Fan Clubs (beta)

Open Club  ·  55 members  ·  Free

Wrestling

Talent Who Would Actually Raise TNA's Profile

Guest DarkMatchJobber

Guest DarkMatchJobber
Right...basically I thought of this after reading the 'Foley to TNA?' thread and the question of whether he would raise TNA's profile came up quite a bit so what I am interested in finding out is are there any wrestlers out there (of course not attached to WWE) who you think WOULD raise TNA's profile?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DarkMatchJobber
Whilst there is no argument that Hogan is the biggest star the wrestling industry has ever seen or perhaps ever will see his name value would probably have a brief impact (no pun intended) on the company's ratings and I doubt their profile would increase much at all.

Guest The Beltster

Hulk Hogan, without question. Really, there is no argument that holds any water that says he would have an adverse effect, IMO. His current legal problems wouldnt mean jack, wrestling fans dont give a toss about things like that, if they did they wouldnt watch wrestling at all due to all the legal nonsense most of the guys have been involved with over the years. He wouldnt make ratings go through the roof, but he might help the numbers a bit, would make TNA a mint in merchandise and help to sell tickets to arena shows if he actually worked them (which is highly doubtful).

The Rock - Nobody could do more for TNA right now than the Great One, IMO.

Goldberg - Short term ratings hike.

Brock Lesnar - Could go either way with him, but I think he would help at least with credibility.

Steve Austin - If he were willing to wrestle on every or every other PPV, he would bump the numbers I expect.

Guest MastersGonads

We all know, Hogan isnt the force or the draw he once was. He may spike the ratings for 2-3 weeks, amongst wrestling fans but is that really raising the profile of the company? As these are fans who are fully aware of TNA already

Or like seen with WWE, after that time would people just get bored of Hogan and move on?!

For me, for example Mayweather raised the profile of the WWE, but would Brock Lesnar even The Rock actually raise the profile of the company? I really dont think so...

Guest The Boss
Funny, as I think these days Hogan would have an adverse affect...

Amongst internet smarks maybe. But they represent a very small portion of wrestling fans.

The group he will have the biggest effect on are the casual fans who represent the majority of fans.

Most of them don't even know TNA exsists. They will tune in at first just to see Hollywood Hulk Hogan :worship . And hopefully, once introduced to the promotion TNA will be able to win over a large share of those fans and keep them watching even after Hollywood Hulk Hogan(God himself) leaves.

Guest The Beltster
We all know, Hogan isnt the force or the draw he once was. He may spike the ratings for 2-3 weeks, amongst wrestling fans but is that really raising the profile of the company? As these are fans who are fully aware of TNA already

Or like seen with WWE, after that time would people just get bored of Hogan and move on?!

For me, for example Mayweather raised the profile of the WWE, but would Brock Lesnar even The Rock actually raise the profile of the company? I really dont think so...

But even a short term spike in numbers isnt an adverse effect surely? You said Hogan would have an adverse effect, would would mean he would either do one of the following:

1. Make ratings drop

2. Make ticket sales drop

3. Make merchandise sales drop

4. Make PPV buyrates drop

5. Make TNA's profile drop

I dont think he would do any of those things, infact I think he would be a short term relatively large ratings boost and a long term small ratings boost, I think he would bump PPV numbers if he were placed into fresh and logical feuds with guys like Angle, Booker T (they could even play off of Bash at the Beach 2000), even Joe and Christian. I know he would sell a ton of shirts and I'm sure he would help sell out smaller buildings if he ran the loop. And his name on the roster would raise their profile even if it were a small amount.

And you mention people got bored of Hogan and moved on in WWE, tell me when? This has never happened as far as I can remember...it certainly never happened in 2002, 2003, 2005 or 2006 and in his prime it didnt either. People over the years have claimed Hogans title reign in 2002 killed ratings, I've provided proof many times that that is false. His mega long 20 minute ovations might die down if he sticks around for months on end, but they are still either in the top 3 or the loudest on any given night even then.

And you mention Mayweather as a guy who raised WWE's profile...how? Did he even spike TV ratings and if so, it wasnt for any longer than several weeks, which is what you are saying if Hogan did, he wouldnt be raising TNA's profile. And the WM buyrate, although huge, was down from last year, and WrestleMania sells itself regardless of whether Floyd Mayweather was there or not so what did he actually do to raise their profile? On top of that, he is long since gone and I expect nobody really remembers him being around anyway, so his long term effect was nil poit.

Guest MastersGonads

My 'adverse affect' comment was in relation to casual fans. My response that you highlighted was actually referring to your comment of...

His current legal problems wouldnt mean jack, wrestling fans dont give a toss about things like that, if they did they wouldnt watch wrestling at all due to all the legal nonsense most of the guys have been involved with over the years

...rather than the casual fan. Now to explain myself!

To any casual fan, an appearance of Hogan in TNA, I am pretty sure IMO wouldnt raise there profile one bit, let alone ratings. This because for any casual fan, Hogan isnt a big draw anymore. They dont need to tune into TNA to see Hogan. Hogan Knows Best has acted to flood the market, so for any casual fan can get there fix of entertainment with Hogan through that. Yes he isn't wrestling, which could be a draw, but Hogan these days in in no shape to draw through his wrestling. The only thing that would do that, would be Hogan v Austin, and that would only ever occur in the WWE anyway.....

Mayweather raised the WWE profile in the mainstream, which is where it counts, does it not?! You cannot deny, that the appearance of Mayweather for a time being had the WWE on most media outlets both here and in the US. Would Hogan's appearance in TNA do the same?

Maybe I am misreading the argument completley, but for me raising the profile of TNA, has to mean more than outside the loyal demographic that will tune in weekly, or have a keen interest in wrestling. Because for those fans they will know who TNA is anyway....

Anyway I am tired...I'll be back in the morning....

Guest The Beltster

I disagree with your opinion that Hogan Knows Best has flooded the market and that the casuals would have no interest in seeing Hogan, even in the short term, in TNA, but unless it happens we could debate that forever.

Mayweather in WWE didnt raise their profile whatsoever in a longterm way. The mainstream cottoned on when he was there for WM, and stopped talking about WWE when he left, so it was a short term boost with ZERO lasting effects, that isnt raising WWE profile to me, because when the mainstream mention WWE next, they will still be doing it in a tongue-in-cheek manner calling the wrestlers "oiled up grown men in spandex pretending to fight" with the occasional mention of steroids, that will never ever EVER change. Wrestling and WWE will always be a joke to the mainstream, without a doubt in my mind.

Raising awareness of TNA would mean getting anybody outside of the usual 1.1 or whatever, to tune in. If Hogan were to boost the numbers for his appearances to, say, a 1.6+ each week, he has been a boost and he has raised awareness of the product. I think he could do this if used properly.

Edited by The Beltster

Guest Jimmy Redman
Raising awareness of TNA would mean getting anybody outside of the usual 1.1 or whatever, to tune in. If Hogan were to boost the numbers for his appearances to, say, a 1.6+ each week, he has been a boost and he has raised awareness of the product. I think he could do this if used properly.

As Belty says, it all depends on if he could boost the ratings, basically. Hogan never really affected WWE ratings for his spells in 2005 and 2006, although obviously going to TNA is a different situation as its attempting to bring TNA into the consciousness of people who otherwise wouldnt know of them/watch their shows.

On top of that, the actual problem is creating an interest enough to get more than just the short term spike. Would people keep watching once he leaves, or even once the novelty wears off?

Guest Jayfunk
On top of that, the actual problem is creating an interest enough to get more than just the short term spike. Would people keep watching once he leaves, or even once the novelty wears off?

if they did it correctly it could, get the x division guys back to how good they were in the past, bring in hogan and they show the fans what they have to offer, then they could be seen as an different option for fans

Guest the HiTman

I think Rey Mysterio would do well for TNA's ratings and sales as WWE's young audience would follow him.

That's the only other person that would probably produce a long term effect for TNA.

• Join the Club!

Become a member to participate in the forums and our Fan Clubs.

• Latest Club Activity