than be held down in WWE, and the marks will buy it, mission accomplished.

On the other hand, WWE never get bashed for picking up former WCW/ECW/TNA talent, why? They took Vader and people marked out. They took Goldberg and people marked out. They took Al Snow and people marked out. They brought in the nWo and people marked out, nobody bashed them whatever ever for any of the guys they brought in from other promotions. Its such a massive double standard.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Jimmy Redman
I dont think there is a problem with TNA being percieved as a place all the ex-WWE guys go. WCW made a pretty good bit of money being known as exactly that. ECW didnt do bad either.

Reality is, for the most part, WWF/WWE is the only company who ever really create huge stars, so when they go elsewhere and go over 'home grown talent', who gives a sh*t?! They are bigger stars, does it really matter where they come from? Not to me and not to the majority either I doubt.

I've never really understood the bashing TNA gets from filling its roster with ex-WWE guys, and then *gasp* pushing them as the bigger stars, which they are. And lets not forget, sure they are former WWE guys, but now they are current TNA guys. TNA didnt look bad by picking up Angle or Booker, all they have to do it push them out on TV for a few weeks and have them mention they wanted and preferred to come to TNA rather than be held down in WWE, and the marks will buy it, mission accomplished.

On the other hand, WWE never get bashed for picking up former WCW/ECW/TNA talent, why? They took Vader and people marked out. They took Goldberg and people marked out. They took Al Snow and people marked out. They brought in the nWo and people marked out, nobody bashed them whatever ever for any of the guys they brought in from other promotions. Its such a massive double standard.

Its not so much the fact in itself that they push ex-WWE talent, but the fact that they do it at the expense of some of their own guys whom they should be pushing and creating into stars.

WWE bring in outside stars, but they also make their own at the same time. TNA dont.

Guest The Beltster
Its not so much the fact in itself that they push ex-WWE talent, but the fact that they do it at the expense of some of their own guys whom they should be pushing and creating into stars.

WWE bring in outside stars, but they also make their own at the same time. TNA dont.

But like I said, so what? WWE are the only company who creates their own stars really, and the only company who ever have.

WCW had Goldberg, Sting and I guess you could say the Giant. Ric Flair was already a star in the NWA. They made most of their money off of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Randy Savage and so on, all WWF guys. WCW were always known as the company where all the WWF guys go.

Who blames TNA for pushing ex WWE guys over TNA guys, the WWE guys are bigger stars and look, as soon as they work for TNA, they are TNA wrestlers, what difference does it make whether they were created or became stars in WWE, they are still current TNA stars and should be pushed at their own value.

There is no good argument to support people moaning about any company using guys who got over somewhere else over the guys who havent worked anywhere else IMO. Its stupid.

If Foley does go, and I'm not saying he definetly won't, because I'm currently reading the Hardcore Diaries in which he says how close he was to going there some years ago, but the book deal won't be a factor at all as he has offers independly for his books

Guest Chriscare
ut like I said, so what? WWE are the only company who creates their own stars really, and the only company who ever have.

WCW had Goldberg, Sting and I guess you could say the Giant. Ric Flair was already a star in the NWA. They made most of their money off of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Randy Savage and so on, all WWF guys. WCW were always known as the company where all the WWF guys go.

But that's why WWE are the only company that have ever survived. Because they make their own stars.

Guest The Beltster
But that's why WWE are the only company that have ever survived. Because they make their own stars.
Nonsense. Are you really trying to make out that WWE have survived whereas the others havent due to them building stars? Thats so far from the truth.

WCW went out of business because TV execs didnt want wrestling on their networks, ECW went out of business pulling sell out crowds and making money on merch and PPV's because they couldnt get TV. They didnt go out of business because they didnt build their own stars (although ECW was much better at it than WCW).

TNA get crapped on for not creating their own stars, yet they are here and seemingly doing pretty good with monthly PPV's, a primetime 2-hour TV show, national and international exposure, DVD and toy sales etc...so that kinda kills the argument that if you dont make your own stars you are doomed right away.

Guest Jayfunk

also whom do you mean by WWE homegrown?

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity